1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Major

Major Member

Let's not go overboard here. The Texans have losses to bad Titans team that had Blaine Gabbert and a 1-6 Giants team. Their wins are squeakers over a 2-5 Colts team that basically gave them the game in OT; a 2-4 Buffalo team playing Nathan Peterman; and an average 3-4 Dallas team, plus a legit dominant win over a 3-4 Jags team that appears to be in an offensive tailspin.

So if he has a great DC, OC, and some elite offensive and defensive talent, he can be fine as a head coach. Even though he sucks at HC things like clock management, challenges, etc which seem to be his only remaining game day duties (didn't he have to get an assistant head coach to help with him with this stuff last year because it was too much?).

The rationalizations of BoB as a functional HC is how he keeps his job and gets extensions after going 4-12. It also will prevent the Texans from ever getting truly good.

(EDIT: the rationalization last offseason was that his offensive mind was needed for Watson because they had so much success/etc. Now we're suggesting he needs an independent OC - so then why'd we keep BoB?)

#2921 Major, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Kim, Xenon, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans have a very good, perhaps dominant, defense and, if healthy, a dynamic QB who can team with an elite playmaker. Teams have won with much less. And the AFC is not very good. If the Texans win their next two - both winnable - they'll (likely) be favored in 5 of their 7 remaining games.

The path to 10, 11 wins is taking shape. And if they get there, then I think we'd all take our chances with (a healthy) Watson in the postseason.

The hope would be he could elevate those other aspects if we removed a large chunk of his responsibilities.

Look, I'm no fan of O'Brien's; I think the team is terribly *coached* - their fundamentals are terrible and they make too many mistakes. BUT..... the players obviously *really* like him, they play hard for him, and Watson appears to be a fan - and let's not kid ourselves, keeping that guy happy is important. So... if BOB proves too difficult to move - money, player loyalty, etc. - then bringing in a Wade Phillips-like offensive savior would be significantly better than the current status quo.

3. Major

Major Member

I agree the Texans could win 10-11 games (I think they are more likely at 9, but still good enough to win the division). But I think it's a result of an absurdly easy schedule rather than anything else. AFC East + 4th place schedule + our terrible division + NFC East is basically the easiest schedule you can get. I think they get obliterated in the postseason by the big 2, and lose comfortably to teams like the Ravens/Steelers/Chargers. Hopefully I'm wrong.

(on a side note, I think the Colts will actually be their biggest competition for the division by the end of the season, thanks to Andrew Luck.)

I think we're on the same page about BoB's abilities. But I think it's dangerous to keep a coach because a player likes him if that coach puts an artificial ceiling on the team due to his inherent shortcomings. Most players like their coaches - they develop a bond, and even more so for rookies who have no comparison point. I think Watson would quickly learn to like a coach that brings actual skills to the table and wins. That said, it would be important to get an offensive coach that is committed to trying to maximize Watson's unique skills (ie, not a Jeff Fisher I-hate-QB's type and not a coach with primarily a defensive background).

Presumably, Watson defends BoB because (1) he seems like a pretty PC guy and isn't going to rock the boat and (2) the offensive playcalling last year. #1 is meaningless (and just a guess) but #2 goes away if you get an independent OC anyway. If anything, your best solution is to bring in an actual head coach and make BOB the OC/playcaller, which he actually can be good at. That's what worked best last year when he had Romeo taking on other duties so he could focus on the offense. Obviously not really practical, but if you want to keep BoB and not disturb Watson, that seems the most effective way to do it.

4. Hey Now!

They're obviously not going to beat the Patriots in Foxboro. And they probably aren't going to beat the Chiefs, either - but that's exactly what everyone said last year about the Titans. Reid has a fairly long, distinguished history of postseason underachievement.

As for the Ravens/Steelers/Chargers - again, my assumption is Watson is healthy. If he is, we have a QB advantage in 2 of those match-ups (perhaps against the Chiefs, too) and, like the Chiefs, the Chargers have a tendency to flop in the postseason. I mean, we all think BOB is limited? Anthony Lynn's not setting any fire to head coaching circles.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I just went to look at the standings.

Man, the AFC is horrible.

I guess the Texans could end up the 3rd seed playing a Bengals, Ravens, Dolphins, Jags or Broncos at home in a wild card game.

Win that one and it's another GREAT season for good ole B'ob!!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. plates300

plates300 Member

Reid does have a pretty crummy post season history but something feels different this time - no more conservative play calling because you have Alex Smith. The Chargers have been the up and coming playoff contender for years only to fall flat on their faces every single time.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Only thing that’s been holding the chargers back is a kicker lol should’ve been a top team in the league last season. I believe a 5-0 start if not for kicking blunders.

8. plates300

plates300 Member

Their achilles heel has been special teams/kicking forever now, or so it seems. Although the Texans say hello in that department.

9. Hey Now!

There was nothing conservative about last year's Chiefs' team - they threw the ball all over the field.

Nimo likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not impressed with their current 6-1 record. Until he proves us wrong, I'm expecting Reid's team to fall off down the stretch.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

Yeah, I mean... all this fawning over Mahomes - yes: he's been great. Reminds me of... oh, that's right: 2017 Deshaun Watson.

The Chiefs have better weapons. But I'm not ready to declare Mahomes is better than a *healthy* Deshaun Watson.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That would be a great season.
    To be the first team since 1998 to make the playoffs.
    To win the first playoff game at home and come one more game before the afc championship game especially if it’s a close one.
    To accomplish all of that with the way we started the season and to climb ourselves out of the hole would be something.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He’s not better imo. Give me Watson over Mahomes everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Or Nick Foles.

Same here. In a matchup against the Texans I would be worried about Tyreek Hill and usual suspect Travis Kelce. If Watson heals up during the bye, he would be a problem for them. The Texans offense is kicking if defenses know he can take off on his feet at any time.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

and then there's this

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

Mahomes is good but I think he’s kinda overrated. He’s just in the perfect situation. Great rb, great oline, wr, te.

You put Watson in that offense, with all those weapons and he would be putting up similar numbers to Mahomes, we know this because he did it last year with a less talent around him.

The same can’t be said about Mahomes if he was on the Texans.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This thread bout to be damn ass quiet.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Couldn't resist huh? Well here you go:

8 penalties. Gotta clean that up.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

First time in a long time.