1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Food reviews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Am I? You can go anywhere in Ohio and they'll tell you us Texans don't put enough chocolate, cinnamon and noodles in our stuff.

2. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Never been to Ohio. Will have to take your word for it. I guess I am right after all. Or am I? Maybe. Maybe not. This chili talk has me all confused. What were we talking about?

3. Buck Turgidson

Lemme go grab a beer and I'm sure I'll remember.

Skyline Chili, btw. Look it up.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

At least bean soup is edible. I had to throw that stuff in the trash after a few bites.

5. Buck Turgidson

You got farther than I did then, I just looked at it and shook my head, had 1 forkfull, and walked away.

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Thank you!

I'll quote the Deadspin article I posted in my previous post to further echo our point:

"And really, customizing one's own chili recipe is just fine; so is being proud of it. As a dish that originated with regular people using what they had, chili invites exactly this sort of improvisation. It's unlikely that any ancient Mexican tribesman ever said, "Oh shoot, we have only two poblanos, and the recipe calls for three; looks like we can't have chili tonight!" (and not just because of the overwhelming odds against him having been able to speak English). Chili invites us to tinker, to adjust, to personalize, and if the results taste good, to feel good about that. Where we go too far is the point at which our personal preferences tip over into proclamations of the 'correct' way to make it—where "I don't like tomatoes in my chili" curdles into "Real chili doesn't contain tomatoes, you sonofabitch!"

Live and let chili, people. Life's too short...

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

FYI, McDonald's is bringing back their Szechuan sauce for one day only! October 7th! See if one near you is participating at this website. https://buttermilkcrispytenders.com/

9. Buck Turgidson

I thought you were reviewing "food"?

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Has to be a chain that is national. Any ideas?

11. Buck Turgidson

Waffle House?

Try Outback or Olive Garden maybe?

eta: Chili's is terrible, but their Southwestern Eggrolls are on point.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'll look into them. I primarily like to try new items, and as much as I love Waffle House, I don't think they've had a new item in 30 years.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

And if y'all would like me to review local food on here I can do that. I'm going to try London Sizzler for the first time tomorrow.

DudeWah likes this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do you know where one could find a really good club sandwich? asking for a friend. :cool:

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Just a heads up for anyone who's interested, I'll be on 650 tomorrow morning at 11 with Cleverley Stone to talk about the food scene in Houston. And I'll be bringing bean dip...

http://houston.cbslocal.com/

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm sorry, but this is funny. My title (which is at the bottom) is "former Houston foodie friend."

I guess I piss people off everywhere. And yet, I'm still here, and I'm still exactly who I've always been.

The OG troll? perhaps. I just showed how to be a dick online.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

To anyone who knows me on here and thought I wasn't sincere? I literally am on the radio tomorrow with a person that posted that I'm a "former Houston Foodie Friend."

Sorry, but I love that Cleverley is actually pretty cool, IMO.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

And anyone who says alcohol is a depressant? I think it is in your genes. I agreed to this at 6:00 this morning? Still wide awake.