1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Blazers guard Mills hopes to return to NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Roxs-Redemption, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Roxs-Redemption

[rquoter]

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Former Trail Blazers guard Patty Mills says he'd like to return to the NBA when the Chinese league that holds his rights releases him.

Mills, who is from Australia, was cut by the Xinjiang Flying Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association earlier this month because of a hamstring injury. The dismissal was controversial because the Tigers alleged he was faking the injury.

The 6-foot point guard known for his speed says his hamstring is on the mend. But before he can entertain offers from the NBA, the Chinese league must also grant him a "letter of clearance."

"It would be good to get released, obviously that's what I'm hoping for. We just don't know," Mills said Wednesday night after attending the Blazers' game against the Orlando Magic.

If he is let go, it's unlikely that Mills would return to Portland in the near future because the Blazers' roster is full, including point guards Raymond Felton, Nolan Smith and Armon Johnson. Portland would have to cut someone to bring him back.

"I'd love to be back here. I don't know the chances, but obviously I feel like I'm very close to the guys on the team here and obviously to the community," Mills said. "To come back to a place like this, it definitely feels like home to me."

Mills played at St. Mary's in California and grabbed international attention when he scored 20 points for Australia in the 2008 Olympics against the gold medal-winning U.S. team. He was the youngest basketball player in Beijing at 19.

He was drafted by the Blazers in 2009 and quickly became a fan favorite. He formed a close bond with the other foreign players on Portland's roster, Nicolas Batum and Rudy Fernandez.

In 74 career games, Mills averaged 5.1 points and 1.5 assists in 11.1 minutes, providing a spark off the bench.

He was popular for his cheerleading and towel-waving for the Blazers on the sidelines, and for flashing the "Three Goggles" gesture with his hands whenever he or a teammate made a 3-pointer.

Mills waved a towel again on Wednesday night when the Blazers rallied but ultimately fell to the Magic 107-104.

Portland center Marcus Camby shouted "Miss you!" to Mills across the locker room after the game.

A free agent, Mills said he plans to get healthy and obtain his clearance before entertaining offers from NBA teams.

He'll play in the London Olympics this summer with the Boomers, the nickname of Australia's national team.
    [/rquoter]

-===Link===-

2. sinobball

sinobball Member

He did very well in China. But his departure was not pleasant. His team claims he was not injured since doctors found nothing on the MRI scan. He insisted he was and would not play. The team thinks the American coach who was fired was behind it, since he threatened the team with words like "there will be big problems if you fire me, remember it was me who got Mills to the team." and soon enough Mills was "injured". Whatever it is, at the end Mills tweeted something along the lines "I will stop eating Chinese food for a year". Even if he were wronged, it's safe to say now that he won't be getting a Chinese shoe deal or any stint in China again. Once his NBA career is over, he can go back to the Aussie league and make 1/50th of what he makes in China which is what he did at the start of this season.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

I bet Mills was really hurt. Never trust the Chinese media, the truthful story is never told. We here at Clutchfans experience that lots with false after false report surfacing from China regarding Yao.

In this case, I side with Mills. If he says he was hurt, he was hurt.

4. cod

cod Member

The doctors advised him not to play. The team supposedly wanted him to play through his injury. Typical sleazy club stiffing the lesser name players out of their money. Unfortunately this happens far too often.