1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets consider amnestying Scola, as talks with the Magic grow "serious"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The only thing that has concerned me about the Houston Rockets the last few years is Les Alexander's guiding hand, and what restrictions he imposes on the team as far as future direction is concerned. I've been encouraged by the recent pursuit of cap space and picks and know well they have remained focused on Dwight Howard.

But, I think IF the Rockets are actually willing to amnesty Scola (we'll see) and take back bad contracts to get Dwight, it further reinforces two things to me:

1) Les Alexander is willing to pony up the dough to win, something that should be applauded.
    2) Les Alexander isn't willing to lose, something that should be feared.

I put chances of rebuilding (meaning going young, picking up a great pick of our own) this year at less than zero. Can't see him doing it.

Translation: We better get Howard.

2. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Couldn't this news have waited til morning? I'm in insomnia refresh mode.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

We are but grasshoppers in their sight!

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Translation on Clutch's translation: if we don't get Howard, Les will make Morey use the rebuilding Lowry for Toronto pick on someone else rather than keeping it.
    :(

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Could very well be......i am not a proponent of trying to get better while being mediocre like we have been either.

I am all in on HOWARD.......just hope we don't have to take Hedo's contract back.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we actually amnesty Scola to do a direct two team trade with Orlando, you can probably place a safe bet that Turkoglu will be on a plane to Houston. In my opinion, anyway. I can live with that, depending on what else is in the deal. If we take on the bulk of Orlando's bad contracts, but keep more of our young talent, and perhaps one or both of the Knicks' 2nd round picks, for example.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

cant we trade scola to a team with capspace and get a 1st rounder out of it? man, i am so sure there are teams out there with capspace that we can send scola to and having scola make a meaningful contribution there. blazers? pacers? toronto? man, I cant freaking believe we are amnesty this premier post player!!!

8. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Haha exactly. Also, i got nothing done at work today.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would change that to "Howard or Bynum", but either of those would essentially depend on Orlando agreeing to accept our package of prospects/picks.

It's a little scary that all our eggs are pretty much in one basket that way. I hope Morey knows what he's doing.

10. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

The fact that we are on the verge of this even though we came up short of moving into the top 10 of the draft proves that Morey knows what he is doing. The dude is like the honey badger, relentless.

11. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amnesty Scola.

Trade Martin, Harrelson, Toronto pick, Houston 1st, Dallas 1st, NYK 2nd, Morris, Jones for Howard, Turk, JRich

Does this trade work? Do we say no?

Brooks / Machado
    Lee / Lamb
    Parsons / White
    Patterson / White
    Howard / Montiejunas

Good team? Contender? I say it is if Motie, White and Lamb pan out.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Instinctively I'm only 50/50 on it getting done. Let's hope so.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

So the Rockets basically become the Orlando Magic with rookies?

14. Possum

Possum Member

I would be happy as hell with that. You never know how young guys are going to turn out but I really like Parsons, DMo, White and Lambs chances of becoming solid players. If just one of them live up to their potential we will be sitting pretty in this scenario.

15. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

Say we get Dwight Howard and he decides to bolt after the season. He will be bolting via a S&T deal, so we will not be getting nothing for him. We will get a package comparable to what we gave up to get him, and whatever young, growing players we have remaining on the squad will be one year more developed than they were when we got DH12. It is not the end of the world if we get him and he leaves after one year. I personally think he will resign if we get him. Too much $ he would be leaving on the table. He is shallow and after the $ and fame. Neither NY team can sign him, Lakers, Heat, Clips are up up against the cap too. Mavs are aging rapidly and without DWill are no longer appealing to Dwight. His options are growing more limited by the day. He will stay in Houston if we make the trade. TRUST

16. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Fixed.

17. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Fair enough. Based on reports it seems like it got close to getting done today before they backed off. Also, when we didn't get the 5th pick, people thought we had no chance at Dwight.

Morey is like inception. He is weaving multiple scenarios that we can't comprehend...he is mind boning the league

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

QFT. aelliott in on the (very) short list of most knowledgeable posters on this BBS, particularly about cap issues.

If aelliott posts it, it's money pretty much 99.999% of the time.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't believe we are considering amnestying Scola. Bima's post about timing our offer sheets makes a lot of sense. In any case, Luis Scola is still a quality player in the league and I'd be surprised if we couldn't ship him off to a team for a first rounder.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Why can't we amniesty Martin 12 million a year?

Or maybe is a part in the trade?