1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire at TN Mosque site: Islamophobia still not a problem according to some idiots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Every time I hear the anti-mosque types say that it's an issue of sensitivity, I keep wondering if they really believe it and don't realize who they are aligning themselves with and who they are emboldening, or if they are just full of crap. Anyways, TN couldn't be further away from Ground Zero and yet the same type of bigots still don't want a mosque there. Now the escalation begins:

The Daily Show had just done a story on it:

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'<a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-25-2010/tennessee-no-evil'>Tennessee No Evil<a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:351525' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos/tag/Tea+Party'>Tea Party</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I really hate stories like this because this just feeds into an image people around the world are told how Americans are. Sad, just sad.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I will never understand the South and why some of its inhabitants feel the need to continue to perpetuate bigotry and hatred under the guise of "heritage".

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You better believe the television networks are pumping this stuff into the Middle East like crazy.

As a person who once considered moving to the US to escape discrimination based on religion and race, I must say I've been very disappointed with the recent reactions. They seem to be of a far larger scale than I would have expected.

I understand the political and social dynamics behind it, but it's still disappointing to see this.

When churches got built in the United Arab Emirates - a country which claims to function under Sharia law - there was absolutely no uproar, certainly nothing significant.

5. showtang043

showtang043 Member

South, the same sort of protesters and mindset have been at the rallies in NYC, to some its about sensitivity, but if you have read and seen the message at the rally its more anti-islam than about respect to ground zero over there, very similar to this.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

being Islamophobic alone does not make someone a bigot (using violence, liek in this case, obviously does). the South is fairly Islamophobic (rightfully so since it's a horrible belief system), but that doesn't mean they are bigots. Bigotry exists all over and always has; for example: Tea Parties recieving death threats

7. Major

Major Member

:confused:

Definition of Islamophobia: The fear or hatred of Islam or Muslims

Definition of Bigot: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Are you saying uae is more accepting of religion than America?

This is sec country we are talking about.

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

No offense, but your arguments routinely make little sense and get refuted easily.

I think what you're trying to say is that in your opinion, being bigoted is not a problem so long as it doesnt affect ones actions. So in your opinion, its okay to hate black people so long as you dont institute jim crow/any other prejudicial measures (the logic is exactly the same).

In this case, your saying its okay to hate Muslims (ie, be a bigot) so long as you dont manifest that bigotry in the form of violence/prejudicial actions against them or their communities. I dont agree, but its your opinion, so be it.

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

*actually a better parallel would be antisemitism as Judaism is a belief system whereas being Black is a race.

11. tallanvor

A bigot is someone who is not tolerant of a religion, political stance, or other such views. You can be tolerant of something and fear it (thus Islamophobia). For example, what would you do if some white supremacists moved in next door? You seem to define bigotry as not liking a belief system or finding it offenseive. Which is not the definition of bigotry. I have nor would I ever say I hate Muslims or Black people. I love everyone.

12. tallanvor

Wrong.

Definition of Islamophobia: The fear or hatred of Islam.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

So Islam is a horrible belief system according to you?

Oh, do elaborate.

14. tallanvor

I am an American. I love my American freedoms. My children and I would not have those in an Islamic society. Thus, it is a threat to me. This does not mean I am intolerant of it. I would never deny any Muslim their freedom to religion.

15. Major

Major Member

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/islamophobia

hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture

prejudice against Muslims;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia

Islamophobia is prejudice against Islam or Muslims.

http://www.translationdirectory.com/glossaries/glossary007_i.htm

Fear of Muslims, hatred of Muslims, or a desire to limit the civil liberties of Muslims. This word corresponds to sexism, racism, homophobia, and xenophobia in areas related to gender, race, sexual orientation and nationality

http://www.fearsandphobias.com.au/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

fear or dislike of Muslims or Islamic culture

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/islamophobia

hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I guess it goes back to how you define Islamophobia. Islamophobia is typically defined as prejudice against Islam or Muslims, but if your referring to simply fearing Islam/Muslims, then as I said before, so be it.

I never defined bigotry as not liking a belief system or finding it offensive. Provide proof. I said hating Muslims would be bigoted, which you said you would never say or think, so whats the problem?

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Being afraid of something that is different from you doesn't always qualify as intolerance.

Feeling threatened by something different from you qualifies as ignorance and the reactions borne out of said ignorance can only be described as bigotry and hatred.

Just as the southern, white lower class cling to their hatred of different races and creeds. It all boils down to power. Everything does. Politics, sex, religion. We crave power above all else, and those who hold the smallest amounts of power are the ones who will do anything to hold onto it.

Just ask anyone who has ever worked at a retail store and had to deal with lower management types. One small taste is too intoxicating.

18. tallanvor

Islamophobia isn't an official word in the English language (It is not in Webster). It's slang. So online dictionaries don't mean much to me.

To me it is pretty simple. phobia - meaning "fear of" and the first half of the word "Islam".

If the poster I originally replied to meant your definition of Islamophobia, then I retract my comment to him.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I thought you said you knew little about Islam, right?

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Great post, agree with you 100%. What should we do to counter this horrible belief system? They are taking over everything like in Europe, spreading as wildfire does, looking to take away my freedoms.