1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox:Mark Berman] McKinney signs 4yr deal / Texans interested in Isaac Bruce

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Luckyazn, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Mark Berman said Steve McKinney just signed a new 4 year deal that will save the Texans cap space.

Texans are interested in Ram's reciever Isaac Bruce :eek:

Carr - Bush - AJ - Bruce - Gaffney - DD :eek:

2. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Is Isaac Bruce any good and did McKinney deserve that extension?

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, doesn't look like he's going to be dropped.

Interesting news on Bruce. We might be interested, but I wonder if there's any chance he is....

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

McKinney got a 4 year deal because its cheaper (cap-wise) than to give him just a 1 year deal... but the beauty of the NFL is that they can WAIVE him any time they want, and they likely structured his deal so that they wouldn't have to take a big cap-hit WHEN (not if) they do cut him.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Bruce is at a point in his career he's either going to go to a contender or retire...not go to a building team.

I could see KC going after him...not far from St. Louis, and they're window with Trent Green anyway is closing.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Isaac Bruce is a 33 years old now, and only had 36 catches for 525 yards last season. I would only offer him a one year contract for around 1 million.

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

ummm.. he got injured last season and was out for several games.

8. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

ummm.. old guys tend to get hurt easier.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

And he was still able to get more receiving yards than Gaffney and Bradford. :p

I hope we don't waste money by resigning Bradford. Gaffney is a good 3rd option WR but we really need a more stable WR core. AJ will be AJ, Gaffney is good for 3-4 catches a game, Mathis has a ton of speed but that's about it.

Bruce would be nice but I don't think he would be a huge upgrade over Bradford and I don't think he would want to come to the ATL Hawks of the NFL in his point of his career. I could see him going to the Steelers.

10. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I think that re-signing McKinney was both a cap move and a move to keep some cohesiveness to that line. There's no doubt that they still need more talent there, but McKinney's not really the problem. And let's be reasonable...they aren't going to get rid of the ENTIRE line at the same time...althought at times most of us would've preferred that.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bruce already has a superbowl ring, he might just be looking for a little moula. I think he would be a great pick up, and a very good compliment to Andre. I've never had a problem with the receivers opposite andre, but this would be an upgrade.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...what's the big deal with Bruce. the man is past his prime...and he would likely be entirely uninterested in playing for a 2-14 team.

13. spence99

spence99 Member

So we've had probably the worst offensive line for 4 straight years, yet we keep signing them all to long term deals? To improve a terrible line, shouldn't you get some new lineman?

14. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Definitely....but I bet they are trying to see what happens with the new coaching staff first. They'll still probably go after an OL in free agency.

15. famicom

famicom Member

This must be an Aggie connection thing with McKinney and Kubiak :D

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you listen, faintly off in the distance somewhere, you can hear Chance crying girly tears of joy. :)

17. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I hope they move McKinney to LG and start Hodgedon at C.

If so, perhaps we can find a nice tackle at RT and add depth to RG.

18. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

McKinney was supposedly on 610 and he stated the coaches plan on playing him at left guard next to Pitts. The coaches hope to bring in someone to play center.

19. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Sounds like they may stick with Pitts at LT.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The Jets cut Kevin Mawae (sp). He's a 4 time pro bowler so if they can pick him up that would be a huge upgrade over McKinney at the center position.