1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Those of You Who Smoke...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

TheFreak:

What the f@#$? Are you making an argument that there are moral differences in littering? LOL. Littering is littering.

The valid punishment: prison rape.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just don't think that anyone here was really singling out smokers like you thought. I think it was just showing that butts are litter just like Coke. I don't care what it looks like, I care more about how it affects the environment.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Don't throw your damn gum on the ground, either! I hate when I step in hot gum and it never comes off my shoe...oh no! Do what I do...I chew my gum and put it in the ashtray [​IMG]. It bakes in the hot car, stays wet and moist, and gives off a pleasant smell. You can choose from all kinds of sweet smells. When it's time to clean it out, it's kind of gross but use WD-40 to help get the sticky crap out of your blackened ashtray. Ashtrays are a forbidden, disgusting place. They can give off nice smells, though. Peppermint, strawberry, wintergreen, shrimp scampi, cajun shrimp, barbeque shrimp, uhh....oh sorry...went off in my Forest Gump shrimp routine there [​IMG].

Give a hoot....don't pollute.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited September 01, 2000).]

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

surfguy:
    here's a thought, keep your gum wrapper and when you're done with the gum, wrap it back up and keep it in the ashtray - makes it easier to clean out later... that's what I do anyway...

As far as being allergic to smoke; it makes me want to spew! Luckily enough legislation has just been passed that prohibits smoking wherever food is being served (ie ANY restaurant!). Makes it SO much more pleasant to enjoy the flavour of a meal without having to enjoy the flavour of cigarette with it!!

The stupidest argument I've seen here: If you don't like smoke, don't go where smoke will be. Yeah - so smokers get a monopoly on all the best restaurants now?? (well not anymore!)

If someone wants to destroy their lungs/ heart etc then that is their own decision - just make that decision for yourself and NOT for everyone else. And don't try the standard smokers defense "what about other pollution?" - well that's bad too - and something else that needs to be fought, but does that give you the right to blow cigarette smoke all over an indoor area??
    I bet you wouldn't like it if I came and spat in your face would you? Sure it's offensive, but at least it's not deadly....

Thanks fatty fat fat for confirming the fact that in general smokers are selfish and don't respect anyone elses right not to smoke. (sorry to those of you who are/have been curteous smokers!)

------------------

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Space: It is the tar in the cigarettes, primarily. It may also be the nicotine but I'm not completely sure. Exhaust and log fires don't really effect me - just the cigarette smoke.

Also, cigars are not a problem.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

If you don't like your car smelling like a$$, then don't smoke in your car!! It's that simple! I mean if the smell of the ashtray bothers you, imagine how the stench of stale cigarette smoke if to us non-smokers.

You and everyone else should be fined for throwing out your butts. Your excuse that you pay your taxes and someone else should clean it up is ridiculous. I pay my taxes to and am pissed that I have to pay to clean up your mess when that money can be used for something meaningful. You're laziness and lack of respect for public property is causing people to lose out on an education, safety and money.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

7. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Okay, everybody, I think we all need to calm down a bit. Am I a smoker? Yes. Do I throw my cigarette butts in the street or on the ground? No. Am I against people doing this? Of course. But it doesn't warrant the kinds of comments I've seen on this board. While fatty could have stated his opinion in a different way, comments like "You have to be one of the selfish people on the face of the planet" and "the lowest form of life on the planet" are a bit much. I know that you probably are exaggerating a bit, but let's decide what this is: it is laziness. Laziness does not condemn one's soul to eternal damnation. State your opinion, in a mature manner such as Jeff's, but try not to blow this whole thing out of proportion.
    Save the aforementioned comments for Quitten.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Space: the pollution I'm talking about isn't air pollution like the kind generated by cars and industry. I'm talking about the kind that pollutes indoor areas and areas surrounding where smokers are.

It makes many of us ill who are allergic. Like rimbaud, I'm allergic to it as well.

As for tossing your butts onto the street, there is absolutely NO excuse for doing that. Thinking that makes your chances better with women ("I'm a single guy") is downright insulting to women who value their evnironment as much as we do.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Achebe

'a single guy' HAHAHAHA. Yeah that's reason to be the lowest form of life on the planet - a litterbug.

fatty fat fat you're a dorky dork dork.

You are one pathetic loooooooser.
    loser loser looooooooser.

Since you don't listen to reasoning, let me tell you about my style. I'm the passive agressive type. If I saw you littering, I'd follow you, let you park your car, and then kick your window in. That way your car wouldn't stink from you putting your cigarettes where they belong! [​IMG]

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

10. Achebe

No seriously slcrocket... if you litter--- cigarette butts or soda cans you are the lowest form of life.

It's a deliberate act made by people that see no value on the planet or in society. By Kant's 'respect for persons' I feel inclined to respect their view (arguments by action) and correspondingly offer them no respect.

------------------

11. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Well, Achebe, while I can "respect your view" as well, I find it hard to swallow that they are literally THE LOWEST FORMS OF LIFE. I think there are far worse things a person can do on this planet than litter. Let me stress that am not condoning littering. But, from my perspective anyway, I think this discussion has gotten a little out of hand.

I sure hope you weren't being sarcastic, because, damn, did I overreact.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

12. Special Patrol Group

Lowest form of life? Drunks. Especially the ones that decide it would be a really neat idea to take a drive after downing a six-pack. Give me cigarette smokers over these assholes any day. Drunk drivers should have their limbs removed, since nothing else seems to keep 'em off the road.

