1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Feigen: Rockets hopes for lebron haven’t changed (Plus team info)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Coach E

Coach E Member

I agree with you that it’s very unlikely, but if the lakers can shed Deng in the process...

I don’t think any NBA team would be stupid enough to help facilitate this, and would be probably the biggest one sided trade of all time

But that would be a benefit for LA.
    Again I would say this is impossible and would probably quit watching the NBA if this happens.

2. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

If Lebron opt-in it could only mean two things. Cavs or Rockets.

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The fact that he still hasn't opt out is a great news for the Rockets.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

While its entirely possible CP3 leaves , all signs point to his return …. and with the reports that a 4 year deal is possible , the tail end isn't so bad.

What really sucks is that I'm old enough to remember …. Lost In Space …. Danger Will Robinson!.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Adding Deng into the deal makes it exponentially harder. Why would LA do that?

Cleveland certainly isnt going to take Deng so he would have to go to a third team. If you found a team to take him then you simply do that deal as a stand alone trade and outright sign Lebron.

There's no benefit to Lebron or the lakers if he opts in.

6. Coach E

Coach E Member

The benefit for lebron is they have more space to add players

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It only makes sense for them if Cleveland is willing to take back Deng's contract for some draft picks. They could roll up a deal that brings back Korver and Lebron for Deng, filler and picks. They work that right and then they don't need to renounce Randle to sign Paul George. Fold that into a three team and then Cleveland is under the tax, For the Lakers it lets them add a bench option that they wouldn't otherwise be able to get in free agency.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not necessarily Lebron doing Gilbert a favor. He could simply want to do the city of CLE a favor. He can force LAL to do a opt-in and trade, if he wants. LA will have zero say in the matter. They aren't turning down Lebron just because they have to fork over a 1st...and Lebron won't care about what he will view as a very late FRP.

CLE also gets the Worlds's Largest TPE Ever....which doesn't hurt LAL at all.

I would say no one else in the league would do a team a favor, except for possibly the King wanting to be remembered foundly by The Land....his homeland ... just to control the narrative of his 2nd Exit.

Le Brexit.

9. justtxyank

Lebron isn't going to do an opt-in and trade to try to help Cleveland be real. He and the Lakers might try to do it in this hypothetical because it's good for the Lakers and potentially beneficial to Cleveland as well.

Three team deal where Deng goes to Atlanta with a pick
    Korver and Lebron go to Lakers
    Ennis and a pick to Cleveland

Cleveland is under the tax dumps a bad contract, gets a pick (even if protected or multiple seconds)
    Lakers get Korver and have enough room to keep Randle and sign a free agent
    Atlanta gets a pick

10. heypartner

There is no benefit if Lebron opts-in to get immediately traded....aside from a possibly slight desire to control the narrative of his 2nd Exit to get his Land something (however minor) back.

But there are a legit benefits for Lebron to opt-in without a trade in place to keep all his suitor options alive.

and fwiw: Also keep in mind that an Sign n Trade (vs Opt-in and Trade) could allow Lebron to get a new No-Trade clause. Bima and I have discussed, and we cannot rule out legality of a No-Trade Clause be allowed in an SnT, based upon wording of CBA wrt SnTs.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. aelliott

I was replying to a quote that said that Lebron would likely opt in and be traded to the Lakers. That makes no sense.

You are correct that an opt-in keeps teams like Houston in play but that wasn't the context of the comment that I was replying to.

12. aelliott

No way Cleveland takes on Deng's deal. Even without Lebron they'd still be over the luxury line so that deal would cost them a ton. Any first rounder that LA sends back would be a low 1st rounder which you can just purchase for $4M or so.

LA would still have to renounce Randle in order to sign George. With Korver's contract added to Lebron's they still wouldn't have enough space to sign George.

It makes no sense from LA's perspective.

13. heypartner

makes sense to me, unless we're talking about CLE getting back one of the Lakers young players back. That makes no sense. Also agree that the Deng talk makes zero sense.

If I'm Lebron, I force an Opt-in and Trade to get my homeland something (however minor) in return, so I can control the narrative of my exit. But, then I ask myself, why do this all at once....I'll just Opt-in and wait -- give everyone more time.

14. aelliott

How does Lebron opting in create more space?

Lebron actually counts slightly more against the Laker's cap in an opt-in scenario. It doesn't free up any space, it actually costs you a small amount.

15. aelliott

So, instead of just signing Lebron and giving up nothing, the Lakers are instead going to do a trade so that they can give up Ingram or Kuzma? How does that make any sense? Why would Lebron want to weaken an alrady depleated Lakers roster?

16. heypartner

Hey, you don't own rights to call things likely and unlikely, anymore than Bobbythegreat does. You can get annoying that way. You know that right?

Using your posting techniques: I'll say (with honest belief) that it is more likely Lebron Opts-in for minor trade to control his Exit narrative, than that really bad Deng deal you think CLE or a 3rd party would bother with.

And it is even much more likely Lebron opts-in with no trade in place yet (and still going to LA), than that Deng deal.

17. heypartner

re-read my post. I did not say Ingram or Kuzma. I actually said that wouldn't make sense at all.

btw: It doesn't make sense because Lebron wouldn't want to force his new team to part with young players. The reason it doesn't make sense has zero to do with whether LAL would balk at trading for Lebron, if forced to.

18. justtxyank

Route Deng to the third team, same as Rockets need to do with Ryno except he's cheaper.

Lakers would get enough cap room to keep Randle if George took a small discount. Wouldn't have to be much. Cavs would be under the luxury tax with room to spare in this scenario after dumping Lebron and Korver and they get a pick out of it.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

aelliott, you the real MVP! :D

20. justtxyank

I'm sorry I've annoyed you man, put me on ignore. I'll go ahead and refrain from responding to you. I didn't realize I bothered you.

It's unrealistic to think he'll opt in to be nice to Cleveland. If you think me saying that is the same as someone saying "if Lebron goes to the Lakers he's throwing his career away" then so be it.