1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I just think that the top 1-7 has players that could potentially be great. I think that NO and Tennessee aren't looking for a RB. Jets are more in need of a QB, so no reason to trade their pick for Bush. There are potentially 3 great QBs coming out early in the first round and NO are not looking for a QB, so they really don't need to trade unless it's Mario they wanted.

SF wants Bush, but will settle for Vernon Davis. and Packers are in the NO/Tenn situation where an offense tackle like D'Brick or AJ Hawk could come out just as well. The Texans need a high draft pick even if they trade down, so the scenario shifts and there's nothing that any other teams could offer that might interest the Texans.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If this goes down, you will see my PSLs on ebay tomorrow.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, you had no problem with the VY advocates who said they wouldn't be fans anymore?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps Bush's camp is trying to steer him to a more high profile place... like New York.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

ROFL. It's getting ugly, folks. Now we get to watch the pro-Bush crowd go apesh*t and the pro-Young crowd call them unreasonable. Meanwhile, the pro-Ferguson crowd (apparently, I'm an army of one) gets to sit back and laugh. :)

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Hey, Williams is not the sexy pick, but he is a great pick. It's harder to find a great DE than a great RB. They could find a great RB in later rounds like many other teams do. I was an advocate of drafting Bush, thought he would be a huge asset to the team, but Williams could be a game changer at the position.

Remember, the rumor has it they want to move into the bottom of the 1st. They could get one of the other good RBs that will still be there with that pick if they really wanted.

For all the talk about VY and Bush, many have forgotten that defense (and the trenches period) wins championships and this is a step in the right direction.

I've always said that they really can't go wrong drafting in the top 5 or so in this draft and such a horrible season couldn't have come at a better time. I'm still EXCITED about tomorrow and watch as the Texans have their best draft in thier brief history.

7. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

sportsradio 610 Lance Z was just on and said his sources are confirming Mario will be the #1 pick tommorow

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've always been in the pro-we can't possibly **** this up. Even if we take Mario, I still believe that. A deep draft and a team with so many holes at the top.

9. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Mario may be great and all...but is he a #1 pick????
    Jeez, they should take what is considered to be the BEST PLAYER in the draft right in front of you.
    This is not going to be a very positive thing for the organization.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Bush is the sexier pick, but if the Texans really do have Williams rated as highly then picking him is a good move. I was really warming to the idea of an exciting offensive team, though. I don't think you can depend on Dominick Davis.

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Well then. What would you think about the Texans trading up into the bottom of the first round to pick up LenDale White?

12. dumbholly

dumbholly Member

Looks like its a 5 year deal, w/ a player option. forgot what the figures are. gonna make him the first pick tomorrow

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It's just another turn in this saga. They're trying to get Bush to come down or NO to move up to take Mario.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Holy creap. They should just let the 15 minutes expire, let NO take Bush first, then take Mario second. That way, we don't have to pay him 1st pick money. :)

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Well before Vincemania people were calling 610 and saying if they don't take Bush they were not going to be fans of the team anymore.

16. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

I just saw it too

You're kidding me, no VY, no Bush.

Texans are a bunch of idiots.

17. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Great times in Houston my friends...

I think this is a great move for the team, but it is a PR blunder.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What media outlet do you work for?

Have you ever seen this done before?

How could you possibly be so damn sure that this is just "another turn"?

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, they won't cash in on any of that instant "Bush-mania" hype... but in the long run, its whoever's team ends up winning more.

Even Barry Sanders (despite being the greatest RB of all time) was mostly an afterthought in the "hype" department, because of where he played, and because his team was bad.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It's all in the game. There are 7 potentially superstar players heading up this draft class. This is the deepest draft in several years. The Texans are trying to get every ounce of value out of this pick. I like what they are doing. Sit back and watch it unfold. As long as we wind up with Bush, MW, or VY, it will all make sense.

What we really need to do is send David Carr and our Bush to the Jets for their top 3 picks this year and first rounder next year. Then draft VY at 4, take the best CB at 29, and then get some offensive linemen and linebackers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then next year, between our pick and the Jets top pick, maybe we can leverage a shot at Adrian Peterson, a bigger, more durable, sensational running back as well.

hahahaha