1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

They just said on 740am in between innings that it is done. 5 years 54 mil the last year being an option.

I think those are the numbers.

2. compucomp

compucomp Member

That makes it official. As a non-texans fan I'm stunned. Up until I saw this article I thought the Williams negotiations were a smoke screen. Let the Sam Bowie and Tractor Traylor comparisons start from day 1. It just adds to the pressure that Williams has to face being the #1 pick, by being compared to Bowie and Traylor.

3. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

texans are idiots

4. buffalospeedway

Wow. Unbelievable.

What's even more surprising is that this is not on any of the big, independent sports websites yet.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Two things had to have happened.

1) They were sick of the contract demands Bush and his agent had and saw another player they project to be great in a MUCH greater need.

and

2) They have a deal in place to move up into the latter end of the 1st to get one of the other top RB prospects.

If this is the case, we are where we thought we could very well be after thier first two picks - a top-flight RB and a good DE.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are the Rockets drafting Williams?

This is the NFL.

7. Smoke

Smoke Member

Texans sign Mario Williams

Texans sign Williams
    April 28, 2006
    HoustonTexans.com

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State DE Mario Williams and plan to take him with the first overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. Williams becomes the second Texans number one pick in team history.

Williams (6-6, 291) becomes the first North Carolina State player to be taken with the first pick in the NFL draft. QB Roman Gabriel was the top overall pick of the AFL draft and went second overall in the NFL draft in 1962.

In three seasons for the Wolfpack, Williams started 34 of 36 games. He totaled 175 tackles, 55.5 tackles for loss and 26.5 sacks. His 2005 season will go down as one of the greatest in NC State history by a defensive end. He set school records in sacks, with 14.5, and tackles for loss, with 27.5. Williams’ sack total ranked fourth nationally and he finished second in tackles for loss.

Williams earned Freshman All-America honors in 2003 after recording 56 tackles (34 solos), five sacks, 13 tackles for loss, seven quarterback pressures, five passes defensed, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. As a junior in 2005, he was voted the Wolfpack’s Most Valuable Player by his teammates and was a consensus All-American.

Williams, who hails from Richlands, N.C., has been compared by many to Carolina DE Julius Peppers, who was drafted second overall in 2002. Following a stellar prep career at Richlands High School where he was an All-State and All-South selection, Williams’ high school jersey (number 82) was retired.

The Texans have spent their past four first round draft picks on the defensive side of the ball. DT Travis Johnson was the 16 th overall selection in 2005, and CB Dunta Robinson and LB Jason Babin were taken with the 10 th and 27 th in the 2004 draft. The Texans’ first pair of first-round picks were offensive players—QB David Carr in 2002 (1 st overall) and WR Andre Johnson in 2003 (3 rd overall).

Williams’ signing marks the second time that the Texans have had their first-round pick signed before the draft. QB David Carr agreed to a contract prior to becoming the Texans’ first-ever draft choice in 2002. The Texans felt that agreeing to terms with the top pick was important in order to ensure that the player will begin training camp along with the rest of the team.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

ESPN just confirmed that the Texans will draft Williams tomorrow for sure, they broke into the Cavs-Wizards game to relay the news.

This would absolutely be the dumbest move in NFL -- no, scratch that -- sports HISTORY if they pass on Reggie Bush AND Vince Young for this guy.

What a bunch of f***ing morons! Who the f*** runs that organization, a bunch of monkeys? Actually, I take that back, it's an insult to monkeys everywhere! :mad:

I am fuming, absolutely pathetic and will ensure the Texans will lose a bunch of fans in this city for it.

From a marketing standpoint alone, how can you pass on not only the hometown kid, but also a consensus #1 pick and one of the best draft prospects in ages?

This doesn't make any sense! And no, I don't think the Texans are bluffing, they will take Williams. :mad:

Screw this stupid team!

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so they piss off a lot of people by not ever really going after young. not a good move but...

lots of people in houston are hyped about reggie bush being on the team (maybe even more than want vince), and are buying into the "best prospect ever" analysis and the Texans seem to be as well. so as long as they take him, the fans are still happy and excited. but now...

they aren't taking either? the only reason to not take vince was b/c reggie was around, apparently. maybe lots of people think williams is the best player. maybe he'll be an HOFer while young and bush never amount to much or are just good, but the Texans are going to be in a world of hurt while they wait to find out. if he turns out not so good and those two (or one) become all-timers, they will never live it down.

just very weird to think they are actually going to pick this guy after i had already gotten used to the idea of bush being on the team. while they apparently can't trade down and get williams, it seems like the obvious choice would be to trade down if you weren't taking bush. get one of the top 7 and some more picks. mario can't be this good can he?

10. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

This has been a very mistake-prone summer for this stupid team. Mistake 1: resign David Carr. Mistake 2: declare not to take Vince Young. Mistake 3: this...gosh i hate the texans

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

This ****ing pisses me off to no end. I wish I can get a refund on my tickets next season. We have the opportunity to get either VY or Bush and we botch it. Way to go McNair. **** you and the Texans!

12. compucomp

compucomp Member

No, but passing up Bush could very well be as bad as passing up Jordan. This is why the name Sam Bowie will come up tomorrow, guaranteed.

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I think the draft party tommorrow isn't going to be much of a party now. Can the Vince and Reggie people form a truce to burn Reliant stadium to the ground. More news as it develops.

14. twoface723

twoface723 Member

:eek: WTF?
    I could understand not taking Young, but not taking Bush? **** YOU TEXANS. I will never watch you'll again. Stupid move. I hate yall forever.

15. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Pass up Bush AND Young. What a bunch of morons.

16. twoface723

twoface723 Member

:mad:
    I want to kill everyone involved with the Texans. This pisses me off.

17. compucomp

compucomp Member

This is the NFL, not the NBA, but it needs to be mentioned: Portland had a young Drexler, and needed a center in 1984. So drafting on need, they take Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. It is quite possible the Texans have made the same mistake.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Drafting Mario Williams addresses one of the biggest needs they've had since the inception of the franchise. This will be the first legit pass rusher they've had. However, i understand passing on the hometown hero for "the most hyped prospect in years", but this is tough to swallow. It won't create a short term buzz like a Reggie or Vince. It should pay dividends a few years down the road.

The bottom line is i'm torn on this. I'd still draft Reggie ahead of Mario, but i can live with a Julius Peppers clone.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Direct TV would like to thank Bob McNair for driving up the sales for Sunday Ticket.

I don't have a problem with the Mario pick but not at # 1. You take Bush or VY.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I hope the Texans feel the pinch at the cash register, this is incredibly stupid! Even a casual NFL fan such as myself was hyped up and ready to follow the Texans more closely this upcoming season, just knowing that we would have either VY or RB in a Texans uni got me extremely excited.

This is like passing up Kobe Bryant for Ben Wallace...pathetic! :rolleyes: