1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Debate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, I just shut that crap off. Blah, blah, blah, blah. They both suck! All I heard in the first 15 minutes was a bunch of crap from both sides.

"My plan" this and "My plan" that. Neither of these guys has any freakin' clue about what the hell America really wants. All they want to do is play to the audience they think will elect them: seniors, the middle class, American workers.

These debates would've been far more creative and would've answered a whole hell of a lot more questions if they allowed Nader and Buchanan in them. At least then we would hear less of "I want to bring people together," "lock boxes for social security" and whatever else they think sounds good behind the podium.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Jeff,

who asks the questions??
    Surely if they asked direct questions about the peoples issues it wouls be relevant.

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

You're missing a great debate Jeff.

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It doesn't matter who asks the questions. The candidates responses seem like stock campaign speeches to me. Even Bush's stupid jokes seem rehearsed. I thought for a moment that it might get interesting when they were interrupting each other, but it quickly petered out. Right now it seems that neither one is being completely honest.

I know they don't like each other, why won't they admit it?

As an impartial observer(as in I don't liek either one) Gore seems more impressive.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

5. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Man you ain't missing nothing. I mean seriously, is it just me or would you much rather watch Bush & Gore roll around on the floor beating the $h*t out of each other? Or at least a Celebrity Death Match featuring the two. Man where are the options?

-Turbo

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I just want one of them to turn to the other and say "That's not what I said at all you goddamned liar, for crying out loud how stupid are you?"

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Bush: "The question was about emergencies, right?" -- referrinng to Gore dancing around the question and actually getting a few laughs out of the democratic crowd.

That was hilarious.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It reminds me of that Rage Against the Machine video for Testify. Both candidates are shown making statements that are identical, I mean absolutely identical.

Then, at the end, the two candidates morph into one mix of the two.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

Ironic that both wore red ties.
    Please don't go Bill! 4 more years!

10. Gascon

Gascon Member

I feel like I'm shopping for deodorant and the only brands left in the store are the ones that I'm allergic to that give me a rash and Women's Secret.

Do we really have to choose between these two monkeys? [​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A comment

Has anyone else noticed that, at least among online voters, Bush seems to be winning with much more frequency. For instance, after the debate today, I went to 4 or 5 of these online poll places and at each place Bush was winning, some by a landslide. And I notice too that the vote.com or whatever its name is poll is always the one showing Bush with the biggest margin. Any explanations??

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Jeff, I have to agree 100% with your spin on last night's debate. After all the build-up & hype about the first debate, it turned out to be a real dud. Neither said anything new, nor did they say anything that made much sense. They kept talking about their differences on certain issues, but one thing is the same about Gore & Bush:

They are both a couple of clods!

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

13. rock

rock Member

Online polls cannot be very accurate. I'm sure the majority of the online users live in cities. I worked for the Gallup Organization for 2 years and from that experience (a dreaded one) I learned that sample should be taken to include the entire United States and votes limited to those who have internet access simply is not accurate.

You have to get the opinions of all voters that are going to take part in the election and not just those who are able to vote online because there are still a lot of people our there that don't have computers.

I feel that if anyone wins in a landslide, it will be as a result of the debates. However, I feel that the most accurate polls are showing that the two candidates are dead even.

------------------

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

JayZ,

I don't know about the online polls. But two that I saw this morning on TV had...

Gore 46%
    Bush 41%
    Tie 13%

------------------
    I am the thread killer

15. rascal

rascal Guest

Remember, to take an online poll you must have a computer and internet access. That puts it out of reach for most lower income citizens (typically Dems). So most taking those polls are uppermiddle class (typically Republicans).

Yes, I know, the library offers free internet access, but I've never seen one person on those things taking a poll -- they're too busy figuring out how to get around the system's anti-p*rn filter [​IMG]

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I thought the exchange on Abortion was good. It appeared to me that Gore had Bush on the run. And if it's true that 4 judges could be appointed this term, then this is a major election for that reason alone. Gore appeared to tell the truth on that subject. Bush seemed to skirt it. In a less restrictive setting I think Gore would have cornered him and taken the round. Bush has nowhere to run on this issue and he knows it.

Gore took round one.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

All I have to say is it's all fuzzy math!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I just have one question.

How exactly do you pronounce Milosevic? [​IMG]

------------------
    I am the thread killer

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought the debate was pretty good. I thought there was much more depth and coverage of issues than in most debates. At one point, Gore asked if they could have another round on Social Security because it was such an important part of this campaign. I thought both were willing to go into details and didn't just hit the surface of each issue...rare in my opinion.

Clearly these guys are not identical. If you can't see that then you're not watching. They disagree at a very fundamental level about the role of government in our lives. I mean, that's the age-old debate...and it continues and always will. It's at the very heart of most the debates we have in this forum between conservatives and liberals. I thought both parties positioned their arguments very well. I disagree with Gore on the issues, but I think he did a fine job last night.

------------------

20. outlaw

outlaw Member

I don't think anyone here is saying they don't differ ideolgically, just that they're both equally smug, uninspiring and annoying.