1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

JJ Watt got hurt and we were fine last year.

2. Nook

Nook Member

We were fine last year? Way to have really high standards.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

After Watt's injuries we shouldn't have counted on him so much

4. vonbock

vonbock Member

Simple, giving up a top 5 1st round draft pick and a top 5 second draft to where you top pick is in 3rd round. RS blows all his lower round draft picks anyways. To me, he needs to go for these reasons. We have a wasted draft coming up, and nothing to look forward to next year. Don't say D'S is coming back because I have a strange feeling he is going to get injured again and another blown year next year. RS will keep resigning old free agents like jj , kj, and Cushing.
    But nothing will happen because RS probably has something on McNair r to force McNair to keep him

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Going into this offseason, we'll need 3 starters on the OL and 3 in the secondary. And this has nothing to do with injuries.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. texian

texian Member

Peter King, Monday Morning Quarterback
    Sports Illustrated

1. I think I can understand if the friction between Texans GM Rick Smith and coach Bill O’Brien will lead to a split, with Smith staying and O’Brien leaving; CBS’s Jason LaCanfora reported sources telling him a split is imminent. O’Brien is a strong-willed guy, and I have always believed the Deshaun Watson pick as mostly Smith on an island picking a player he really wanted—and denuding the top two picks in the 2018 Houston draft as a byproduct.

But I will just say this, as someone who has been around O’Brien and Watson: They’'ve got a very good thing going. Without the injury to Watson, Houston would be in the playoff chase right now, and Smith and O’Brien would live with their issues. Watson really respects O’'Brien and I believe would be really disappointed if O’Brien leaves; he'’s told people he doesn’'t want to play for anyone else.

Having said that, I also believe O'’Brien would catapult to the top of a few coaching searches if he gets dismissed at the end of the season. I don’t believe a split is certain, but...

• • I doubt sincerely O’Brien would sign an extension with the exact current power structure of the Texans.
    • • It’s not inconceivable that O’Brien would coach out his final year in 2018 and walk away.
    • • It’s possible that if O’Brien forces the issue and insists on a revised front-office structure he could be fired.

It’s going to be an interesting few days in Houston after Week 17.

Good coaches leave, Smith stays.

Welcome to Rickville, Houston. For as long as a McNair owns the team.

Call it the Houston Browns.

#FireRickSmith

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Firing Rick Smith is the only thing that will turn this franchise around.

Here's the current situation... You have a legit franchise QB. Your defense is now not guaranteed to be anything more than above average (even with a healthy Watt and Mercilus) because the secondary has proven to be atrocious. K. Johnson is quickly moving toward the bust category, JJo is old and slow and shouldn't be a starting CB anymore. Kareem has consistently regressed ever since signing his big FA deal (for some reason he still doesn't turn his head to track the ball when covering a receiver). Not to mention the fact that these guys are always injured, leading to the team relying on guys like Gilchrist and co. to pick up the slack (an unrealistic expectation). There are legit concerns about Watt's ability to ever be a really good DE again (due to his injuries). Clowney is great. Mercilus is really really good. But those two guys (and possibly a healthy Watt) can't carry the entire defense when the secondary is trash.

On offense you have arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL. It's littered with old and slow veterans who would be backups on the vast majority of NFL teams. The one guy you can build around on the line is Nick Martin and he now has a serious injury for the second time in 2 years. The TE corps has taken a major blow with the real possibility of CJ never playing another down in the NFL again. Griffin is a solid TE and Anderson has shown some flashes but a TE corps of Griffin and Anderson is nothing to write home about. Your receivers are fine and Hopkins and Fuller should prove to be one of the better receiving duos in the league next year with a healthy Watson. Miller has yet to live up to his billing when he came to Houston, but a large part of that could be the fact that he's never run behind a good O-line in the past 2 seasons.

All of this is to say that we have major issues. We need to drastically improve our secondary and O-line. We need to add depth all over the defensive side of the ball (especially the secondary). We need to improve our TE corps to some degree.

