1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Those of You Who Smoke...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 30, 2000.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not a smoker...but the idea that smokers are hurting the environment by throwing their butts on the road is laughable. Somehow I think the spotted owl is fine when some smoker drops his butt on the Katy Freeway.

But being a non-smoker, I find it funny that people are puffing up so much in their hot, stuffy cars in rush hour traffic on the way home. I just can't imagine doing that!! But it's none of my freaking business. Smoke all you want..until they make it illegal or too expensive!

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's still littering, and that is against the law, whether you want to smell up your car or not.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

3. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Is this still going on?!

I think it's cool that some of you feel so passionate about littering. I hate litter, too.

Recently, I went to Astroworld and ws appauled by the amount of thrash that they let accumulate. It was awful. I must be spoiled by Disney because their parks are almost always spotless. Astrowolrd was a filth haven.

Who doesn't like clean over filth.

But you know, like I said on Friday, when I walk around places like downtown or near my home, cig butts are not the most predominant form of litter. I'm not saying I don't see them. I see more litter coming out of the beds of pickup trucks than I ever see of cigarette butts. I see cans, bottles, newspapers, flyers, ads, furniture, oil, tar, anti-freeze, gum, clothing, and busted cassette tapes just to name a few.

Some of you act so incredible offended by the act of throwing out a cigarette butt yet you have made no statement about all of the other forms of litter that are a lot more noticeable.

I'm not making excuses trying to justify chunking butts. I am simply pointing out that this conversation leans more toward bias than principle.

If you feel so strong about saving the workd then open your dialog to include ALL types of pollution. Don't go on some crusade against smokers when you should be crusading against everything.

If you eliminated all cigarettes do you really think that would inprove the environment? If I am not mistaken, cows do more damage to the atmosphere (aaaaaggghhh the atmosphere) with their farts than smokers do with their breathing.

Littering is not a smoker thing, ok. Don't associate smokers with littering. Since there are less smokers in this country than non-smokers I would have to beleive that we smokers are NOT the primary offenders in the illegal art of lttering.

If dislike smokers because they smoke, fine. If you hate littering, that's cool. Just quit acting like the two are one in the same.

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Jeff's comment was this:
    In his defense:
    Perhaps it's the frequency of people smoking. Perhaps it's a mindset (that the cigarettes magically disappear). Perhaps they stink. Whichever, I rarely see people throwing coke cans out of their window. I see people, though, throwing cigarettes out of their car everyday.

I doubt that Jeff meant to suggest that all smokers were litterbugs, or that all litterbugs were smokers. Does it make you feel better if I say "don't throw anything out of a window"?

My wife laughed when I told her about this post (she smoked for 5 years). She acknowledged that cigarette butts do in fact, make your car smell worse than just smoking (news to me). She then, of course, said just empty your stupid ashtray silly-head, don't litter.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited September 05, 2000).]