1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fitness] Need Help W/ Work Out Plan.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

I just started getting into weight lifting a lot. I really don't know how to set up my schedule and what exercises to do. Can someone please help me?

Are you supposed to make different days for different body parts?

Upper body one day, then lower body or is it supposed to be Chest, Shoulders, Calf one day, then biceps, triceps, and thighs etc..?
    How are we supposed to set up the schedule?

Also do Protein shakes work? Which ones do you recommend? I have a cookies and cream one and that stuff is disgusting but I'm finally getting done with that.

My plan is to: Tone my body first, then gain muscle but is it supposed to be the opposite way? Gain muscle, then tone?.. I also am trying to get abs.

Someone help thanks.

2. Classic

Classic Member

Was like you once & had all the same questions. I dove in:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I went through tremendous physical change over the past year when I did this:

Go to the gym with someone who's been going for a while. It's very motivating to try to keep pace with someone who's doing it for a while.

Contrary to what people suggest, I went to the gym every day. For about 2-3 hours each day. Yeah, I had a lot of time on my hands. Basically my program was like this, on Mondays I would do all chest. decline bench. incline bench. flat bench. Since I was doing this with someone stronger than me, it motivated me to try things I thought I couldn't do. Pushing yourself to the limit really helps. The next day I would do all shoulders. The third day I would do back. The fourth, I would either do chest again or legs if I felt like it. I drank this energy drink that had a lot of sugar and it helped a lot.

Also, it really helps if you listen to the right tunes. I listened to Eminem's album "Recovery" for about 5-6 months at the gym. It REALLY REALLY pumps me up. Something about that album that really lit me up every time I hit the weights. Even now I haven't found a better album to listen to when at the gym.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is very popular on the Reddit fitness forum

[​IMG]

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xpzrnv"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpzrnv_starting-strength-squat-tutorial_sport" target="_blank">Starting Strength Squat Tutorial</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/mitchymitch77" target="_blank">mitchymitch77</a></i>

1 person likes this.
  5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Listen to this man

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The holidays got me. I've become a lazy fat kunt.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: You turned into a philosophe--oh, wait, that's Kant. :eek: Never mind.

8. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I run 3 miles at then gym, then do whatever body part it is that day.
    One day is Chest/Triceps, next day
    Then Back/Biceps, next day
    Shoulders, next day
    Legs/Abs
    One those days I do atleast 4 different workouts for said body part with 3 sets each doing 10 reps to 8 reps then 5 to 6 on my last set.
    After weights then I do 20 mins in the sauna to stretch and detox.

Then I do negate all that by eating less then stellar food, and then drinking. I suck.

1 person likes this.
  9. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Wow my english in that last one was turrible. I really should start proofreading my post better after I edit them.

10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

or not drinking so much ;)

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1000.

I beg of you not to waste time with split bodybuilding routines. You are the prime candidate to use a simple strength training program like Starting Strength. Depending on your bodyfat %, you can either cut your calories to lose fat, or eat a small surplus to gain muscle.

Also stop saying tone. ;)

What is your weight and height? bodyfat %?

12. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm 5'10. Not sure of my body fat %. How do i figure out? People tell me I'm not fat, and that I have a lot of muscle.

Yesterday, One guy who was working out told me he wished he had my body fat so I'm assuming its pretty good?.. and the dude was swole as heck lol.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

Oh I weight 175 last I checked (3 weeks ago) and I used to weight close to 185-190 (6 months ago)

14. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

pics?

[​IMG]

Ideal and realistically attainable would be 7-10%

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I'm weigh 160 and can bench 225 four to five times. I usually start off "back days" doing 20 wide grip pull ups to warm up, probably can do 22-25 if I "maxed out", depending on the day.

I am not big, on the lean side but looking at that pic ^^^^ I guess I can get leaner.

Currently about 13-14% body fat. I guess 10% would be ideal.

16. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I joined a gym in July and signed up for personal training once a week (twice every other week). Got assigned a real good trainer who really knows his stuff and actually does body competitions, has done some MMA training, etc. When we first started, we did a LOT of cardio and core-work (planks, etc). But, he had me doing the one body part a day routine (Monday all chest, Tuesday all back, Wednesday all legs, Friday all arms, Saturday all shoulder) and doing extensive ab work after each workout.

I really changed up my diet at the same time and have dropped 13% body fat (29%-16%) with only losing 18 lbs (209-92). I'm 5'10-5'11.

So, from MY experience, this is what I'd go with but everyone has their own workouts, do and don'ts, success stories, etc. But, I got assigned a new trainer (my guy got promoted) and he does more full-body workouts.

I was told the protein shakes/powders are a MUST. For breakfast every day, I blend together two scoops (chocolate) with 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, 5 oz water and 1/2 cup-1 cup egg beaters (a dab of chocolate syrup for extra flavor) to make a nice shake, and I take one scoop with a little 1% milk in the 30-45 minutes after a workout. Getting that protein (whether it's from the powder mix or a pre-made shake right after a workout is a MUST!!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post... just telling you my experience and hope it helps. Good luck!

#17 mogrod, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

If you feel like you are not fat...you don't have a belly..and can see some outline of your chest, triceps etc...then start on the strength training program.

Master these lifts: squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press and pull ups.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

are these exact body fat %? if so I'd say between 15% to 20% would be me. I'm really trying to lose the gut i have and i don't know how i have it because I don't eat bad food (No soda etc). Just 3 times, a huge breakfast, a mediocre lunch, and a small dinner. I also play ball and run a lot. These skinny people eat like 6 times more than what I eat and very unhealthy and that pisses me off. I don't even drink beer so I can't have a beer belly or anything. So what can be the reason? How do we set up our nutrition and such? I really never understood nutrition but I try to eat as healthy and as much protein as possible. (I am Paki, so could it be the paki food)?

19. SK34

SK34 Member

Correction 18% to 22% would be me. I can see out lines to my packs coming in and etc..