1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. conquistador#11

Passes my "week to week 'gameplan' offense" eye test.
    A lot of twitter reaction when Mahomes announced late last night that before midway thru 2018 he didn't know how to read defenses. I believe him. In 2017 and prior or when the back up is in, you'll still see WRS moonwalk their routes and still be open AF

2. raining threes

3Rings likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/1919910/202...-offices-and-current-events/?source=twitterhq

Thirty certified agents agreed to answer questions. They did so anonymously to protect themselves and their clients, and to provide candid commentary on free agency and offseason moves, on general managers they trust and front offices they don’t, the league’s response to COVID-19 and whether the enhanced discussion on race will lead to change in locker rooms and executive suites.

1. From your agent perspective, what was the most interesting or surprising contract signed in free agency?

Jameis Winston signing a $1.1 million contract to back up Drew Brees in New Orleans (5 votes)
    Brady leaving the Patriots for the Buccaneers (3 votes)
    The Panthers re-signing McCaffrey to a four-year, $64 million extension (3 votes)
    Lack of interest in Jadeveon Clowney (3 votes)
    The Cowboys and Prescott being unable to finalize a long-term contract (2 votes)

Others:

Austin Hooper signs for four years and $42 million with the Browns
    Todd Gurley to Atlanta
    DeAndre Hopkins: “Can I pick a trade? DeAndre Hopkins traded to the Cardinals, but also David Johnson’s contract going back to Houston. That was a shock.”
    Jimmy Graham signs for two years and $16 million with the Bears
    Wide receivers: “The receiver market was a little different this year because of the receivers in the draft class coming out. We saw a couple of guys that actually got paid that are good players. Some of them, I believe, were overpaid. One guy in particular that came to mind is Randall Cobb. It was very surprising that the Texans paid him what they paid him (three years, $27 million). A lot of people thought that was kind of a head-scratcher based on his production last year and his age.”
    Case Keenum
    Eric Murray to Houston
    Newton’s lingering free agency
    Las Vegas’ aggressive pursuit of Marcus Mariota
    Washington taking forever to trade Trent Williams

2. Which franchise had the best offseason?

Buccaneers (12 votes)
    Dolphins (6)
    Browns (3)
    Colts (2)
    Others: Ravens, Panthers, Broncos, Cardinals, Bengals

Cardinals: “There should be more talk about the Cardinals’ offseason. They not only get DeAndre Hopkins, but they also dump David Johnson’s contract. Double win. They needed a No. 1 receiver, help for Kyler Murray and a fit with Larry Fitzgerald. Then they draft (Clemson LB) Isaiah Simmons with the eighth pick, sign (defensive tackle) Jordan Phillips and get a linebacker they liked in De’Vondre Campbell. That’s quality defensive help right there.”

3. Which franchise had the worst offseason?

Texans (11 votes)

“That trade is still mind-boggling. Getting Hopkins for David Johnson? Um, yeah.”
    “Bill O’Brien — there’s no way he should be the general manager.”
    “I just don’t understand them whatsoever.”
    “They rid themselves of their best player when not forced.”

Patriots (5)
    Jaguars (2)
    Jets (2)
    Packers (2)

Others: Chargers, Cowboys, Lions, Rams, Steelers

13. Among general managers or front-office leaders, whom do you trust the least?

Belichick, Patriots head coach (4 votes)
    John Elway, Broncos GM (3 votes)
    O’Brien, Texans head coach/GM (3 votes)

“Just talks out of both sides of his mouth. I don’t believe a word he says.”

Roseman (2 votes)
    Allen, ex-Redskins president (2 votes)
    Mike Brown, Bengals owner (2 votes)

Others: Brian Gaine (Bills), Stephen Jones (Cowboys), Scott Pioli (free agent), Tom Telesco (Chargers), Brett Veach (Chiefs), execs with the Rams, Saints and Vikings

15. Among general managers or front-office leaders, who is the toughest negotiator?

Patriots (5 votes)
    Brown/Bengals (2)
    O’Brien (2)

“Bill O’Brien is probably in the tough category. Really, he just doesn’t know what he’s doing. No idea. He’s trying to be a head coach and GM and negotiator all at the same time.”

Others: Ballard, Roseman, Thomas, Rob Brzezinski (Vikings), Tom Delaney (Raiders), Rich Hurtado (Broncos), Jason Licht (Buccaneers), Mickey Loomis (Saints), Kevin McGank (Bills), Adam Prasifka (Cowboys), Bob Quinn (Lions)

everyday eddie and Nimo like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Following David Johnson on twitter, I further understand what the Texans are doing. The moves made this offseason have Jack Easterby written all over them. Based on what we know about Jack, both David Johnson and Brandin Cooks are Easterby type of guys. Will Fuller is similar. They certainly have a type for their offensive players and they're sticking to it.

