1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX 26] Clemens Not Unhappy with Yankees; Lacks Desire to Play Again

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by amorephd, Oct 16, 2008.

1. amorephd

amorephd Member

Last Edited: Wednesday, 15 Oct 2008, 10:12 PM CDT
    Created: Wednesday, 15 Oct 2008, 12:26 PM CDT

Roger Clemens took part in the Wednesday pro-am attached to the Administaff Small Business Classic at the Woodlands Tournament Players Course. It's part of the Houston stop of the Champions Tour and Clemens is on the board of the tournament.

Clemens is aware of the most recent stories about him that circulated last month stating he was upset the Yankees didn't include him among those honored during their final game at Yankee Stadium and Clemens said nothing could be further from the truth.

"The reports were false as many have been over the course," Clemens said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports before his round of golf. "I don't pay attention to them. We are trying to do things the right way.

"They had some story that I was watching it. I was actually in Florida in the instructional league at the time the game was going on, the last Yankee Stadium game was happening, I was on a plane flight coming home. So I never saw any of the game itself."

"It's amazing. It goes along with supposedly (the) Bentley that I had to sell awhile back. A report that came out. I've never even owned a Bentley."

Clemens has a personal services contract with the Astros that kicks in when he officially retires. However, in the past he has worked during the offseason with some of Houston's minor leaguers and would like to do that again this offseason.

"If they ask me to be a part of that I will be there with open arms," Clemens said. "I'm there with (Astros minor league catcher) Koby (Clemens) and when we run around, and the other pitchers or players are around, it's great because I think the more I'm around, the more comfortable they are about asking questions, which is great. I enjoy helping because they are chasing their dreams."

Astros General Manager Ed Wade said utilizing Clemens right now as part of their training process is not on his radar.

"He has a huge amount of knowledge of the game, and at some point in time he will be able to lend that expertise," Wade said.

"We have a full-time staff that works with our players and if you have confidence in your staff then you oughta let them do the job and not fragment the situation."

Wade said he got his message to Clemens through Astros Assistant General Manager Ricky Bennett.

Clemens did not play in 2008. The first time he has not played in a Major League game since 1983 the year before he began his big league career and at this point said he is not interested in playing.

"Right now I don't have the desire to do so," Clemens said. "I'm enjoying what I'm doing, the number of things I'm doing around town, just enjoying that.

"I don't know if I will ever say no. I would have to know that I could perform at a high level and that my body would be able to hold up."

Clemens is an eleven-time All-Star and seven-time Cy Young Award winner.

"I think I said that a long time ago that I'm not a quitter," Clemens said. "I'm never going to quit. I think I'm just going to walk away. I think I will never be too far from the game.

"There's a time when everybody has to walk away from it, when you feel you can't do it any longer."

Clemens has filed a defamation lawsuit against his former trainer Brian McNamee for telling baseball investigator George Mitchell that Clemens used steroids and human growth hormone. The FBI is also investigating whether Clemens lied to Congress about his alleged use of performance enhancing drugs.

Clemens has been consistent in not discussing his legal issues.

"We're doing things the right way, rocking and rolling, doing it the right way," Clemens said. "We're not going to get involved with all of the stuff that's out there and that's it.

"I'm not going to discuss it one bit. We're handling it the right way."

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wasn't the story that he watched the game and was sad from his mother-in-law who was watching the game with him and Debbie?

Why yes it was...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09232008/news/regionalnews/rockets_sad_stare_130357.htm?loc=interstitialskip

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Roger, no one cares.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

That title is weird. Roger Not Unhappy? So he's happy? :confused: