1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Bulls PG Jay Williams said he attempted suicide after his bike crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SkyrimOwnsAll, Mar 26, 2013.

1. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-after-motorcycle-crash-that-took-his-career/

It was one of the NBA’s most discussed tragedies — No. 2 pick of the Chicago Bulls Jay Williams, a college legend and a guy who after one season looked like a rookie with potential at the point, crashed his motorcycle, destroyed his leg and never played again.

Nearly a decade removed from the accident, Williams reflected on it and his life afterward in a powerful piece of writing in the New York Times by Greg Bishop.

To go from national champion at Duke and future face of the Chicago Bulls to a guy who might never walk again, to a guy who had the game he was driven to play taken away from him — and with nobody to blame but himself — would be hard for anyone to live with. And Williams was honest about not wanting to live at some points.

At his lowest point, Williams did more than consider suicide. “I remember lying in my bed,” he said. “And I’m just tired of being here. I didn’t want to be here anymore. I was so afraid to face people. And I didn’t really know who I was. And I didn’t really want anybody to see me. And I didn’t want to talk to anybody. I didn’t want to talk about it.”

Williams glanced at his mother, Althea Williams, as he recounted the story. He continued: “I mean, to the point where I sat there, and I had this pair of scissors in my hand. I just kept going on my wrist. I wasn’t trying to go sideways. I was going vertical. I didn’t want to be here. At all.”

It was his mother that stopped him and it was her that made sure he didn’t go there again. She is still a crucial and close part of his life.

Go read the entire story, a few paragraphs can’t do it justice. As he says, he’s moved on and he doesn’t want pity. Williams got all the way back to the D-League but realized it was not going to go beyond that, his body wouldn’t let it. An adjustment from that would not be easy for anyone.

He works for ESPN as a college analyst and he lives a good life. One different than he imagined, but a good one. As a fan of the game it’s hard not to think about what might have been for him. But it’s hard not to be happy for him that he has found his peace with everything.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Very sad.

He was such an electrifying talent at Duke... phenomenal shooter, tenacious on-ball defender, respected leader. To this day, that '01 Duke squad stacks up with anyone. One of the most well-rounded teams in NCAA history. It included Battier (AP National Player of the Year), Williams (broke Duke single-season scoring record), Boozer, Dunleavy, and Duhon. They had some legendary wars with Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, and the Terps, and eventually took down the title over Arizona, led by Arenas and Jefferson. I still wonder what kind of pro Williams would've been. He was the complete package at the PG position.

That being said, I'm glad he's enjoying himself at ESPN. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try his hand at coaching in the next few years.

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

He's very lucky that he didn't lose his leg. The fact that he was even able to attempt a comeback is pretty amazing.

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

glad he made it through and life is okay again for him!! his gf is hot!!

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm glad he's got his life back.

Seems a long time ago, watching Dick Vitale screaming into the camera that "Jay Williams should go #1 (in the draft), baby!" The guy was and has always been Duke, Duke, Duke.

But something definitely happened to Jay Williams. The transition for him was rough. He went from idolized god on campus to....hmn, not NBA bust, but out there on the floor, the same gifts that made him so good in college were largely negated at the pro level. And the sense of privilege went away. And he got discouraged, and that compounded things.

Then that bike accident a year after the draft. Could have lost his leg. His own damn fault---it was even in his contract: no m.f. motorcycles---but you hate to see that sort of thing.

Lately you see him on TV and he seems animated and on top of life. Maybe it was a long slog, but good for him.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh spare me.

Pathetic.

This is coming from someone who lost a best friend to suicide.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, I have little patience for the weak of mind. Oh no, I graduated from Duke, oh no, is this all I have left? Grow a pair.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Smh. Leave while you still can please.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good read. Thanks for posting, OP. Don't understand the hate, but OK.

11. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Sad story. Always wondered why he wasn't in the public eye AT ALL after the accident. Horrible accident, and feel for the man.

That kid was good (huge UNC fan so really don't like DUKE), and he might have been the best Duke player to come out of that program since Grant Hill & Christian Laettner back then when the program really had some good teams that looked like some NBA talent, but it just wasn't developing NBA talent likefor example Kentucky is now a days.

Sad story indeed. Crazy to think that was the draft we won the pick to draft Yao at number one. To think that was 11 years ago this year. Good story, and sad at the same time. Wish him the best.

12. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Wow the HATE on this thread is unreal. The guy didn't end up going through with it, let it be. I have lost friends all sorts of ways, and Jay was lucky he didn't die in the bike accident. There is so much hate towards so many things, no matter what it be, in these forums. Thanks to those that aren't so negative.

It's annoying to read the negative posts after the OP was sharing a story perfect for the "Dish." No matter your opinions on the matter, as I don't enjoy someone trying to commit suicide either, but to throw up the hate, and lack of empathy shows the true underlying human nature to judge constantly.

Those with all the hate. Be in the man's shoes, but you can't so I'll use the cliche; "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it." That should be the motto here at Clutchfans anyways.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He was what 21 at the time of the crash. Sometimes younger people dont have as much handle on their emotions. It was probably from 1 minute being at the greatest of heights of accomplishment. Of National Champion, Player of the Year to almost #1 pick, to a fast precipitous drop the next minute of losing everything. Sometimes athletes don't focus on fallback options, its player-only focus. We don't know WHEN the attempt happened, after hearing he'd maybe lose his leg or can't play again?

But yeah, probably should be easier for him to see how good he still did have it compared to others. Doesnt mean its a "suck it up bro" story though either.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

I dont't hate Williams; I just think talking about thinking about suicide is horse ****. You know you're really suicidal when you at least attempt it. It's a ploy for my sympathy and he won't have any of it.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Jay Williams' inner-dialogue: "I really hope REEKO from ClutchFans starts to show sympathy for me, but I don't know how to make him. Maybe if I do an interview and tell everyone that I contemplated suicide after I went from being on top of the world to missing out on all my dreams and possibly never walking again? Yeah, that'll do it!!!"

16. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Why do people seem to hate Jay Williams? What did he do to yall?

17. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Why is talking about thinking about suicide horse ****?

You can be quite suicidal but scared too go through with it. That doesn't take away the pain of having those terrifying thoughts.

I highly doubt Jay Williams is going for your sympathy here. He is just talking about something MILLIONS of people struggle with in order to increase awareness and possibly make them feel more comfortable in their skin.

Suicide starts with suicidal thoughts, not actions. That's why discussing one's thoughts is important. It can actually prevent an attempt and possible death.

I also think it is implied he actually made a pretty serious suicide attempt by "going at his arm vertically with scissors." Regardless of that, your attitude seems to be only the ones who actually attempt suicide should be taken seriously and those who talk about their feelings are p*****s who are crying for sympathy.

Even though I disagree, so what if they are asking for sympathy? Losing everything as Williams did is exceedingly difficult and just because he doesn't have the worst life in the world doesn't mean that he can't be frustrated and possibly depressed with his situation.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I forgot about him being with Charissa Thompson. She's a beaut

Yeah I'd say things are alright for him now.

(I guess Jay doesnt get the emo cred for being "into" the cutting enough)

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Williams didn't lose everything. He lost his shot at becoming a pro basketball player. He kept a lot of his millions and got a degree from Duke. He made a stuid mistake that broke his leg. He came out pretty good compared to most.

He chose to risk his career by riding motorcycles. This was negligence by him. Not an accident. It's like giving pity to a gambler who lost his life's savings on a crap shoot.

Boo ****ing hoo

20. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

I agree, riding motorcycles is ridiculously dumb on his part (let alone without a helmet). He is also an idiot for going against he Bulls terms.

What you said in your post certainly makes me feel less sorry for him as he didn't "lose everything" like I thought. I guess I just disagree with what you said about talking about suicidal thoughts.