13. stringthing

stringthing Member

Good post SPG...

Just gets me wondering about those who posted such idoicies as "valid punishment=prison rape". I wonder about the depth of your dedication to protecting us from carcinogens. Do you utilize public transportation/carpools to help reduce the amount of emissions from your automobile? Are you active in recycling? Do you volunteer to help clean up some of the litter that clutters our city?

Or are your contributions confined to the posts you make on this BBS? Brilliant pieces of wisdom like--"I'd follow you, let you park your car, and then kick your window in". Funny thing is, you would go to jail, the smoker would sue you, get his window fixed and have a bunch of YOUR cash left over to buy more smokes with!

------------------

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But I bet that smoker would think twice before throwing his butt out the window again [​IMG]

------------------

15. stringthing

stringthing Member

Oh yeah, you really showed him.... [​IMG]

I know, maybe next time someone takes up two parking spaces at the mall, you can slash all four of their tires and key the paint job on both sides. I mean, we just can't sit around and let these things go on unchallenged can we? [​IMG]
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by stringthing (edited September 03, 2000).]

16. Achebe

What the hell does littering have to do w/ carcinogens? Huh? Are you six years old?

Uh... yes. In fact I and 2 other girls recycled all paper/aluminum cans on my college campus until we convinced the college administration that it was a worthwhile thing. I'm not a pedophile either, but what does this have to do w/ littering? Damn you mental midget.

I don't live in Texas actually. I don't litter either. There are many things I don't feel inclined to have to do... one is to clean up after fatty fat fat. I also don't stand around in banks waiting to stop bank robbers. I also don't make myself available to taking care of your grandma. There are many things that I expect of other citizens. In our social contract... I do not commit crimes and I expect you to do the same thing. It's not too much to expect people to be civil is it?

Uhhh... is this a bi-uid for Mango? I wasn't being serious. I would do what people no longer do because of apathy such as yours, you loser... I'd call the cops. Last week I was at the grocery store when a couple of teenagers parked in a handicapped parking space. I returned to the store and called the cops (wasting my wife and my time). Fortunately the officer got there in time to write a ticket for $150 dollars.

I guess I could have posed incredibly insightful arguments such as yours to the police officer and said "why write him a ticket? The sun's burning up!", but he probably would have looked at me funny.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited September 03, 2000).]

17. stringthing

stringthing Member

Just goes to show what an idiot you are..

Now pay attention , and I will try and make the connection for you...don't worry, I won't use any big words. I wouldn't want to confuse you. [​IMG]

If you complain about people throwing stuff on the ground and then demonstrate the depth of your conviction by offering to kick the offenders window in, one would naturally assume that this must be a subject that you have a passionate belief in. People who really care about litter in our community often VOLUTNTEER to help clean up our roadsides, medians etc. Much of what they pick up gets RECYCLED. See the connection now? Though to be honest most people take your approach, its much easier. Gripe about it but don't actually DO anything about it.
    Here is a concept for you...It IS a crime to assualt someone and kick their windows out. This from the same moron who posts "valid punishment=prison rape". Though I realize now from your rambling follow-up you were not serious.

Just talking out of your a**

------------------

[This message has been edited by stringthing (edited September 04, 2000).]

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

string & achebe: You guys are really going WAY overboard on this one.

Fixing the problem doesn't mean vigilante justice and it doesn't mean becoming president of the Sierra Club either. What we do every day (well, most of us) lies between perfect and horrific.

Provoking one another doesn't really solve the problem, though both of you appear pretty good at it.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

19. Achebe

Jeff,

I exaggerated my actions to appeal to the fact that fatty fat fat doesn't listen to logic, and thus merits the sort of corporeal punishment our justice system inflicts (though my example was milder).

stringthing,

I apologize for 'grabbing your goat' my labeling you a mental midget. Appealing to someone's emotions is an easy way to get someone out of their element and thus force them to rant illogically. I apologize.

Let me sum up our little argument:
    I demanded that someone observe the law.

You suggested that other actions follow or else (your posts hint at it, I don't remember if you said the word) I am to be labeled a hypocrite.

Though this is an invalid argument (as evidenced by my examples earlier), I am intrigued by Jeff's twist: essentially Greenpeace vs. the Sierra Club or Malcolm vs. MLK. Extremism vs. moderation. We should make a new post in which we discuss the differences and efficacies of the two styles.

------------------

20. fatty fat fat

fatty fat fat Member

OK, first of all, You do pay about 70% in taxes when you consider that the government taxes us, and the industries, which add that tax to their goods prices, and then we pay sales taxes on these goods, etc., etc. I'm an economics major,, trust me on this one. Secondly, it appears that this isn't so much a debate, as it does a ****-slinging contest. Should anyone care to ask me a legitimate question or concern, I will be more than happy to answer. I'm trying to give you at least one smokers opinion as to why this occurs. However, I'm not going to respond to anyone who simply wants to call names. (Ahem, Achebe, ahem)

Hey guys, remember one thing, I am a huge Rockets fan. I'm in the volunteer program for SOR, I called in to Dan Patrick's show to debate him three separate times this year. I'm on your side guys. Try to remember that when you're foaming at the mouth over this.

------------------
    How about the Houston Comets and their quest to become "Quadrepeatchicks!"