1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[First Take] Kenny Smith Flames Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Feb 15, 2018.

1. UrbanEnterprise

Kenny will always root for 1. point guards first. 2. North Carolina alumni. 3. New York players. 4. Houston Rockets

in that order. he's always been a realistic Rockets fan. I actually prefer his unbiased opinions unlike Michelle Beadles unprofessional journalism.

tinman and cbs1507 like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

No one values these idiots opinions. It's good content to keep ourselves entertained till the playoffs start.
    Games are played on the court. We will see what happens then. Until then i don't care if the warriors are mentally fried or bored.
    We are #1 in the league and these haters can suck it.

D-rock likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

QUICK, EVERYONE ----- ballscientist is trying to speak!

hajkov and D-rock like this.
  4. aroundtheblock2

This is all fine by me. I don't really care what the TNT guys say anymore. They decided a long time ago that they know everything and no stats or anything else matters when it comes down to it. All of their analysis is 100% "gut feeling", no more, no less.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Am I the only one that thinks it's a compliment to say the Rockets can beat the Warriors if they play 4 perfect games? Because the rest of the league can play 4 perfect games and still lose to a Warriors team that isn't even playing their best. They're just that good. I love our team. I believe we can beat them. But this Warriors team is historically good and the Rockets are going to be the under dogs until they prove otherwise.

DreamShook and D-rock like this.
  6. Vivid

Vivid Member

You know that rooting for the current squad doesn't diminish anything the championship year Rockets team did right? You have consistently become one of the worst things about this great site. You're like the annoying Cowboys fan that always points back at the 90's, except you do so to deride anything our team has done or is currently doing. So what if there was hype during the Yao/Tmac era? Not everyone is as old as you are, guy. Not everyone looks at the same time period with an almost negligent amount of nostalgia. Kids may have grown up with Yao as the best player they saw live. Many kids now are growing up with Harden as the best player they've seen live. Thats how fandom works, its not a hierarchy. We are all equals under the banner of Rockets. This year's squad is trying to make their own history, and in the process have made themselves the only possible king slayer in all of the NBA kingdom. They are doing things no other Rockets team has done before.

Don't buy into the hype? How about fans buying into the fact that their team is number 1. Forget for a second that we have an all-era team in the Warriors and just concentrate on the team this site is dedicated to for a second. When was the last time the Rockets had the best record in the NBA this far into the season? I'll answer it for you, never. In fact we've never been first in our conference this far into the season. Also, this isn't the halfway point of the season. We are 70% through, sitting at the top, Rockets fans should be able to just live in the moment. If we go .500 the rest of the way, we will still tie the best record in Rockets history. Kenny with a non-answer and subtle dismissal in my opinion. We'll get plenty more hate, good teams get that. Good teams that haven't won yet get it the most.

Lets shut them all up and go win the Whole D*** Thing!

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh....considering Smith was called "The Jet" while he played (he retired before Jason Terry ever played a game), how is the real jet Jason Terry?

Dark Rhino and Plowman like this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

Pretty much. WE should be the feel good story of the NBA at this point. Everybody in the media either doubted us, said our 2 superstar couldn't coexist, or that we couldn't play enough defense to be elite. ALL of those things were 100% wrong. The Rockets have made themselves into contenders, but the same ppl who got it wrong seem to be ignoring how wrong they were from the jump. Instead of admitting James & Chris are perfect together, they double down on the same talking points, GS is the best team, Lebron, Lebron, Lebron, OKC (Westbrook, Westbrook, Westbrook). Everybody's looking for the right hottake instead of giving a logical basketball response

Houstunna, Richie_Rich and lw17 like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I honestly NEVER heard him referred to as THE JET in Houston
    and
    That is all that matters to me

Rocket River

10. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Consider the sauce. Everyone said there weren't enough balls for CP3 and Harden. Look at what they are doing. I pray the pundits continue to bash the team, they need the inspiration. (Hey Kenny, you're never going to be a Rockets coach. Douchebag.)

lw17 likes this.
  11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

You know you’re doing something right when people start bringing you down with “if” bombs.

Truth be told, this has been an injury-plagued season. A season in which time on the court together is the number one thing this team needs with all the new faces on the roster. We still have a long way to go. In the meantime, I guess the Rockets have to settle for being only a half game ahead for BEST IN THE LEAGUE at the midway point! This year is crazy.

Maybe Kenny the Rocket is doing this on purpose to make sure the Rockets have bulletin board material. He wants to make sure the rockets stay hungry and stay driven after being the best team in the league.

12. MystikArkitect

Didn’t know Les owed Kenny money too.

Houstunna and tinman like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because no one remembers that Nick name. I watched him his entire career on Rockets and never recalled an announcer referencing him as Kenny the Jet.

Richie_Rich and Houstunna like this.
  14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Isn't Kenny the one that got waived in the summer of 96 so Matt Maloney could be the starting point guard?

lw17 likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a line between rooting for a team and homerism and realism

it's not my fault you don't walk that line.

It's the same story for every thread. Nobody really cares what ROCKETS Fans think, they care about what TV PERSONALITIES think.
    Old has nothing to do with predictions. If he doesn't predict the Rockets to beat Golden State, that doesn't make me mad one bit.
    Clutch is old too.
    We're the number 1 seed by 1 game dude.
    Again, you realize that the Rockets won the titles when they were the #2 and #6 seeds.
    Cleveland last year was the not the #1 seed in the east and they made the finals.

Kenny doesn't predict we will win. What did you expect??

Nobody predicted the Rockets to win the titles both times, I didn't care.

I care about championships not what tv people say, but all of you do care.

#115 tinman, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    cbs1507 likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Q: Where did you get the nickname ‘The Jet?’

A: High school. A writer at the New York Daily News. I played a game in my senior year and the next day the headline read, ‘the Jet goes off.’ I was reading the article, and kept wondering, who is this guy ‘the Jet?’ I had no idea it was me. And then I read, ‘Kenny ‘the Jet’ Smith, jetting up the court in high school,’ and it just stuck.

---------------

http://thebiglead.com/2010/06/11/six-questions-with-kenny-the-jet-smith/

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Supporting member: check
    1999er: check
    REAL: check

18. tinman

Supporting Member

He was on the decline and got old.

It's hilarious it's turned into a Kenny Smith hate thread. I seriously doubt the majority of the fans here remember or know how good he was when we got him. He was a dude who just jacked up open 3s.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The general population here has major problems with self-hatred and what random people think. It's concerning.

Don't blow-up this thread with replies now, let the playoffs do the talking.

cbs1507 and tinman like this.