So, those are the main issues that need to be addressed. Now how are we going to address them? We don't have picks in until the 3rd round of the draft. So we can pretty much count out the draft as a way to address any of our major needs in the secondary or on the O-line. Can we add some depth to the defense and O-line in rounds 3-7? Absolutely. But has Rick Smith done anything to inspire confidence in his ability to successfully navigate rounds 3-7 of the draft? Absolutely not.

So that leaves us with free agency as the main avenue to improve this team during the offseason. I have no idea who some of the big name FA's will be but I'm sure there will at least be a few guys out there who could be really solid additions to areas of weakness on the team. Now, the same question applies to free agency as the draft. Has Rick Smith proven that he can successfully navigate free agency in an attempt to drastically improve the team?

I'm not sure he has. Signing Jonathan Joseph is easily his most successful FA acquisition. Danieal Manning was a solid addition as well. Tony Bergstrom? Awful. Jeff Allen? Awful. Brock? Awful (no matter who you blame for signing Brock, it's still an awful FA addition). Lamar Miller? Not great (so far) but not bad. So why is there any reason to believe that, despite the need to improve the 2018 Texans through free agency and a very flexible salary cap situation for the Texans, Rick Smith will actually do a good job of improving the team through free agency?

All of this is to say that the only solution (IMO) is to fire Rick Smith. Time and time again he's shown his inability to successfully improve the team and I see no reason to believe he's going to magically get it right this offseason.

red5rocket, Nook, gatsby and 2 others like this.
  8. texian

texian Member

NFL Football, Week 15: 4 Winners, 4 Losers
    Sean Pendergast December 18, 2017

LOSERS

1. Rick Smith
    Since the season is now officially lost, Texans games are pretty much bereft of meaningful plays and short-term storylines. Everything is about the big picture — how did we get here, why is it so bad, and where do we go from here? As a result, the Texans' postgame show (of which I am the host on SportsRadio 610) has turned into a three hour piñata session each week, with general manager Rick Smith serving as the cardboard donkey and the callers serving as the stick swingers. The tenure of Smith (and whether it should end) probably deserves its own post, but the vitriol spewed at the Texans' GM is completely warranted considering his willingness to enter the season with this offensive line and the precipitous drop off of talent level on this roster after the first dozen or so players.

I'll leave you with this — there are eight other general managers still employed with the teams they were with the day Smith was hired by Bob McNair back in June 2006. Smith has the worst winning percentage of all of them, and aside from Rick Spielman in Minnesota, they have all either won a Super Bowl (New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New Orleans) or own the team (Dallas, Cincinnati).

And then there's Rick Smith, with his three wild card round playoff wins in 11 seasons. Yay.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rick Smith's plan overly front load contracts and let our best free agents go has to be one of the dumbest ideas in the history of all General Managing

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Did Rick Smith just let go of possibly the best cover corner in the league?

red5rocket, texian and RasaqBoi like this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just??? He had all last year to extend, then all off-season to offer, and then if all else failed, he had a franchise tag to use.

red5rocket, Nook, texian and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....Boye did show anything until after the season started...maybe 2 games in. Come on now. Stop with the revisionist history.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Then why did Bouye receive an extension offer from ricky smits before the season? Cause ricky didnt see anything in him to begin with? Or are you taking away from his "incredible" scouting acumen? Which is it? Or am I an idiot like everyone else you disagree with?

Hey yall, I got an idea. Lets fire ricky smits and hire @Mr.Scarface as our next GM. He is more than capable. He 'thinks' he knows everything about football and loves to berate people. Perfect scenario.

Nook, King1, texian and 2 others like this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’ve got to do this or I’ll explode. Feel free to ignore, quote, bash, agree with, whatever.
    This is the projected starters for the year, how they got here and who the back up is...basically, Rick Smiths job.

