1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flip Side of Gilbert Arenas(LINK and MUST READ)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by westbury44, Sep 7, 2003.

1. westbury44

westbury44 Member

Flip Side of Gilbert Arenas(LINK)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gilbert Arenas sat in his agent's Southern California beach house one mid-July day, hair uncombed, face unshaven. After days of enjoying a red-carpet courtship by the Washington Wizards, Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors, the free agent guard was racked by sleeplessness and nervousness.

He did not know which of the long-suffering teams' millions he wanted to take. As the waves poured in from the Pacific and the controller of the video game he had worn out sat idle, he finally figured out how he would make up his mind: He would flip a coin.

He had eliminated Golden State, where he had played his only two seasons in the league and earned the NBA most improved player award last season. Not enough money and some bitter feelings that arose during negotiations eliminated the Warriors, he said.

The Clippers were heads, the Wizards were tails. Ten flips of a quarter would decide.

Heads came up eight times.

Washington it was.

"I always go against the odds," Arenas said of his unconventional process. "When the Clippers came up eight times, I was like, I don't go with the grain. I go against the wave. I go upstream."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whole article

#1 westbury44, Sep 7, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Why is this such a must read?

Interesting way to pick a team, but I think both the Warriors and Clippers would have been better fits. He could have played more of a supporting role on the Warriors and Clippers, while in Washington he might be forced to be the #2 option.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He was the #2 option in Golden State, and would probably be #2 behind Brand in Los Angeles, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

But your right, this was more of a good read than a must read.

4. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

Gilbert Arenas... ehh... not big news... not a must read to me..