1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Follow up on accident near 610 last week

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by grt004, May 10, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Misdemeanor manslaughter? Yea...I dunno why they say "felony murder"? I've never heard of "misdemeanor murder".

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-corner-woman-accused-in-traffic-7422773.php

Committing a felony is bad. Hope she rots in jail.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Aside from the utter tone deafness of this comment, I also have to say I think responders do a pretty good job of making sure there's a lane open to keep traffic flowing despite having to clean up an accident scene. I think it's pretty amazing, myself, that we routinely investigate and clean up accidents on the freeway while keeping the freeway constantly operational (even if its capacity is somewhat reduced).

Murder is the headliner, but I'm sure they'll pin a dozen charges on her in the official indictment. Endangering her children will be on there too. You're right though that they way they wrote the article sounds pretty weird. Murder also sounds a little funny because I would have expected something more like manslaughter. But given the gross negligence she showed in continuing to drive intoxicated even after a previous accident, maybe they feel they can prove enough for murder. Seems like she'll be in prison a long time regardless.

1 person likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for that. Funny application of the felony murder construct though. I think the standard situation they're thinking of is something like a felony robbery where the perp shoots the victim to prevent an ID. In this case, she was committing a felony but didn't kill the motorcyclist in order to get away with the original felony. But, whatever, she sounds like a person who is begging for the maximum application of the law.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Breh...what...

1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You need to watch that "This is water" YouTube

1 person likes this.
  7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Sure thing, bud.

1 person likes this.
  8. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Well you're a ****ty person.

1 person likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I probably should have not posted anything.

What if some one dies because they shut down the highway and someone couldn't get to the hospital in time? All those people feigning outrage probably don't care about that person who died. If people really cared they might actually want more public transport. Shutting down the the highway for 4 hours isn't bringing them back.

If due to the shutdown a million people lost an hour that is a million hours. If one person lives 80 years that is only 700k hours.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good point. Being stuck behind 1,000,000 cars worth of traffic can be a real pain. Especially considering that the next time that it happens will be the first.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

this is a good example of what's wrong with our society nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Nomination #2 from Air Langhi for 2016's Worst Comments

With 2 nominations from Air Langhi, this qualifies him for an automatic nomination for 2016's Worst Posters.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The 2nd comment I actually don't hate, very Costanza-like.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude! Who pissed in your cereal?

1 person likes this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, that's pretty despicable. I can't believe no one has called you out on it yet.

1 person likes this.
  16. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

Felony murder is a common law doctrine. Basically it makes it so.. when an offender kills (regardless of accidentally or without specific intent to kill) in the commission of a dangerous or enumerated crime (called a felony in some jurisdictions), he/she can be found guilty of murder (versus manslaughter or second degree murder).

The act of committing a dangerous felony is therefore the "intent" required to be found guilty of murder. The purpose of this is to attempt to deter dangerous felonies.

17. RCPM

RCPM Member

Wow, what a turd.

1 person likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That would just be plain murder.

Felony murder is a death occurring while committing a felony, which otherwise would not be treated as murder. So, in your example, killing a victim with motive to not be ID'd is flat out murder. But getting into your car to escape, and subsequently getting into a police chase that ends in an accident that kills someone would be felony murder...because refusal to stop after a felony robbery is another felony.

Or simpler, refusal to stop in a stolen vehicle (felony theft) and causing an accident resulting in a death is felony murder.

I believe felony arson resulting in the death of a fireman is also felony murder...and anyone else who dies in the fire (whether or not there was intent to kill someone).

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No no...it's for the best that you let everyone know how incredibly self absorbed and how much of a sociopath you are.

#39 DonkeyMagic, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

SMH - is this you Langhi?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TKOrr4XRbg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.