QB- Tom Savage. You started the year with the guy who spent the last 9 years transferring and being hurt, hadn’t played football since he was 9 or something like that. Backup was Deshaun Watson, a guy who played 6 games and still might win rookie of the year. Took 4 or 5 picks to rectify the Brock disaster to go with the guy who couldn’t beat out Brock freaking Osweiler. It will fantastic if Watson stays healthy.

RB- Lamar Miller, free agent and maybe the best FA decision and position group on the board.

FB- yeah. He paid a fullback. One who is no threat to catch or run and from what I’ve seen barely threatens to block anyone.

OL- projected to start a guy who didn’t want to play, a 2nd round bust, a center who hadn’t played a single down, a free agent you paid like the pro bowler you let wall except he’s anything but a pro bowler and I guess a mid 30s veteran street free agent. Jesus Christ. Who are the backups? A guy you already cut once this season, a recovering cancer patient and another’s center who played ok last year. Jesus Christ Monkey balls.

Te- injury riddled Fiedorowicz and griffin, backed by a udfa. Wow. He paid 2 of them.

WR- 2 good wideouts were 1st round picks, one was probably a kubiak decision and the other notables are a street free agent and a QB convert. Starters good. Backups lulz.

Credit for 2 picks, 1st rounders like it’s difficult to find good players in the 1st but Fuller and Watson are his decisions. One of which he couldn’t roll with over Thomas F. Savage.

Defensively the front consists of a #1 overall, 3 other 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks and a slew of mid/late round picks and free agent money over the years. And they’ve been ferocious on paper but beatable on the field. Make no mistake, this has never been an elite unit. They’ve let quality players walk over and over but this seems like the best part of the roster depthwise. It should be. The value they’ve placed on it in draft and free agency borders on ridiculous.

Joseph- kept instead of Bouye, who is playing like an all pro. Joseph is barely the best corner on the team and his competition is....

Kareem Jackson- “developed” for about 4 years before he got it, got it for about 2 seasons max and has regressed. Even though he’s slow and better at tackling than covering they refuse to move him to safety.

Johnson- has been hurt but is regressing in his 2nd season. That’s a bad sign. Isn’t even close right now.

And they’ve never really undone the damage of signing ed reed over Quin. A couple single season flashes from free agents. Safety has been such a sore spot for so long people seem numb to the fact that they are really bad at safety.

Teams, have been truly terrible and this year is no differently. Fairbairn has been inconsistent but at least shows NFL leg and talent.

So what position has smith not completely fubarred?

PUNTER.

Nook, texian, BigShasta and 1 other person like this.
  16. vonbock

vonbock Member

After hearing these posts, I feel depressed. We might be hanging with the browns for a few years except for less draft picks

17. texian

texian Member

The front loading was to make up for the glaringly giant pit of unspent salary cap, money that could have been used to retain Bouye.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bro you know Pretty Ricky don't franchise or talk contracts during the season.

At the end, Bouye bet on himself and it paid off big time for him at the end. For Rick, if you get out bid, you get out bid. Some teams are in better position to offer more and well that's the market. The big problem was him thinking a) Kevin Johnson could replace him despite going on IR twice in 2 seasons, or b) he could find another diamond in the rough via draft or UDFA. In either case, it was just poor foresight and/or arrogance.

Nook likes this.
  19. texian

texian Member

He franchised Dunta Robinson.

And why doesn't Smith have to do GM work during the season? What purpose does that serve, other than lightens his workload. Other, better GMs do it.

Just think, had Watson not been injured we could have been a playoff team with Bouye and Brown.

Why throw this season away before it began? Asking for a friend.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rick Smith drafts the soon to be GOAT quarterback.
    Fire his ass!!!!

Bill O'brien gets great results with said GOAT quarterback and will be looking to do even better next season.
    Nope! Sorry! Fire his ass!!!!

Yep, it' confirmed. I'm in bizarro-Houston.