1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

ESPN.com Texans focusing on Williams

Not sure if it's posted, I put it on the "reggie or someone else" thread

Even as Houston Texans officials continued to insist they have made no decision about the first selection in the draft, there were strong indications Friday afternoon that the team has redirected its focus to North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.

Texans executives were in substantive negotiations with Ben Dogra, the representative for Williams, throughout the day. Conversely, ESPN.com learned that the agent for Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush had not heard from the Texans, as of late Friday afternoon, in more than 24 hours.

The two sides spoke twice Thursday, but only briefly and made no progress toward an accord. During the week, progress was incremental and one person close to the discussions termed them "a little bit like being in quicksand."

In addition, league sources told ESPN.com that, in terms of guaranteed money, the latest offer made to Williams exceeds the best proposal made to Bush.

Minus any conversations with the Bush camp since Thursday, there seemed little chance the Texans could strike a pre-draft accord with the draft's highest-profile performer even if they were to jump-start the negotiations on Friday evening.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken. He reiterated that the Texans were serious about both players, negotiating with both agents, and that one of the two would be the top pick.

Dogra, however, was originally reluctant to enter into negotiations because he felt that his client might be used to force Bush into a deal. Clearly, the Texans convinced him that was not the case.

Were the Texans to choose Williams, it would mark the first time since 2000 that a defensive player was the first prospect off the board. The Cleveland Browns chose defensive Courtney Brown with the first pick that year.

The choice of Williams by the Texans could also dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.

The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2425818

2. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Wha?? Mario better be Bruce Smith 2.0.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I just posted this in the New Info thread, but Mortenson just reported that according to Bob McNair the Texans have not been in contract talks with Bush in the last 24 hours.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you cant believe a ******* word these people tell you.... NFL exec's act like they're protecting the holy grail when it comes to draft.

this is both ridiculous and r****ded.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The only reason the Texans have to float this type of stuff around is to lower the asking price of Reggie Bush, and if that's the case, then they deserve to be the laughing stock of the NFL for years to come. Cheap bastards, give the man the money a number 1 overall pick deserves, which has always been a raise from the previous number 1 overall pick.

7. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

"It's a me, Mario!"

8. RocketFan007

They're offering between a 5-8% increase to what Alex Smith got last year, and he's a QB. How is that being cheap?

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If they take Williams over Reggie Bush then they have to be the dumbest NFL franchise ever.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Or maybe it has nothing to do with price at all, and the Texans simply believe Mario Williams is deserving of the selection? I'm far from a Bush hater, but there are plenty of other good players too. If you're convinced Williams can have a Peppers-esque impact, it's at least worth considering here.

11. JumpMan

If that's the case then why are all these stories still being floated around?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm Says there the deal is done, for Mario Williams.

12. RocketFan007

That article says nothing about the amount offered, plus Pro Football Talk is hardly a reliable source. ESPN said today that the Texans had increased their offer to 8% increase of what Smith got, Bush wants more and Williams was considering it.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Passing on Bush after passing on VY is worse than passing on VY!

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Well, Williams does play at a position of need (and a position that's hard to fill, too). Also, I'd say the talent level is very close between the two. Therefore, I wouldn't have a problem with the Texans taking Williams.

... The rest of Houston, however, would have a problem with it.

15. RocketFan007

The only problem I have with Williams is his inconsistency, didn't he have sacks in only 4 games last year? I wouldn't mind if we could get him in a trade down, but at #1, I wouldn't be really thrilled. IMO, Houston is going to riot if they take Williams at #1.

Is there really no one who wants to move up for Bush?

16. Major

Major Member

I'd like taking Williams - it fills a bigger need. But if we're going this route, I would just trade down to the 4-6 range for whatever you can get. Take either Williams or AJ Hawk - one of them will be available and both could have a huge impact. And better yet, you get to pay whoever you got much less, and you have extra picks to build the rest of the team with.

17. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I disagree

18. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I'd love that scenario, except it seems like no one is willing to give what it takes to draft Reggie or ML, or VY at the #1 spot. It seems that people are content to have whatever falls to them this year, or to trade for a spot that would draft ML at #2 or whatever else.

19. askball

askball Member

I still don't understand why, according to reports, no one really wants to trade up for the Texans slot. If Bush is so amazing, a once-in-a-generation type player, I would think teams would be offering ridiculous packages.
    After it's all said and done, the Texans will take Bush.

20. JumpMan

Well, someone is lying, either Bush is being a greedy b*stard or the Texans are being cheap bastards.

Does anyone know the average increase of #1 overall picks over the years?