1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Milers in Track -- My nephew is being overused

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jun 6, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I just heard from by brother that my nephew as a sophomore in HS ran a 4:18 He also just won the state Virginia indoor 2 mile in February. And he is a big cross country dude.

He is now going to real outdoor state and his coaches are entering him into 2 mile, mile and 4x800. History says he can't win any of them if he runs them all.

Me and my brother (his dad) thank he should focus on one race. (I've been saying mile) But my brother doesn't want to interfere with the coaches. All is set now, but what about next year.

As a 15yr old clocked at 4:18 in a mile, with a 2 mile indoor championship under his belt

Question for runners:
    What do you do at that age when everyone wants you to run everything.

2. heypartner

#2 heypartner, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I took up competitive running after high school, so I never formally raced in school. But I think the mile and two mile shouldn't hurt his overall performance in either. The 4x800 is more for the sprinters though, so I would probably stay away from that. But doing both the mile and two mile can easily be trained for and done.

You see instances of this all the time in the Olympics where runners compete in more than race distance. Morceli from Algeria and El Guerrouj from Morroco held records and won medals in the 1500, mile, 2000, and 5000 at the same time during their peaks.

Your nephew will also be more attractive to college recruiting if he runs more than one race distance.

4. heypartner

^ for the record

http://i2.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/n.../15/2014_di_outdoor_schedule_eugene_final.pdf

The Mens NCAA Championship does not have a 3200 race, only the Olympics does. So, how are you going to get a scholarship for a race (the 2 mile) that isn't run in college. And don't tell me he can run the 5000m, because I will have to punch you in the face, if you did. :)

The boy should run the mile. And do more speed training than they are having him do now. The Mile is a speed race. It is not cross country training. right?

Where's rimbaud...I know you ran cross country like me.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

That seems like a bit much if its a 1 day state meet. Sounds like they want to score more team points overall at the sacrifice of individual performance.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not too knowledgeable on track, but am very familiar with "star" athletes at the high school level. At times parents ABSOLUTELY have to step in and advocate for thier kid's best interest. Both at the high school level and even the college level. That student athlete, especially at that age, will do whatever the coach tells him to. So it's up to the parent to ensure that the coaches' intentions align with whats best for the kid as well as the team.

Is your nephew working with any outside coaches or AAU clubs?

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The 800 and 1500/1600/mile are considered middle distance races because they're too long to be sprints and too short to be long distance. You need the right blend of speed and stamina to be successful.

8. Classic

Classic Member

^^

Is the coach's name Bud Kilmer by chance?

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Assuming there will be time between events (30 mins), why wouldn't he be able to participate in three events? You mentioned you were in the military, how is it any different from doing some push ups, sit ups and running 6 miles in the morning? Sprinting and marathon are different and I'm not saying he will win all three, but it's not going to break him either.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sounds like McHale iso play

12. heypartner

My question was rhetorical. I was miler. Yeah, in HS it's middle distance. But if you want to get to sub-4 the training is speed/wind training. It's better to train at shorter distances than what you run vs distances longer than you run. Run 440s over and over again.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a kid...he's damn near invincible. Let him run all the events possible and enjoy as much as he can while he can...15 just seems a little young to focus in on one specific area.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't see the harm in doing all 3, but focusing on the mile. I would have ran all 3 if asked.

Don't sweat a scholarship, he'll get one even if his best race is the 2 mile. A college coach is going to assume he can excel at other distances as well.

15. conquistador#11

:in motherland voice:
    if he cramps, he cramps.

16. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Lol seems that way, i had to Google who the hell that was.

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Wait, you expect the kid to run the 1mile, 2mile and 4x800 in a state meet with 30 minute breaks in between. That's the most ridiculous thing I have heard in awhile.

18. heypartner

Yeah, I'm sure that's how he thinks. Yeah good for him if that's what he wants

Question to you guys: So I'm from the spectrum of ppl who'd rather win state in an event to call myself The Best, rather than place in three. How would you describe yourself?

19. Asian Sensation

Run everyyyyy thangg!

20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Maybe they didn't play sports.