1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Those of You Who Smoke...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You know, I don't really care who smokes. I probably have some crud in my lungs from the 15 years of breathing second hand smoke as a musician playing in bars but that is another issue.

The thing that bugs me is people who smoke in their cars or outside their office buildings and then toss the butts onto the street. Not only is it just plain nasty, it is illegal. I'm not a fan of anyone who litters, but this seems to me to be the most common of offenses.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Instead of a fine, people who litter must clean a 2 mile stretch of highway for every offense. Each additional offense should increase the length of highway by 1 additional mile. [​IMG]

I do not care if people smoke or not but throwing their butts out the window or dumping their ash tray out on the ground is criminal.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

For a long time I've said the worst litter bugs are smokers. It just seems that the vast majority of them don't think twice about not only flicking a single butt into the street, but dumping their ashtrays at anyplace their car comes to a complete stop.

I don't have a big problem with people smoking either. All this banning that's been going on, is carrying it too far in my opinion, but the littering has to stop.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Every time I see someone in a car finishing a cigarette, they throw their butts out the window. That kind of crap pisses me off. Use your ashtray to extinguish your butts. I don't care if your too lazy to put out your butt and close the ashtray. I could never figure out why it is this way. Even when I smoked for a brief moment in time, I never threw butts out the window. That's just sick. Keep your stank in your car.

Surf

------------------

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How about those dumb asses who smoke right in front of their young children. These people should be thrown in a gas chamber for a minute or two. Let them see how the kids are probably feeling. Ive seen some kids crying and coughing while their stupid parents are puffing away.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

"You know, I don't really care who smokes. I probably have some crud in my lungs from the 15 years of breathing second hand smoke as a musician playing in bars but that is another issue."

Isn't that precisely the reason that these bans should be brought in?? If we don't want to smoke then surely that should be our right? We shouldn't have to put up with people puffing away and us getting diseases from second hand smoke!!

Just proves to me that a lot of smokers are pretty selfish people - they care only about THEIR rights and THEIR needs and couldn't give a damn if everyone else has to pay the consequences.
    How come it has to be the non-smoker who always has to be put out? It's about time things were changed so that smokers are forced to keep their habit to themselves.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DrNuegebauer (edited September 01, 2000).]

7. fatty fat fat

fatty fat fat Member

OK, seems I get to be the opposing voice. Look, I smoke, and have for the past ten years. And yes, I do toss my butts out of the window. I never use an ashtray because it makes my car smell bad. End of story. I don't feel I'm personally any more selfish than the next guy, but everyone has their own opinion, as well as their own vice. What I am incredibly tired of is the incessant whining, that smokers are the biggest problem with this planet! I mean where can we even go to grab a smoke these days? And in the very few places we still can, you people still whine and moan about it. Give me a break! Is it a stupid habit? Yes it is. Is it rerally bothersome to you? No it isn't. I am one of those people that, even in a bar, if someone asks me to move, I'll do it. But it is never good enough for you people. For everything that we give up, youpeople always try to push some more, and I am tired of it. So stop your bi!ching, and complain about something that really matters!

------------------
    How about the Houston Comets and their quest to become "Quadrepeatchicks!"

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

fatty: My complaint is that it isn't bad enough that you pollute the air that many of us have to breathe, but you also pollute the land by tossing your butts out of our car window just so your car won't smell bad.

I give you credit for being honest, but what you do with those butts is disgusting and polluting and maybe one of the most selfish and insensitive things a person can do.

I recognize where smokers are and what they have rights to do which is why I attempt to avoid areas where people smoke. But, I cannot for the life of me understand why smokers think we owe them something. I have friends who smoke and they are very polite and respectful not only of my space but of the environment.

If you can't be courteous of others, you have no reason to expect anyone to be courteous of you either.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

This exactly proves the point. You do not want to dirty up your own car but do not have a problem littering on nature. Butts are not bio-degradable and will be here a long time polluting the environment. Why not dispose of the butts properly..in an ash tray. That is what they are made for.

I do not care where you smoke or how much you smoke but please do not litter. You do not have a right to litter.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't think asking someone to not throw their butts out of the window qualifies as incessant whining. Smokers smell bad anyway. You choose to smoke...keep the freaking butts in you car and dispose of them properly. I don't like walking down the street seeing your butts all along the roadway because you don't want your car to smell bad. that's a copout. it's people like you who give smokers a bad name. I smoked for a while and I did the little things necessary to not spoil the smoker's image completely. 2nd hand smoke really is bothersome so that is why you can't smoke everywhere you used to. SO GIVE US A DAMN BREAK! WERE TIRED OF SMOKERS WITH THE I WILL DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT ATTITUDE SO THERE! Geez...what do you want from us? OH...were proud that you throw your butts out the window(heavy on the sarcasm)! Don't compare our one little gripe about disposing of your butts properly with incessant whining because that is just BS. If you disposed of your butts properly, there would be no problem as long as your not blowing smoke in my freaking face.

