1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I can't remember whose bit it was (maybe alleged wife beater Jonah Keri) but they used to refer to pitchers as either above or below "the Wandy line" which was, in their opinion, the face of "average quality big league starter".

That seems fair with Wandy. He had his moments. He pitched at times like a stud. He pitched at times like a dud. But he pretty much took the ball every day (as I remember it) it was offered to him, ate some innings of average quality. That's really a hell of a 4 starter for most teams. If he's your #3 starter you are probably hoping for things to break your way to get in the wild card game. Unless you have 3 guys just like him following 2 studs, in which case you are a playoff team, probably, without a ton of upside.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

My guess is if you could guarantee that would happen that would be what- like $60 or $65 in surplus value? That would make the MM trade really really bad.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I hated that trade.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wandy was criminally underrated. 2007-2012 he put up 18 fWAR. He was a very solid #3 for those 6 seasons and would have been a #2 on most teams. He just never had an ace season and pitched on mediocre teams for a franchise in decline. I was really disappointed in the return they got for him, although I had high hopes for Grossman.

arkoe, No Worries and awc713 like this.
  5. Screaming Fist

I still can't believe we traded him for such a light return. Even if he never pitched for the Astros in the majors, it was so obvious at the time that his value would be much higher this season.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Me too. Especially considering we ate a bunch of salary when we dealt him to Pittsburg.
    I can tell you this- if we had the Wandy of 07-12 right now we wouldn't be looking forward to throwing him in the playoffs, and we'd have still done the Greinke deal, imo, but we also probably wouldn't have gotten Wade Miley. I'd love to slot Wandy into a spot in the 2020 rotation (that Wandy anyway).

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So did everybody else. I wonder how often he thinks about the contract that he never took?

NIKEstrad likes this.
  8. Screaming Fist

Miley is such an odd pitcher. He’s still massively over performing his FIP/xFIP even though his average exit velocity has regressed this season.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Miley is a true FIP-beater. EV doesn't help much if it is pounded into the ground. Miley leads all SPs in xwOBACON (i.e., he's given up the contact that is least likely to do damage). Mmmmmm Bacon. FIP/xFIP massively underestimate how good Miley is. Not quite sure I'd count on a near 3 ERA going forward, but it isn't close to the FIP/xFIP numbers either.

marks0223 likes this.
  10. Screaming Fist

That's a good point and something I was looking at as well. I know exit velocity can be sticky for pitchers but I'm not sure how sticky xwOBACON is, although he's replicated it ever since moving to using his cutter heavily.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Overall xwOBA is as good as FIP in year to year predicting wOBA (proxy for ERA that is easier for calculations). xwOBA becomes reliable sooner. For someone like Miley, I would heavily favor xwOBA as xwOBACON is a skill that FIP only partially captures (homers can be used as a weak proxy for quality of contact).

Screaming Fist likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I love this. I love this so ****ing much, more than yall will ever know.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Now you’re just making up words.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all keep talking about BACON and you're gonna find Tyler White back on our doorstep. Watch yourselves.

arkoe, SWTsig, raining threes and 3 others like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind if the Dodgers played White this year at MMP.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blue Jays DFA David Paulino.

18. Buck Turgidson

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Surprised to see that. He’s still only 25. Although he has been constantly injured and is out of options. Would not be surprised to see him claimed.

20. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Joshua Rojas has 15 hits in his last 5 games...

Snake Diggit likes this.