1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't want to bash Kubiak here, but he almost cost the Broncos that Superbowl by repeating his same game management mistakes that he made in Houston.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Top 10 OL, Arian Foster, DeAndre Hopkins, Schaub, Owen Daniels. Made backups like Ben Tate looked like stars at some points. He found talent so easily it seemed. Just about every year the offense was good.

After he left, made the Ravens into a top offense and made Forsett look like a pro bowler in 1 year.

Then wins a Super Bowl as HC in Denver with some of the worst QBs in the league.

It's weird that people are so hyper critical of Kubiak but think O'Brien is an awesome coach because Watson is a good player.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kubiak was rightfully fired because he lost the locker room, but he's 10 times the coach BOB could ever hope to be. BOB came in with people calling him an offensive guru and that has proven to be laughable, well Kubiak really is that offensive guru. Give both coaches the same team to work with and Kubiak gets an extra TD a game over what BOB could do.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

RAC was still there, and if you think that is all BOB lost this season with this team then there is no point arguing with you. Name one single other coach not hoodie that could have handled losing almost half the starters and dealing with an Oline made by Smith.. or did BOB make that oline too? I can't keep up with what is or isnt the coach and GM anymore with you guys. it's whatever is bad is BOBs fault right?

texian likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody is saying O'Brien is an awesome coach.... but to say he deserves zero credit for how Watson played or how the team did is very hypocritical.

Context is everything when it comes to Kubiak... he was great at cultivating a line and getting a running game. Very poor at making game to game adjustments, and even the staunchest of supporters would admit that he was running the same thing every game... and if a team found a way to stop it, they were neutralized.

They won the SB in Denver despite the QB's, not because of them.

Joshfast, texian and houstonstime like this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yes. I don't think BOB is God's gift to coaching, just can't stand some of the hypocrisy on here. So Kubiak won with terrible QBs because he is awesome, nothing to do with Wade or that defense. Yet BOB won with terrible qbs and it was because weak division and RAC and that defense.
    Smith and Kubiak drafted every awesome player. BOB got us all the bad ones both in draft and FA. OK.

texian likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

The roster under Kubiak was solid and deep and the offense was almost always great.

Exact opposite for OBrien.

Pretty clear imo.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

For 6 weeks, the roster was great and the offense was the BEST it has ever been in Texans history. But under BOB its only because of the talent (which you will say he had no part in getting) and under Kubiak its because of Kubiak and he got all the talent on the team. hy·poc·ri·sy

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I love those solid and deep rosters of 2-14 teams. Aren’t those the best? Even this injury-ravaged team couldn’t pull that off.

10. Mr. Clutch

6 games in 4 years

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone believes BoB is the only problem.

He could've won more games this year if not for poor clock management though.

He's a supposed offensive juggernaut, but his offensives and QB development/evaluation, save Watson, all suck.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair, but the comparisons to Kubiak dont seem fair. Schaub was better than anyone BOB has ever had and so was Manning in at least one of the years. But if you give Kubiak credit for Hopkins, and Schaub and personnel like that then BOB should get credit for Watson. It's weird how you only count one way. And we are all holding BOB over the coals for those TWO end of game issues but no one mentions that if he had done what they said like go for it on 4th and 1 and not gotten it that we would all be roasting him for that too. This hindsight crap is ridiculous. And are we saying Kubiak never had a single clock management issue? Jesus if we cherry pick I bet every coach sucks.

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The offense under Watson/O’Brien was scorching and improving. Yes, O’Brien cost lost games with weird playcalling and clock management. But i feel the biggest letdown was the defense. Losing Bouye has set the defense back with our best DB being in the twilight of his career and our future being a regressing, injury-prone Kevin Johnson. Watt and Merci going down didn’t help either. 2 of our 3 best pass rushers. We had to rely on the pass rush to compensate the loss of last year’s best DB.

Let’s look forward to this:
    Watson back
    Mercellus back
    Watt back
    Young linebackers building on a good year (Cunningham and Cole)
    ~$58 million in cap space?

We have to improve the line and secondary. Need a tight end in the worst way. What we have could be serviceable, but they can’t stay healthy.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

TE is the least of our problems. We should buy out or force fedorowitz to retire. One FA cornerback, move watt inside and turn Clowney and Mercilus lose on the outside. We need at least one if not two FA OL. Don't know if they are available. All avenues should be explored including trades for Tackles. I still think Jackson would make a good safety and Joseph is serviceable at a reasonable salary.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Anyone want to argue about the responsibility of a coach in clock management is just as laughable as BOB said : I don’t want to hear anyone b****ing about it.

When the offense sucks, it could be the QB, the line, WR dropping, RB tripping, coaches sucking.

Same as for the defense, you can’t just blame how pathetic our secondary was when the front line can’t even tackle proper or making mental offside mistakes or committing stupid fouls.

But when it comes to to the clock, that’s the only forking job of your forking head coach and there is no one else to blame.

The clock management job for a coach can not be more clear : this is the only area that you are suppose to help your team to win, but not cost the team to lose, so don’t fork it up.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/bob-mcnair-plans-to-hire-new-texans-gm-later-this-month

Meanwhile, very high on Bob McNair's radar is signing O'Brien to a long-term extension.

O'Brien is going into the final year of his contract.

"We're going to address that right after we deal with hiring the GM," Bob McNair said. "I think that we'll work something out that we're all happy with.

"It just provides a stable environment for everybody if they know exactly what they're dealing with. We aren't just going to leave it hanging.

"I think he's good at developing players, and I think he's a good strategist. I think his concepts are sound, and he constantly wants to improve his coaching staff. That's why we're making some changes there."

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Nailed it. The recent Clemson/ Bama game confirmed that Watson is simply a special talent. Bryant with the same coach going against the same NFL caliber defense could not do a third of what Watson did to Alabama.

I guess Obie got to stay because he was genius enough to introduce misdirection to the playbook.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Deshaun Watson will make Bill Obrien the great coach he was meant to be.

19. raining threes

Until Kubiak goes conservative and gives back 10 pts late in the 4th qtr.

20. raining threes

Hopefully