1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Your obsession over BOB is unhealthy. Criticizing his management of game manager QB’s is like being hypercritical about the performance or development of any 4th round draft pick.... and even then, he was able to get the most out of those guys. And if you’re going to blame him for every personnel move, he gets all the credit for the good ones.

They have Watson now and are moving forward in a positive trend. Also, I cannot say I would rather have any of the above QB’s you mentioned over Watson... almost makes the team look prophetic by not going after any of them.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LOL, I was just answering your question.

Seems you have an unhealthy obsession with defending a mediocre coach. "Getting most out of your guys" is just another way of saying he goes after crappy guys like Mallet and Hoyer.

And like I said, even with if you forgive him for completely screwing up the QB position for years, the offense still sucks with Watson, and he continues to screw up the OL.

Moving forward in a positive trend? They scored 19 points against he Broncos.

red5rocket and Htownballer38 like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

....and then he starts back Brock for the playoffs, wasting good defensive efforts

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. raining threes

You do when all of your QB options suck.

5. raining threes

Maybe he did, and realized it wasn't going to happen with Brock.

6. raining threes

Either

1. Savage really had a bad concussion.
    2. Starting Os wasn't his call.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The obsession of decision making about mediocre game manager QB's is strong with you. Turning chicken **** into chicken salad also must be a hobby of yours. In the end, you can say they should have traded years worth of draft picks to move up to Mariotta/Goff (which wasn't ever an option), or get all speculative as to who really didn't want Carr... in the end, they have Watson (who like I said is likely to be better than any of the missed QB's they didn't acquire over the last 5 years), and you move on with that regime.

When they were scoring 35 points/game last year and losing, that was looked at as a net negative. When they're winning games, but not necessarily blowing anybody out, its also a negative.

I'd say your analysis on this matter is truly circling the drain of shitty post after shitty post... be better.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You wouldn't trade Carr, Mariota, Winston or Prescott for Deshaun Watson. I'm not sure you'd trade Garoppolo, either. Beyond that, Carr, Garappolo and Prescott are the only three of that group the Texans had *any* legitimate shot to draft. And I really think they would've drafted Garoppolo at the top of the 3rd; New England unexpectedly swiped him three picks ahead of that.

You can bemoan his handling of the QB situation - it hasn't been good and there's plenty to gripe about. But it has to be tethered to reality.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You wouldn't trade Carr, Mariota, Winston or Prescott for Deshaun Watson.

And DW4, if healthy will have a better career than all of those QBs. Carr is trending downward, Prescott simply isn't a starting QB in the NFL, and Garappolo is still a wild card.

The "QB Situation" that BoB has had to deal with has had nothing to do with BoB, and everything to do with Rick Smith. BoB signed Hoyer, only because he was familiar with him - not because he was a long term option, and Rick Smith signed the Lobster without even consulting BoB.

DW4 is the first QB that BoB truly wanted since he's been here. Literally every single other QB was a stop-gap. He let Fitzpatrick go, because we knew what he was and where he could take us. He rolled the dice on Hoyer because we didn't know his ceiling, and while those odds were long at least they were odds that had possible trends upward. Fitzpatrick didn't get better when he left here, he was the same Fitz he's always been - and not our long term future. Same goes with Keenum.

20+ teams a season are looking for their answer at elite QB, the chances of the Texans finding theirs out of the gate post Schaub were slim, to none. Most team's "settle" on QBs, because elite QBs don't grow on trees... which is exactly why the Patriots are holding on for dear life with Brady. Once he's gone, all bets are off - they are in the same boat as most of the league.

#3229 Svpernaut, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    mario_v and raining threes like this.
  10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You clear didn't understand why I called it Bush league. Coach didn't try to coach the man up.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

But that was solely on him. He picked that litter of bad QBs.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And like I said earlier, you subscribe to the creed that all coaches should be able to turn chicken **** into chicken salad...

raining threes and Svpernaut like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At no point, minus the idiotic signing of Brock, were any of those QB's expected to be more than a stopgap.

Are you not happy with how it turned out? Watson is better, or has a chance to be better, than any other young QB out there.

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is bullshit... Brock is the same Brock now in Miami, three teams later than he was in Houston. He's had plenty of chances and plenty of "coaching up" and he is still Brock.

Exactly, no amount of coaching can turn a QB with zero pre-snap awareness and a complete lack of quick decision making skills into a starter in this league.

To steal a line from Nick, if all you have to eat is chickenshit, regardless of which piece of chickenshit you pickup to eat - it is still chickenshit. Bill chose the best QBs he could that he thought he could win with in his scheme - and he did so. He had a 9-7 season three seasons in a row with 11 different QBs, none of which were his first choice.

Which included a playoff run with Osweiler, a terrible QB that he did not pick - he was a QB Rick Smith gave him and said, "make this work." And you know what, he did again. No team in the NFL and no coach in the NFL has gotten more out of less at QB than BoB has since he's been here.

Feel free to rattle off names of coaches with three straight winning seasons using 11 QBs... or even a handful. You can't, because he's the only guy who's done that. But nope, he has no clue how to "coach up" Osweiler? GTFO of here with that BS.

csj, mario_v, Joshfast and 2 others like this.
  15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

A random fan on the internet calling BoB a dumb**** is like a high school physics student calling an established physicist a dumb****

BoB knows more about football than any internet poster ever will know.

Thats the painful truth for basic football fans

csj, mario_v, Joshfast and 2 others like this.
  16. raining threes

Look at who he had to pick from.

17. raining threes

Does this apply to Hue Jackson?

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I can't agree with this statement (although it's true bob has more fb knowledge), you are basically staying if you have no experience about the job you can't criticize or your criticism means jacksht since you have no experience. Does that mean we can't criticize politicians for screwing us over because we never had the experience or we don't know what's truly going on? Or we can't complain about shoddy construction work because we never held a hammer? Who fking cares if BoB knows more football than all of us, if we see something doesn't look right we can complain and I am complaining about how he runs fking one run play over and over making himself too predictable and he's too conservative as fk.

It's like saying ahhh you're too stupid to understand/criticize why politicans only send out thoughts and prayers instead of doing anything, it's not that they're incompetent or don't care it's cause u never been a politicans so u r out of your league.

I don't need to have a coaching degree to complain about how shtty our coach is. We are on a winning streak, but BoB isn't making it that much easier.
    Winning a lot doesn't equal good coach.
    Example: Mchale, basically relied on harden to carry his ass into playoffs.

#3238 DatRocketFan, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

You are over reacting and going off on a tangent.

You essentially agreed with what I said in the beginning of you post.

Its very easy to criticize decision makers when you have never participated in their arena.

Sure any one has the right to criticize, i personally do a lot, but its ridiculous to assume you are smarter and more knowledgable than BoB when it comes to football.

mario_v likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I ONLY agree with your statement, Bob is more knowledgeable than all of us at football (that is true), what i don't agree with is you using it to sht on anyone who dares 2 criticize da coach. I never assumed I was smarter and more knowledgeable than BOB, but what i can do is point out what bothers me and why I think he's a sht coach. If you read my examples u will have a better understanding about my opinion, instead of just reading the first line and declare victory.

If construction workers just finished remodeling your house and it looks shtty, are you suppose to say "oh dam, it looks like sht, but im not going to complain/criticize because i don't have any knowledge in construction, and these guys are smarter than me at this."

I see Bob run da same stupid first down rush it down the middle and i complain about his stupidity. Guy admits it's not working will still do it anyways instead of changing it up.
    Offensive guru = muster 20 points a game basically, oh but don't complain he knows his craft better than us.