1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FLORIDA TODAY] McGrady rips Weisbrod for controversial moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/SPORTS/602270310/1002

February 27, 2006

McGrady rips Weisbrod for controversial moves

BY John Denton
    FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO - Tracy McGrady's gone from the Orlando Magic, but clearly he hasn't forgotten.

McGrady was back in Orlando Sunday, and in what has become almost habit, he verbally ripped into John Weisbrod, saying if it wasn't for the former Magic general manager, "I still would be wearing blue."

"Absolutely, without a doubt," McGrady said of his chances of still being with the Magic. It's just that simple. But obviously it took them too long to figure out that it wasn't a perfect fit.

"You let one individual screw the whole organization up. He screwed the whole thing up, and it took a while for everybody to really realize that. Everybody thought I wanted out. I'm at home, 30 minutes away. Are you serious, man?"

McGrady was an All-Star during each of his four seasons with the Magic from 2000 to 2004, but he asked to be traded when he clashed with Weisbrod. Weisbrod, who orchestrated the McGrady trade with the Houston Rockets for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato, resigned as Orlando's general manager following last season.

McGrady was back with the Rockets Sunday after missing Friday's game because of the death of his fiancée's mother. McGrady said his future mother in-law suffered from Parkinson's Disease the past six years, and he admitted that the illness had distracted his focus much of this season.

"For a stretch in the first half of the season, it was pretty tough because things were distracting me," McGrady said. "In a sense, (the death) is kind of a relief because she was suffering in pain, and now she doesn't have to go through that. She's at peace." Steve-O watch. Like most, Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy is curious to see how Steve Francis will work out in New York.

The Magic traded Francis to the Knicks on Wednesday, getting the expiring contract of Penny Hardaway and small forward Trevor Ariza. Prior to taking over the Rockets, Van Gundy -- who coached Francis for one season in Houston -- coached the Knicks.

"I would say this: I think he played hard (in Houston), and played well," Van Gundy said. "I enjoyed him. He's got a good personality. He's funny. He's bright. And the year he was here with us is the only year he made the playoffs. I have nothing but positives about Steve. I think time will tell, but I would suspect he and (Stephon) Marbury will give them a very dynamic backcourt."

The Knicks are 0-2 since trading for Francis, losing to New Jersey and Washington. Francis has scored 16 and nine points in the two losses. Etc. Magic point guard Jameer Nelson worked out again before Sunday's game and hopes to return to practice next week with the team. Nelson has missed the past 18 games with cartilage damage in his right foot. Nelson played the best basketball of his NBA career before the injury, averaging 23 points a game during a 10-game stretch. . . . When the Magic travel to Los Angeles Monday for their Tuesday game against the Lakers, Palm City's Susan Sugarman will fly with the team. Sugarman, a cancer patient, will fly with the Magic, members of the Corporate Angel Network. Since its birth, the network has arranged approximately 25,000 flights. . . . The Magic's next five games are on the road. They play the Lakers Tuesday, Golden State on Wednesday, Phoenix on Friday, Denver on Saturday and Utah on Monday.

2. ergo

ergo Member

Gundy enjoyed Francis? :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. MONON

MONON Member

I'm a big T-Mac fan & I agree that he had a bone to pick with Weisbrod, but hearing about T-Mac dissing him every trip into Orlando is getting old. Give it a rest, T-Mac, he's out of basketball & back into hockey where he belongs(if he belongs anywhere). Be a Proud Houstonian! You don't hear us dissing Bud Adams anymore do you? .......... Maybe I shouldn't ask that question :eek:

4. droxford

droxford Member

I think they had a few disagreements and the picture wasn't as rosy as JVG admits, but he's got class and won't rip a player to the press.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He ripped him enough in the past. . .
    no need to beat a dead horse. . . cause it would just look petty now

Rocket River

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

when? what did he say?

he called him out for the super bowl incident. but he hasn't said a bad thing about steve since then.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's time to let it go.

But in T-Mac's defense, it looks like someone directly asked him the question "if not for Weisbrod, would you still be in Orlando?" Really all he did was answer the question. And it's not really "ripping" someone if everything is true.

But yeah, I'd prefer if all parties involved would just move on. It's ancient history now.

8. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Tmac's not the only one who needs to move one

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/COLUMNISTS0306/602270322/1065/SPORTS

Sports columnist Pete Kerasotis is a native of Merritt Island and a graduate of Merritt Island High and the University of Florida. His cutting-edge columns focus on nation, state and local issues.

February 27, 2006
    McGrady a winner only on scoreboard

ORLANDO - -- Tracy McGrady was back in the O-rena on Sunday, and the Orlando Magic lost.

Coincidence?

Nah.