DAMN

------------------

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fatty,

Ditto on what everyone else said, but I would like to add a little.

Is it really bothersome to other people? Well, yes.

I, for example, am allergic to 2nd hand smoke. I know others that are as well.

Anyone who has breathing problems (like me) will also think that it is more than a minor inconvenience.

I really do not feel sorry for smokers who whine about how they have no where to go and they cannot smoke in peace.

I say, good. Smokers are the public health risk, not non smokers. The les you smoke, the lower the risk of harming yourslef and others.

Sorry if I sound rude or antagonistic, it just bothers me when people claim that smoking really does not bother me (like I cough to prove a point - not because I really need to).

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

12. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Many cars made today do not come with ashtrays. That is not an excuse, just a minor fact.

I do, however get sick of hearing people talk about how we pollute the air yet you have no problem with driving your car everywhere. Why do the media sugarcoat the real pollution in the air by referring to it as an "ozone alert" or whatever they call it? Where don't they call it smog? Why don't I ever see people complaing about vehicles that spew burning oil smoke everywhere?

Look, I'm not making excuses or taking Fatty's approach or anything. I just think that this whole second-hand smoke thing is just a little too overblown. If you want to complain about the air, then complain about EVERYTHING that is polluting the air. What second hand cigarette smoke adds is dwarfed by what vehicles and factories add.

Smoking is indeed bad for me but it's my choice to do so. Just like all the soda that I drink and the fast food that I eat. In fact I'm probably giving myself cancer in 30 different ways. Or maybe I'm building up my defenses to withstand these chemicals. You know, evolution!

Well anyway, I agree about not polluting, so there.

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SpaceCity,

I agree with what you say, and I do complain about all pollution.

One thing to note, however, smoking is most bothersome to other people when it is done indoors (I have never heard anyone complain about someone smoking accross the street!).

If someon were to pull their car into a restaurant and leave the engine running, they would probably get arrested and the fumes could hurt people.

As far as throwing butts on the ground. That is a litter issue, is illegal, and is generally disregarded by smokers.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

14. fatty fat fat

fatty fat fat Member

Alrighty! Good to see people get upset about this. Now, while I know that throwing butts out of the window IS littering, I just can't bring myself to put them in my ashtray. I did that in my first car, and it always smelled horrible! I know that is not an excuse, but it annoys me. The problem is that like space said, people decide for whatever reason that 2nd hand smoke is responsible for 99.9% of pollution out there, and that is a copout. I don't know why people have taken such offense to smokers, but it is really unfair and unjustified. These days I can smoke in my car in the garage when I'm at work, and that's it! I can't even go outside my building, and that is ludicrous. We can smoke in small areas in restaurants and bars and that is it, as well. And you still push us on that. I don't blow smoke in anyone's face. In fact, I was out last night at a bar that allowed smoking and I still went outside to smoke and used the ashtray out there. If I do smoke around other people, I always blow the smoke towards the ceiling, because smoke rises, and I'm not trying to offend anybody. But then the naysayers will still give me dirty looks like I'm doing something wrong, and it is getting old. I do not smoke where it is not designated, but when it is, I should be able to, right? And while I'm certainly not proud that I toss my butts out the window, (I'm really not!) The other choice is to have a car that smells bad. Sorry, but being a single guy, I can't afford to do that. And I know this is a lousy excuse, because I don't litter in any other way, but 70% of my paycheck is going to taxes, and I feel that they can clean it up. The reason you see so many butts on the street, along with other trash is because Houston has a rotten clean-up team. You don't see this kind of dirtiness in Dallas, and I guarantee there are plenty of smokers there as well. Alright, let the bashing continue! [​IMG]

------------------
    How about the Houston Comets and their quest to become "Quadrepeatchicks!"

