1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fifth Place Best We can Expect

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bobby60, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

About the absolute best we can hope for this season is Fifth Place in the NL Central. And we'd better be looking over our shoulders at the Cubbies!

Major changes coming this winter. A lot more cash to spend with Bagwell, Clemens, and (likely) Pettitte gone. Maybe we can dispose of Springer, Qualls, and Lidge as well - unless we are wiling to pay big bucks for treatment of thier head cases :rolleyes: .

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I don't expect we'll end up having much cash to spend to get new players. Yea, Bagwell, Clemens, and probably Pettite will be off the books, but Drayton has already said the payroll is gonna come down a good bit. Also, some of our existing players are going to be due raises. And we had better try to hold on to Qualls, Lidge, and Springer. We would be better off getting rid of some people like Ensberg, Everett, and Ausmus.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Top 10 draft pick, W00T! :rolleyes:

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

And we won't even try to sign the top 2 bats on the free agent market since they're both Boras clients.

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

If Clemens and Pettitte retire, and Bagwell is off the books, on paper that is alot of freed up money. However, McLane only opened the purse strings to contend, with said players gone and the status of Lidge and Biggio up in the air, the Astros may very well sign no one of major significance. I say this because Purpura is big on building through the farm system.

Off the top of my head: Oswalt, Backe, Hirsh, Sampson and maybe Nieve will be the starting rotation. If Huff can't be resigned for a reasonable (Astros' standard of reasonable) contract, then he's gone. Lane needs to go, never have I seen a player given so many chances and at his age, he isn't going to get better. So that should make the roster look something like this:

Line-up
    CF- Taveras
    2B- Biggio
    1B- Berkman
    3B- Ensberg
    LF- Burke or Lane
    RF- Scott
    C- Ausmus
    SS- Everett

Bench
    1B/3B/OF - Lamb
    PH- TBD (I doubt Palmeiro is retained)

Starters
    Oswalt
    Backe
    Hirsh
    Sampson
    Nieve (?)

Relievers
    Dave Borkowski
    Brad Lidge
    Trever Miller
    Chad Qualls
    Wandy Rodriguez (will probably be in the minors)
    Russ Springer
    Dan Wheeler
    (One more arm will probably be brought up or acquired during the offseason)

Hopefully there is a chance that Pence comes up and that Pettitte resigns for substantially less money.

Its sad we're talking about the offseason, but unless they really turn it around the Astros will be watching the post season at home.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ausmus will be gone too, and Biggio will only play full time until he gets his 3000 hit, sometime in May/June.

DD

7. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Ausmus is signed through next season.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I can see Ausmus taking a reduced role next year. I would really expect Pettitte to come back, and he'd catch him for sure and probably Oswalt. But I'd be suprised if House doesn't catch most of the rest of the games. The only kicker would be if the Astros sign a big name pitcher and promise him Ausmus as a battery mate.