1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets want Melo off the bench, may sign with Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. mockster

mockster Member

Thicc

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well I'm eh Melo so don't worry about me.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I'm glad they didn't call them experts.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Their just attention seekers

5. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Gonna pop some tags

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like the few who aren't out of their cotton pickin minds.

7. hakeemthagreat

A lot of the Anti-Melo posters somehow think Zhou Qi will flourish in the role Melo gets, that says IT ALL about how they think

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thank you very much. This is the first time I am called "kid" on this board. :D

Deckard likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's usually where I come in, but clearly I've been slacking.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Fat Melo 4 Lyfe

11. mockster

mockster Member

Thunder delaying this hardcore cuz they hella mad we’re gonna get him and their melo experiment fell apart

adw, Deckard, PatBev and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I hate you so much lmao

Zboy likes this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I feel this year will be Melo's revival year. After leaving NY, he was bound to have a transition year (Which he did) trying to figure out a new role for him where he wasn't the go-to guy every play. If Houston would have picked him up last year I feel he would have had that transition year with us as well. Now, I feel he is better prepared to play a third option role.

People will be surprised by how well Melo assimilates into the Rockets easy schemes. Once he realizes that he can rest on offense as a spot up shooter but still turn it on when he's the man on the floor (especially with Paul feeding him on the block for easy shots), he will gladly push it on defense knowing the switching will still allow him to recover and he's not left on an island.

Melo has a ton to prove this year, not for a long contract anymore but for longevity as a role player. His only shot at winning a ring or even going deep in a playoff run is to do what countless other vets have done in the past- reinvent himself. Putting ego aside, I believe he will come to terms with being the man off the bench if need be during this season. Even if he is the starter the whole way (which I doubt he would be as I could see mid season he is brought in off the bench at times), he will benefit greatly by being the best role player in the league. If MDA can convince him that he could be the 6th man of the year and that is an honor then it may benefit the Rockets even more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him have one of his best defensive years in quite some time and still score around 18+ Harden may not sacrifice his paycheck, but I could see him sacrificing some scoring to make this a complete team where everyone is happy.

Harden- 28.5 ppg
    Paul- 18.0 ppg
    Melo- 18.0 ppg
    Gordon- 16.0 ppg
    Capela- 13.0 ppg

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with the premise . But I'm just not sure melo has it defensively. He can hustle all he wants , but if his lateral quickness is slipping then it may not matter .

I do think Melo is probably underrated in terms of defensive IQ ; you don't spend 10+ years in the league and not pick up a good understanding of the game . It's simply going to be a matter of if the effort and physical tools are still there .

I think Melton/ MCW gives us solid guard depth and so I see us playing Gordon , CP3, and Harden together more this year . So Melo's minutes will likely be at the 4 .

Even so , I would like to see him trade some size to gain some quickness back ( if possible )

I think that if we do get melo our potential this year will be higher than last season . Especially given we might be able to get someone (like bazemore) for Anderson . I have a feeling we are gonna push the Dantoni's system to its limits and play super small and up tempo this year . Our depth isn't proven , so we need to give Guys like Melton , ennis , MCW , and qi/hartenstein so good run during the regular season to see if they can't develop .

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Getting him for diddly-squat, which must burn their butts.

Just wanted to say that I appreciated the post. I don't agree with some of it, and you might be wildly optimistic here and there, but nice job.

#416 Deckard, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    mockster, MarioKissoDeath and Plowman like this.
  17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree with your vision for Melo in principle, but unfortunately I believe Melo is one of the last players in the league with the humility to be able to accept and adjust to that vision. He just strikes me as incredibly narcissistic.

18. Stepping Razor

Russell Westbrook agrees

19. dmoneybangbang

If we get Melo, then it means him and CP3 (and by extension the Rockets) have an understanding of his role.....

Everyone should be thrilled we get him or be thrilled he signs somewhere else to get that money and not come off the bench/be a team player.

heypartner and jayfree like this.
  20. jayfree

jayfree Member

If we DON'T get Melo, then it also means him and CP3 have an understanding of his role..... ;)

dmoneybangbang likes this.