1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For fun – The books of Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Oct 22, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

After reading his twitter assault with Bill Simmons, I decided to check out what his facebook said. Upon checking for Darylisms, I noticed his list of books. With that, I give you the Daryl list of books and what they could mean about his character. So sit back and enjoy the list about the man we all know and love: Dork Elvis.

(This list is speculation of course, so feel free to disagree or add your own insights about these.)

1984 – This could mean that Morey is questionable of authority, based off the author’s views that totalitarianism is on its way and big brother, aka authority, becomes over bearing when unchecked.

The Killer Angels – Written in 1974, this book fictionalizes battles of the civil war and focuses on the decisions and emotions of the troop leaders. This shows that Morey appreciates the thought processes of leaders and has an interest in history.

The Count Of Monte Cristo – This book is about a prisoner using his will power to better himself and escape. This shows Morey probably admires people who determine their own fates, rather than sit around and let the world pass them by.

Animal Farm – Another book that you read in high school and with good reason. Animal Farm is a statement about Capitalism and Communism, and how both are inherently bad. One could argue my interpretation, but what this says is that Morey enjoys books that have something more to say, rather than a story to tell.

Brave New World – This is another totalitarian society book that one would read in high school. In the book it parallels growing trends with society to show what the future, in the author’s opinion, could become. This shows that Morey thinks about the future based off patterns and trends.

Catch-22 – Another high school book for some. This book is a satire about circular logic and criticizes bureaucracy. This book stands out because it shows Morey is a man who enjoys humor and logic. It also shows he thinks critically of powers that be sometimes. Also, most likely unrelated, 22 is the number of games he likes to win in a row.

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? – Dr. Suess wrote this as a commentary about management and work is in society and how it is a continues cycle. This shows an appreciation and true understanding of management.

If I Ran the Circus – Another Dr. Suess book centers on the plot of a person imagining if they managed a circus. The more excessive the dream becomes, the more he must rely on enslaving someone else to do it. It shows more insight into his views on management and that he more than likely doesn’t get carried away at the expense of those he manages.

The Goal – A book about the management theory of constraints… this is clearly Daryl world and something I don’t understand. But, it certainly would provide insight into his management methods.

Hidden Order – A book that explains the economics of everyday life… such as how Morey would approach a card game or deal with his tip at a lunch.

Out of the Crisis – MIT Press book, where he went to school, by Edward Demmings about 14 points of management. Something Morey may swear by.

The Republic – This is Plato and to explain what he gets out of this is only my best guess. It does say that he appreciates philosophy and probably has a highly developed world view.

Flow – a psychology book about being “in the zone” in things from sports to everyday life. This could be something Morey appreciates and statistically seeks out based on his pursuit of intangibles and love for this book.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – A classic motivational book about making yourself work hard and be successful. Could have insights into his work ethic.

On a Pale Horse – A grim thing to talk about but it is about facing one’s mortality. How this affects Morey could mean that he is realistic in his expectations in life and aims to live it fully.

Castle Roogna – Total dork book, shows Morey likes fantasy, castles and zombies. This just means Morey has good taste.

2. alethios

alethios Member

I like Small is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher because it explains how economics can be ruined by bloated, centralized organizations or you could argue that since Rockets are small this year, that's beautiful.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Surprised he did not list Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead which I prefer over the highly acclaimed former.

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

with that list, i think morey may post in the d&d

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Makes sense why he called himself a Libertarian, until he moved to Houston and saw the effects of zoning. We should all mail Morey our favorite books for Christmas in appreciation. Maybe we can put some compassion in his cold steel Orwellian/Randian heart lol.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol I was thinking the same thing! Didn’t he make comments about how bad (no)zoning issues were in Houston?