Nothing much positive seems to happen for the Magic whenever McGrady is around. It was that way when he was here as the hometown star, and that way when he was here again, as a visitor in a different uniform.

No, not much has changed. Not with the Magic and certainly not with Me-Mac.

McGrady flew into Orlando hours before the game with typical theatrics. We wouldn't expect anything less from him, a one-man soap opera. The latest is that, because of the death of his fiancée's mother, McGrady missed Houston's Friday night game against Golden State, and then it was iffy as to whether he would show up Sunday.

He did, lugging along all the usual drama we're accustomed to. And yes, we're very much accustomed to it. When he played for Orlando, Me-Mac shut down on the team two seasons ago, when the Magic went 21-61. He also feuded with then-GM John Wiesbrod, often criticized the talent level of his teammates, and talked about retiring or how he didn't always play his hardest.

Now with Houston, McGrady recently said he'd like to go AWOL from the team. You know, just disappear for several days. After all, there's a lot of stress that goes with playing basketball a few times a week.

Oh well.

No, nothing much has changed, including the Magic being on the wrong end of the scoreboard when Tracy's in the house.

On top of that, McGrady ripped into Weisbrod before the game, which is yet another one of his favorite pastimes. McGrady said (and I'm not making this up) that he was "escape goat" in Orlando. According to his revisionist history, nothing bad that happened while he was with the Magic was his fault. It was all Weisbrod.

"You let one individual screw the whole organization up," McGrady said of the former general manager, who abruptly quit after last season. "He screwed the whole thing up, and it took a while for everybody to really realize that. Everybody thought I wanted out. I'm at home. Then you trade Cuttino Mobley. I didn't understand that. But like I said, it was too late. That's water under the bridge. I don't even think about that stuff no more."

Yeah, whatever.

Once again, nothing much changes. Witness Sunday's game for example, and how the Magic again lost with McGrady in the house. Different uniform, same result. But there's a flip side to this, too. You see, even while the Magic are again looking at another season with 50-plus losses, it's not like Me-Mac's new team is faring much better.

Last season, which was McGrady's first in Houston, the Rockets were a one-and-out playoff team. If that sounds familiar, it's because that's exactly what the Magic were three of the four years Me-Mac played in Orlando. The other season, which was his last in Orlando, the Magic didn't even make the postseason.

Yet, this is how McGrady summed up his Orlando years yesterday. Try not to choke on your corn flakes.

"We had a great freakin' run here, man, and then he (meaning Weisbrod) started trading everybody away."

That's right. "A great freakin' run." Imagine that.

Don't look now, but McGrady's Rockets are bringing up the rear in the Western Conference's Southwest Division, with currently only five more victories than the Magic.

Same old, same old.

Maybe it's just something about Me-Mac, and the way he has a knack of bringing out the mediocrity in teams.

But, you know, things move on. One by one the Magic traded all three of the players who came over in the McGrady trade -- the aforementioned Cuttino Mobley along with Kelvin Cato and just last week Steve Francis.

Once again, there's a new look and a different energy.

Recent additions Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic keep showing that they could be starters. The Magic also refused to fold, even when they were down 74-54 with 10 minutes to go. They eventually pulled to within three points during the waning seconds. Not bad.

It was a refreshing brand of basketball.

Come to think about it, it was about the only thing refreshing at the O-rena yesterday.

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Wow, now that article is full of pure hate and ignorance. Calling a death in the family theatrics is moronic in the least.

One thing for sure, They must miss the guy alot to still make references about his name like an elementary school kid.

10. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

haha that guy sounds so bitter, its like arguing on the internet, we can sense all his desperation in his words but still, he cant churn up any good come back. LAME-O.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I hope this guy that wrote the last article posted isn't a regular sportswriter, because he sure sounds like an idiot in that article. The description of him at the beginning doesn't describe him as a sportswriter.

Anyway, his whole point is that we will be mediocre and a one-and-out team with Mcgrady. The only difference is last year Mcgrady did that in a tougher Western Conference (those Magic playoff teams might not have even made the playoffs in the West), got the 5th seed, and pushed the series to 7 games...they can point out the 40 point blowout, but that's just one game.

Oh, and he reminds me of a lot of people on this board...giving knee-jerk reactions over one game, referring to Darko and Arroyo. The worst part is they lost the game and he's praising them (although they did play pretty well, to be fair). That franchise is only going to go as far as Dwight Howard carries them with the players they have now.

I don't know if I've seen a decent article come from the Sentinal yet.

12. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Usually the hateful articles come from the Sentinel but this one was from Florida Today.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Boy!! Compaired to that article, T-Mac was praising Weisbrod. I may have been a little harsh on T-Mac.