Another annoying thing about the offseason is that we're in year 5541 of the Bill O'Brien era and we're still trying to retool the offense. They keep changing personnel and the big acquisitions are almost always on the offensive side of the ball. And the offense still hasn't cracked the top ten. Hopefully they can get that right and pay the needed attention to the defense.

red5rocket and 3Rings like this.
  5. raining threes

I believe this was BOB's 1st yr to call the shots, It appears he wants speed at WR, which is smart because Watson throws the deep ball better than the intermediate stuff. He also wants RB's that can catch the ball out of the backfield.

On defense he's looking for interior pass rush and edges. Unfortunately he struck out on Chris Harris in FA. A CB room with Roby/Conley/Harris would've been solid enough to hang with the Chiefs WR's.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

What if I told you Watson throws more interceptions when throwing deep balls. And actually he is better statistically when he throws 20-30 vs 30+ yards.

Still looking huh? No Griffen. No Logan Ryan. No Eric Reid. No Cameron Wake or Clay Matthews. They didn't even trade for Slay (3rd and 5th), Casey (7th), Calais (5th), Buoye (4th). But they went and got Cooks and Johnson. Their eys

You actually think they were close to getting Harris LOL. No way Harris was going to come here and get paid less than Roby on the same team.

They want "good guys"; and they want to prove that he can put up a really good offense.

3Rings likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What year are you referencing when you say Watson "throws the deep ball better than the intermediate stuff" ?? You really dig yourself into a hole when you make blanket statements like that.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/qb-grid/houston-texans/season/week

PS: check out everyones favorite high school gym class QB in Tom Savage ... NOW THATS NOT A GOOD NFL QB! LOL

Fulgore likes this.
  8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

deep ball accuracy needs to be adjusted for end of half launches and separation of the receiver

Watson has some serious questions surrounding his play, but I’m not overly concerned by his deep ball accuracy considering the receiving corps he’s had

9. raining threes

Just an observation

Who's comparing Savage to Watson. Personally I'm happy Savage hung around for four years and will be able to get his pension.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That explains alot .. an "eye tester" ... hey have you ever visited texanstalk.com ?? I think you may like that experience. A bunch of old grumpy men who spend every day putting each other down and putting down the roster and probably the most toxic Texan fan experience in existence. You may find plenty of guys there that follow your line of thought.

I guess you are comparing them .. all I did was supply you a link where you could see how badly your eye test has failed you. I found it funny to see the Savage stats there in between Watson and just how awful Savage was, and it reminds me that OBrien only started Watson over Savage when he had to.

Good for Savage .. he should get his pension after getting Lobster Clawed in the end zone.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

buttchin will not be contained

[​IMG]

B-Bob, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

O hai again every1

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Cal McNair: Team is going in the right direction under Bill. Our defeat in KC was by a smaller amount than the playoff game. We may need Bill to take more team control to get us within a one digit loss in future games.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He still won’t be fired

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bill OBrien is a joke. HIs post game comments were nauseating. He's just a boss, not a leader.

LabMouse likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

In my opinion, Bill needs to go. He's not a horrible coach, he's really not, but he's not a good coach at all either, and he has been given too much power. He hasn't ever really adapted or learned from his mistakes, it's always the same thing over and over again, and those lack of adjustments are why I have pretty much lost faith in the guy. I've never seen a more stubborn coach with so few results to back it up. He will fairly consistently give you an average team, but I'm not sure that he will ever give you much more than that.

USA today put out a pretty damning article about him today. I think it's a pretty fair assessment of the guy.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/houston-texans-kansas-city-chiefs-analysis-bill-obrien

18. Damion Laverne

On the #FireOBrien and #FireMDA trains. Anybody want to join?

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Mediocre coach, yet isnt sht enough to b fired cause he can at least make it into playoffs. Coupled that the afc south isnt exactly a tough division.

Our offense has yet to reach top 10 and yet we are still retooling our offense plus sht oline during the BoB era.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is just embarrassing.
    • O’Brien’s worst decision didn’t really have any bearing on the outcome, but it speaks to his incompetence as a game-day coach. The Texans scored a late touchdown that cut the lead to 12 before the extra point. Instead of going for 2 and cutting the lead down to 10, O’Brien sent his kicker out on the field for some reason.

RayRay10 and Hank McDowell like this.