1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. raining threes

I called for the Jimmy G pick before that draft. The biggest mistake of the O'brien era. It still haunts this franchise until this day. Savage can make all things right down on Kirby.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  2. raining threes

Which is why you should package later round picks so you and move up and get atleast 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds. Smith a decade later has finally figured out how to target who he wants and is moving up to get them.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sure, agreed.
    Here's an article from 2 years ago that does a good job of breaking down NFL players by draft position.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...nt-is-success-to-draft-position/#286b17b28eac

I also did some quick googling after I posted that last post of mine, and most rankings i found had Smith in the teens. He'd probably average somewhere are 12th-14th as a GM. Of course, those were subjective.

I think he has had two key faults that keep him out of top tier status. (i) 3rd and 4th round whiffs. (ii) QB.

Unfortunately, we are far into a regime where these areas haven't really gotten better. SO the question is do you stick with what you got, and hope a "franchise" QB materializes and then you have a consistent playoff team with championship hopes, or at what point do you say we've done "ok", but would rather do better.

I guess I'm ok with Smith.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'd also guess most people have the Texans somewhere in the teens as far as team strength goes...sounds about right.
    QB Dont materialize. You don't get them in late rounds and other people depth charts. Occasional a top tier guy will go somewhere in free agency, otherwise QBs that are worth a crap are almost always drafted and drafted high. This is why his 1st round record rings hollow. Picking trenches is a great theory but it's not difficult or risky. They've ignored the most important position in sports. That is an unmitigated failure and 10 JJ Watts can't undo no QBs.

Not to mention, smith only carefully and barely stamps his name on the things that work out well. If it failed, it was wade's pick, it was McNair 's decision, etc. it's some weird shell game amidst a house of mirrors.

raining threes likes this.
  5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Lol. Why would McClain even post this mess? No front office is that black and white.

6. raining threes

You're right those rankings are very subjective.

If you're OK with Smith then you're OK with mediocrity.

7. JayZ750

I "guess" I'm ok. I'd like someone better. But also recognize there's lots worse options out there and that if you sub Texas QBs for a top 7ish guy then we are viewing Smith different.

Of course its Smiths job to get that QB.

8. raining threes

The worst place to be is in the middle. IMHO

Not bad enough to get a QB/Great players.

Not good enough to be a true Super Bowl contender.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yaosthirdleg and TheFreak like this.
  10. JayZ750

Generally I agree. Though that's only if you have a middling staff. Because the Browns clearly disprove this point. Or the Jaguars of the last decade. Those are the worst places to be, but those are very rare in the modern NFL.

Also, the role of the QB in the NFL makes it a bit of a different beast. Not that anyone should get a pass for completely screwing that up, but just it is fair to note with a healthy top 8ish QB the entire evaluation of the staff is viewed through a different light. And once again it comes down to that for the Texans. Cause even in the AFC South, 9-7, 9-7 and whatever this year becomes with 8 starting QBs, non of whom are any good, and potentially 2 trips to the playoffs.... well that is impressive, even if it ultimately isn't very meaningful.

raining threes and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think if you have a great FO, you trust them to make the right pick no matter what slot they are in like the Pats and Seahawks. However, both got their QBs out of the first round; luck really paid off for them

12. raining threes

I would agree with y'all if Rick actually took drafting QB's seriously.

During his tenure he has selected 4th rd (Savage) 7th rd (Alex Brink)

That's Rick simply not valuing the QB position properly.

He should at the very least take a QB to develop every 3-4 years. You know like the Pats do and they have Brady. This should be a higher priority for the Texans than the Pats, but it hasn't been.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

To me, it's pretty clear that O'Brien has done a good job of making chicken salad out of chicken ****. Rick Smith can't control the injuries, so he gets a pass there, but the overall roster just isn't very strong. He should have been fired along with Kubiak and everyone else years ago.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

While yes not getting a QB is terrible, it surely doesnt mean that 1st round approach is no good. Cowboys are looking good going with trench picks. You can blow "safe" 1st round picks too.

Have they gone one safe pick too many? Perhaps. Though could also be looking at Cordarelle Patterson and Blaine Gabbert on the team too instead of Watt and Hopkins

15. Buck Turgidson

That's the Texans Braintrust...who is the 1 guy missing?

I know it' a joke right now....

I do like Cal's suit.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans have plenty talent.... except QB. Much of the '14 draft we complained about, now looks good and we haven't had many stink drafts recently. Smith and BoB's problem mainly seems QB evaluation. While it's only one problem, it's a big one. If Savage works out, Brock's evaluation specifically was the worst factor.. maybe more influenced by McNair. BoB had a big head thinking Hoylett and Fitz were the answer, but Savage could redeem him. Draft another QB next year anyway

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Need to be drafting one every couple of years anyway. Cutting Weeden saves you 4m as well I think

19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

The middle is fine if you have a QB. You can find great players all over the first and second rounds at every other position. A real franchise QB is much more difficult to find even at the very top of the draft most years. Do you trade a first for Jimmy G if Savage doesn't work out? What happens with Bradford in Minny with Bridgewater coming back? With Osweiler on the books, you won't be able to go out and sign a guy like Glennon most likely. And Cousins isn't leaving Washington. Matt McGloin is a free agent???? :)

20. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I actually think the roster is pretty decent relatively speaking. There are weak areas like almost every other team in the NFL but the QB spot is by far the most glaring. You plug in a starter like Stafford, Ryan, Big Ben etc. and you have a solid offense to go with the usual good defense. If only it were that easy.