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Man,
    You really dont understand. Throwing your cigarettes out your window is illegal you know. It is the same as littering. It is ulawful and immoral. But beyond that, it hurts the earth that millions and millions of people use. You have to be one of the most selfish people on the face of hte planet. You dont like to use your ashtray because your car smells. No crap! Of course, if you were to take that attitude, youd stop smoking because you smell and your breathe undoubtedly smells really bad, no matter hwo many mints you take. Nobody is talking about an air pollution problem here, we are talking about a ground pollution problem. But if you want to turn it into air pollution, then fine. Cars and factories and other methods of intense air pollution are being fought as well. There are restrictions and legal levels, etc,etc. The reason you cant smoke anywhere but your car is becasue it hurts people when you do it elsewhere. It would be like me going around spraying toxic chemicals in the air, even if no one was there, but then being told I can only spray chemicals in the air in my car, and then having the audacity to complain about it. Anyway, back to the ground thing. It seems quite obvious to me you wont ever use your ashtray. You have that smokers mentality that youll quit sometime soon, although you never do, and that that one cigarette, which turns into half a pack a day, a pack a day,etc,etc wont hurt you, and thus it wont hurt anyone if I smoke outside near them or throw my butt on the ground. Why dont you try this then. Since it is quite obviouls you will never ever start ashing in your car, the least you can do is put your butt out. Bring a paer cup with a little bit of water in it, put it in the cupholder and throw your cigarettes in there when your done. Then at the end of the day, or at the end of a trip (bring more than one cup), you can just take the cup and throw it in a trash can, that way your car wont smell anymore than it smells anyway seeing as you were smoking in it.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

17. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

The last time I looked around the ground and on the sides of the streets, cig butts were not the predominate form of litter.

It would be nice if everyone directed their passion towards ALL forms of "ground littering" such as bums who leave their trash at the intersections, or non-smokers who throw their gum on the sidewalk (not to mention the wrapper that it came in), coke bottles, cans, popsicle sticks, and newspapers.

How about all of the chemicles that our cars leak all over the pavement? How about the pavement itself? I'm sure all that tar and oil is just great for the land that's beneath it.

Look, I respect others when I smoke. Don't blame me if your favorite restaurant or bar allows smoking. I didn't make that rule, but I follow it.

The world is full of pollution problems and smokers are nowhere near being the main offenders.

While Fatty may have presented himself wrong, what he is saying is somewhat true. Non-smokers tend to treat smokers like we are less-than your average human. There are far worse offenders on this earth than us smokers. While there may be chemicles in cigs, the smoke is FAR from being toxic. Let's get real, ok Jay.

Jeff, I understand about your allergies and I feel for you considering that you are a musician. Does car exhaust affect you too? What about a log burning fireplace? Or a campfire? Is there a particular chemical in cigs that you are allergic to or is it smoke in general?

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

[This message has been edited by SpaceCity (edited September 01, 2000).]

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Smokers are such an easy target. It's a situation where a politician can make it look like he's doing something by going after smokers, while in actuality, he's not really doing anything ("I took down all the billboards that were advertising smoking next to schools...I'm really making a difference"). It's the same thing here. Are you really that upset at this guy for throwing his butts out of his car? I don't see it as that big of an issue. Cigarette butts on the ground have to be the least of our worries. Why not drag some of these bums out of their comfortable prisons and have them clean the butts up if it's such a big problem. As far as air pollution, 95% of the time you have total control over whether or not you want to breathe second-hand smoke. Just don't go where smokers are (I'm not counting parents who smoke in their house in front of their kids, that's sickening)! Everybody just go ahead and pile on the smoker I guess, it's the cool thing to do nowadays.

------------------
    "The only problem is I always think of the guitar player from Dokken when I hear his name." -Traj, on the possibility of George Lynch joining the Rockets.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Freak, so you wouldn't care if I, as a non-smoker, decided to throw my empty coke can out of my window? Littering is littering, whether it's a coke can or a cigarrette butt. I don't care if people smoke, I used to. I do care if I smell smoke while I'm trying to enjoy a good meal. I understand there's going to be smoke in bars and stuff, I can deal with that, but if you really have to smoke at restaurant, it's not that hard to get up off your ass and walk outside.

fatty, you're also not good at math. There's no way 70% of your paycheck is going to taxes.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited September 01, 2000).]

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

R95 -- come on now, you can't compare a coke can to a barely visible centimeter-long cigarette butt. By the way, come up with a good music thread.....something like "favorite songs about _____", or "favorite bands that start with the letter _", you know, something kind of different. I would but I'm having trouble thinking of anything good.

------------------
    "The only problem is I always think of the guitar player from Dokken when I hear his name." -Traj, on the possibility of George Lynch joining the Rockets.