1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Those of You Who Cares: Here is the NEw Yang Yi Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pirc1, Mar 30, 2003.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Last two games playing only 31 minutes, last 30 shots only made 7, there is no question the transition from coach Rudy T. to coach Larry S. caused Yao Ming to enter a new difficult phase. What Yao needs to do is not only to face the situation calmly but to actively seek ways to resolve the problems.

Yang: You said you were going to talk to coach Smith couple days ago, how did it go.

Yao: I do not want discuss this question publicly, you know this is a private conversation. I just want to understand him better and let him understand me better, after all, we are both trying to do what is the best for the rockets. You know, I never put my personal gains above the good of the team, so I decided to be more proactive. Larry is a good man, he is just a little hot tempered, I don't have any conflict with him.

Yang: On personal matters you really do not have any conflict with him, but the important difference should be about how he is directing the team, maybe you have not adjusted to his requirements?

Yao: Sometimes you have to force yourself to adjust. I remember when I was on the Chinese national team, Coach Wang said even if the coach is all wrong, but if all five players follow his order exactly, they might still win; however, if everyone thinks the coach is wrong, and they each have their own idea, the team will surely be defeated. Coach Larry likes his center to be very physical under the basket, even if this is not my strong point, I am trying to do my best.

Yang: In Smith's game plan, you still have many chances, but they all looked very difficult.

Yao: That is because I have less chances while I am moving, the last couple games, the team often clears out one side and let me ISO on the other team's center, which is not my strong suit. The best strategy for me is to catch the ball just as I am entering the 3 second area, that way I can just turn and put the ball in the basket easily. If you watched carefully, I had many such chances in today's game(vs Nuggest), but I just wasn't hitting well today. Everything needs communication, and coach Smith is trying to figure out how to best utilize me.

Yang: But you only played 15 minutes today.

Yao: Today it is mostly because of foul trouble, I got my fourth foul shorly after the start of third period. After that Cato played very well and we were in control the rest of the way, so I did not enter the game again. Coach Smith said he wants to rest me, I can understand that completely. I feel today's team environment is better than last two games, Coach smith is screaming today, he was smiling.

Yang: Do you miss Rudy? Especially at a time like this?

Yao: There isn't a person that do not miss him. Did you see SF's shoes had RT written all over it? and also on his wrist guards. I did not wite anything, because we Chinese put everything in our heart and do not show every thing on the ourside.

Yang: There are only nine games left in regulation, no matter the rockets make the playoff or not, the team faces major changes, maybe the coaching staff to key players will all change. You are facing this hard step now, but once you pass this step there might be bigger challenges ahead?

Yao: I do not know what is going to happen this summer, but if it happens as you predicted, there will be a lot of pressure. At a time like this, I do not want to think too much, it will be too tiresome to do that.

;) :D

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Thanks for the translation!!

Everyone seems to know that there will be big changes in the offseason.

My guess is that Rudy (if his health is okay) isn't going anywhere due to his good relationship with his players which overrides his questionable decision making.

My bet is that either Cat, Eddie, or Glen get traded because these are the only tradeable players we have in terms of favorable contracts. I believe Glen is in the last year of his contract next year.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Do you mind posting the link to the article so I can read it my self? Like I've said before, Yang Yi's articles has a real fictious feel to it, very much like the Blinebury article about Francis and the big O. While it may has some factual backing, most of it his own BS. It makes for a good read cuz its written in novel style, but i wouldn't take it compeletly accurate word for word.

4. wizkid83

Oh, yeah, I don't think Yang Yi has more inside info than Yao does. Remember the Rockets keeps a lot of info from the media as far as personel changes, even with the local media. I highly doubt they'll give Yang Yi more access. My guess is that there probably won't be any major changes since the Rockets are over the cap and Rudy is going no where and everyone one else except Mobley is impossible to move. While Mobley is moveable, its hard for us to get fair value back for him. The only possibility is we move both Mobley and Rice (living, walking, breathing cap room) but I highly doubt that's gonna happen sice we're prolly gonna use some money to resign posey and griffin.

5. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

6. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Actually, this is the way I saw it too. Larry is a IMO-only coach. His style is difficult for Yao to follow. Yao has never played well. That is like pulling the team back to thirty games ago, when Rudy had tried so hard to inject the passing game into our system. No wonder, Franchise is mad.

:( :( :(

7. wizkid83

Hmm, this article was also posted in another thread, maybe the 2 should be merged by moderators. I've also read Yang Yi's link to the follow up article. I came to one conclusion: this Yang Yi fellow does not like Larry Smith. He basically rips Smith and guarantees Smith won't be head coaching next year even if Rudy doesn't come back. It got past criticism and becomes completely personal insults, calling Smith "naturally born ill tempered (basically the same as saying he needs anger management)". Not even Blinebury would go that far, that's what you called burning bridges. While I don't totally disagree with everything he says, I don't think some of what he said was proffesional.

On a side note, W&S, how come u don't post anything in depth any more? Most of your recent post have been either a small response or a line of comment.

8. Panda

Panda Member

Excellent translation. Pir1.

9. Rocketsss

Rocketsss Member