1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flip Saunders guarentees Wolves will beat Spurs in round one.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SpaceCity, Apr 20, 2001.

1. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2001/playoffs/news/2001/04/19/twolves_spurs_ap/

What a joke.

The team that didn't deserve to be in the playoffs is in for a rude awakening.

What Minnesota doesn't seem to understand is that to actually win in the playoffs the team needs to take it up to the next level.

Having never won a playoff series before, you'd think that they would have learned that by now.

By making this crazy statement, Saunders has pretty much quarenteed a first round sweep.

San An will have a field day.

------------------

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

RocksMillenium guarantees that the Spurs will stomp a mudhole in Minnesota in route to their 2nd championship in 3 years.

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited April 20, 2001).]

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Minnesota needs to let someone else have a turn. Don't they ever get tired of 3 and out every year? They'd have better luck in the lottery. They're just taking up space.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually not. . .
    David Stern: The number on pick in the draft goes to . . .
    The Timberwolves. . . But f*ck'em . .. I'm giving it to the lakers . . hhaahahaha [mandar laff]

Rocket River
    no 1st rounders sucks.

------------------

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Now if by some miracle the Wolves are still playing in game 5, you guys will be saying "it all started when Saunders raised the bar for his team". [​IMG]

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Anything can happen. Nah, Flip will have to eat a HUGE helping of crow!

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

7. Band Geek Mobster

Is it just me or are guarantees in pro sports getting really tired?

8. The Voice of Reason

Mark Messier was the best during the Rangers cup drive. damn I loved that team [​IMG]

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

9. Steve_Francis_rules

Why do you think they don't deserve to be in the playoffs? They had a very good record in a tough conference and were one of the best home teams in the league.

------------------

10. Steve_Francis_rules

It is ridiculous. Guarantees are so stupid because the players never promise to do anything if they turn out to be wrong, they just brush it off. Of course every team is going to be saying they think they have a shot to win, so just keep your mouth shut and play.

------------------

11. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

LOL!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] He's right!

------------------
    Jazzkiller

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The Wolves problem is not a question of tallent it is a question of coaching....Flip sucks.

------------------

13. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I disagree. Though I think Flip's a jackass, he is a damn good coach. He's gotten alot out of the players on that team. I think he's a bit of a control freak though....

------------------

14. ma-gaga

ma-gaga Member

i agree with the disagree (sort of). Flip is a good coach, however i wouldn't go as far as jackass. I mean he's pulled some nasty stuff, but on the whole he's a respectable coach that got more out of his team than anyone thought he would.

The T-Wolves deserve to be in the playoffs, but the 'guarantees' are lame. Just shut up and play.

------------------

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No I'll go out looting, because obviously it's the end of the world and we don't have much time to live if this happens! [​IMG]

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The T'Wolves have just as good a chance as we would have had. Not too good, but there is that 20% chance that the underdog will win.

The Wolves' frontcourt is very lacking compared to the spurs, while the Wolves' backcourt is more impressive.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Didn't Garnett make this same promise two years ago?

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

18. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

The Timberwolves are going to get killed. The spurs froncourt is gonna eat the Rasho/ Slater/Garrett froncourt combo alive. Garnett will be doubled constantly, and I think most of the shooters on the Pups are too streaky, and won't be able to knock down their shots.

------------------

19. Band Geek Mobster

He was right, they did beat San Antonio, unfortunately they only beat them once.

It must suck to know your team will never do better than getting eliminated in the first round.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 30, 2001).]

20. Live

Live Member

First of all, a tip of the hat goes to the Spurs. They are on a roll, and yet they still haven't played their best ball.

Now as for the Wolves, I know KG has made comments about how he's a team player, how he's not concerned about being a big scorer. But the Wolves are not going to go to the next level until Garnett realizes that he needs to be the primary offensive option, scorer, and, most importantly, focus. They have some wonderful shooters in Szcerbiak (sp?), Brandon, Peeler, etc. who would at their best playing off of KG rather than trying to create their own shot. I say put him at the elbow, spread the floor, and allow him to make a move or find open teammates.

Defensively, they're fine. They did a fairly solid job on the Spurs considering the amount of minutes Slater plays at the post, the Spurs are a tough matchup for anyone, particularly when your C is 6'7".

KG has to step it up offensively if that team is to go anywhere.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Live (edited May 01, 2001).]