1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For all you Texan fans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dreamshake, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Im curious. In all honesty, do you love the Carr pick. To me, neither Carr or Harrington seem like they have the potential to be the Franchise type QB's. I dont doubt his ability, but is he really the number one pick in a decently talented draft?

I just see players like Quentin Jammer, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Julius Peppers as players who can become almost instant contributors, or pro bowlers.

If the Texans were starting from scratch with this draft, is Carr the player you think they should of picked?

Im just curious. Not trying to stab at the pick. Most of the pro's consider this the right pick.

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

I used to not like the pick, but now I do.

I wanted to hold out for Byron Leftwich or Eli Manning, but the team is going to be quite good so I wouldn't count on getting those high picks.

Carr will be good.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Eli Manning is a stud. I see more in him than I do Peyton.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen Eli compared to Peyton a couple of times and the general theme seems to be that Eli is blessed with much more natural talent than Peyton but, as often is the case with players for whom things come easily, he tends to be a bit lazy about the game.

For the elder Manning, this is his greatest asset. You have to imagine that even the most prepaired college QB is going to have to put in quite a bit of work when they get to the NFL, and I just wonder whether Eli's greater talent will sufficently offset Peyton's unique cerebrial approach.

After all, in the general scheme of things there are probably quite a few QB's that have entered the NFL with more talent than either Payton or Eli and failed. The thing that makes Peyton special is his approach to the game and without that I wonder if Eli will be successfull.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I like about Carr:

1. He's got that big 'Jim Kelly' type physique. While not Cullpepper, he's still a big, tough QB.

2. When I see him throw the ball, I can't help but compare him to Dan Marino. I know of no other QB with that sort of hyper quick realease.

3. Despite all his success, there is quite a bit of room for improvement, as he irons out some of the technical kinks with his footwork, and such.

4. He is a grounded type of guy and a hard worker which ensures that he won't fail for lack of effort.

The one thing that concerns me:

1. It seems to me, based on the limited amount that I've seen, that he seems to not really throw a 'Warren Moon' type of tight spiral. I've seen more wobbly passees from his hands than I care to remeber.

6. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Carr will be the cover-boy for this team for years to come. He's the prototypical #1 pick in any draft, and I'm excited about his potential as a Texan. He wasn't as big of a name as a Peyton Manning, or a Tim Couch, coming out of school, but I believe he can be in the same class, if not better than the two. He has all the attributes (more or less) than either of the two, even though he hasn't gotten all of the notoriety as they had on the college level. True, Manning is probablly the smartest player in the game, but I see Carr as possesing as much or near the same amount of on the field and off competence as Peyton. However, unlike Manning and his decent throwing arm, Carr posesses the natural skills that everyone looks for in a qb. He's amazingly talented. He's smart. He's a team leader and a field general, like a Manning. He's 6'3", 225, and has a rock solid physique, with the pythons (guns) to match. He's the ideal person to represent a football team, by his ability to "say the right things to the media, at the right time." He's well grounded and humble with his family for support. He desires and posesses the ability to be taught and to learn. And pointing out his physical attributes: many compare his arm strength to Couch, or Favre, however, he also has the velocity, accuracy, and quick release of an Aikman. Carr is rated more intelectual than Favre and Couch, when they were rookies, as he is truly a student of the game. He's not a great scrambler, like McNabb or Culpepper, but he can definitely use his keen pocket awareness and good quickness and speed to evade pass rush. I am completely sold that he will develop into the pro bowl-caliber qb the Texans need, in good time.

As far as holding out for another player to be the cornerstone of this franchise: Carr was obviously the right choice. Julius Peppers and Jammer, and several other players would have been great choices but not for the #1 overall pick of a franchise. Carr was the best guy they could have selected in any draft for the past 15 years, with a few possible exceptions in Aikman, Young, Elway, Favre, Marino, Kelly, Manning, McNabb, whatever. However, I think Carr can and will be the same caliber of qb as any of these guys have been or are for their respective franchises, pending, the Texans allow him to grow, give him a system that compromises with his abilities, and build a good supportinng cast of offensive weaponry around him.

As far as the next couple of drafts go, the Texans have several possibilities, being that they will probablly draft very high in each. They should really focus on selecting the best defensive, and especially offensive players to complement Carr's abilities, as well as the system they run. People have mentioned that we should have held out for a Leftwich , Simms, or Eli Manning in a future draft, but that would be a mistake. Yes, they are talented qb's, nonetheless. The only reason people like them is b/c they have gotten much more notoriety from their college careers. Now, I'm not going to say that Carr is or will be a better pro qb than these three, he is definitely a better prospect, in my eyes than many qb's that will be drafted in the next few years. Like I mentioned before, he's more physically impressive than the qb's mentioned, with the exception, that Leftwich can scramble like a champ. This isn't much of a factor, b/c a pocket passer fits better in Palmer's system. Just to recap on a few of his abilities, that make Carr a better prospect as opposed to future draftees are the facts that: he's a born, natural leader and field captain, has supreme knowledge of the game, is mature and stable in his life, wants to learn, wants to be the BEST, etc.

Sorry to have gone on and on, and to anyone who is still reading, let me tell you that I'm just very excited about the Texans' future. Along the same lines to help Carr develop, we must draft or somehow acquire a stud, all-around running back, ala Edgerrin James, and we have to give Carr some targets (Gaffney is nice, but we need more, including a pass-catching tight end). The o-line is pretty solid for a while.

I will end this ridiculously long post by saying that all of this useless information is just my optimistic opinion, and for it to be taken as a good view of the team, and where we are headed, or taken very, very lightly, with just a grain of salt. Thank you for reading!!!!

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think they are both equally cerebral, and I may even give the physical edge to Peyton. Peyton has a stronger arm, but he doesn't have the escapability of his younger bro. I think the fact that Eli can make nothing out of something is why I think he will be better. Manning, if you ever noticed, only makes big plays when the running game sets up the play action. 9 out of 10 Manning TD passes come off of play action, and result in a wide open bomb to Harrison. Manning's INT rate is high because he is not good at passing in obvious situations, like 3rd and long. I would go as far as saying that Manning is an average QB in obvious situations.

With Eli, I see a better big-game performer. I think he is mentally stronger when he faces the top competition. I will always think of Peyton as a choker until he reaches the Super Bowl.

Peyton would put up good passing yards in the big games, but he'd end up throwing 3 INTs also. This means that he racks up a lot of "garbage" stats, that all get piled up, and make him look better than most QBs.

Also, the fact that Peyton doesn't force as many balls as someone like Favre does, makes me wonder how/why he throws so many INTs. Then I go back to the previous point I mentioned, and say that Manning is very reliant on the running game to soften up the defensive secondary.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

nearly every analyst and scout says that both harrington and carr will be very good QB's. Carr has better physical skills. seems like a no-brainer, if that's the case. There's a reason why all those guys get paid to make judgment calls on players and we talk about them on Houston Rockets websites!!

9. Smoke

Smoke Member

Carr was the least risk choice. The safest bet. They almost had to take him. The teams first pick ever, has to show what the team is all about. Not just for now, but for the future. The whole foundation of the team is built around this first pick. Quality and Character over Upside. Carr is a model citizen. He will be an asset to the community. The Texans couldn't have asked for a better fit to be available for it's first pick. It's almost Cosmic. His son's name is Austin. Could the next one be Tyler?

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you don't build around CB's and you certainly don't build around S's; peppers has more question marks than carr

yes. you never, ever, never pass on a chance to draft a franchise QB. carr is a franchise QB.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Yep. DC was the obvious choice.