1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Isaiah Hartenstein "seems to have a decisive lead" over Zhou and Chriss as the backup C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 27, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, Zhou's been out with a sprained ankle.

fwiw: Here's Harden talking about that extra 10-minutes he requested to play, mentioned in the article.

#2 heypartner, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    gatsby, cbs1507, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

not that surprised tbh. Zhou isn't a center and I've never liked Chriss... like at all.

T. Will tha Don likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Zhou isn’t ready for rotation minutes, and Chriss is clueless

amaru likes this.
  4. theimpossibles1

In 10 years the name will change to Hartenstain and all records of Hartenstein will vanish.

5. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Makes sense. Hartenstein has more bulk, plays with more energy, better rebounder, & sets way better picks. He's a better option as the traditional 5 man.

Zhou only plus over Hartenstein is IF he can stretch the floor as the stretch 4 or stretch 5. If he continues to shoot the 3 well then he could get some minutes. Shot blocking is nice but doesn't outweigh being only a average rebounder and does not set the greatest picks.

Chriss from what I saw in limited games in PHX, I don't think he has the bulk to play the traditional 5 nor can't shoot the ball from outside well enough to be a stretch 4 or 5.

amaru likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a massive plus, though. And you left out that Zhou could be the more disruptive defender.

btw: more accurate thread title (imo) is "Zhou's injury gives Hartenstein a head start for backup role."

The thread title edits out Feigen's full report: Feigen reports Zhou Qi is still nursing an ankle sprain and hasn't participated. That's why Isaiah is getting the early burn.

"For now, Hartenstein seems to have a decisive lead. Zhou has been out with a sprained ankle, giving Hartenstein a head start. " Feigen

#7 heypartner, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    BigMaloe, D-rock, Handles and 3 others like this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Increasing that trade value.

#8 xtruroyaltyx, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm unconvinced that Hartenstein has more upside than Zhou, Chriss or Caboclo.

What he does seem to have, though, is a more aggressive style of play.

I think I'm okay with him being on this year's squad as backup C, since we're going all-in and that aggressiveness will mean something. Of the other three, whoever fails to show enough in camp can spend the year with the Vipers developing that upside for future seasons.

D-rock, Red Chocolate and Little Bit like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Might be fake news. Sounds like both Zhou and Chriss were injured yesterday which gave the impression that Isaiah was in the lead. I don't mind though. Cautiously optimistic that one of Isaiah or Chriss will be good enough to take the back up spot. Both 20-21 years old so Rockets in a good place if that happens. Zhou I'm much more skeptical. He has an NBA body type and even skill set, but outside of Yao, the CBA has failed to produce players with basketball feel and temperament. Plus he might be 25 or 26 years old.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Intriguing thing about Feigan's article is the idea of Ennis as a starter because he functions better as a corner shooter on offense, whereas Gordon needs to also get looks from up top. This starting lineup isn't the worst:

CP3
    Harden
    Ennis
    Tucker
    Capela

It's basically what we had last year, with Ariza's experience replaced by Ennis's motor. Obviously not our BEST five players, but a solid enough lineup to get a lead against all but the best teams, and to play those elite teams to a draw.

Then... THEN...

Our "bench" team looks like this:

MCW (maybe Knight eventually)
    EG
    Gerald
    Melo
    Whoever

Sure, it's not the NHL were you sub in everyone at the same time, but THAT BENCH. Three quality shooters to allow MCW to function as a pass-first PG. The two guards are both quality defenders, and if the opponents go off on our forwards, you bring Ennis back in for Gerald.

Just thinking out loud here. Don't torch me, you f%$ers. :)

D-rock, da_juice and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah.

I didn't think Hartenstein was anything special in summer league .

Not having Zhou there is obviously why Hartenstein has the lead.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Isaiah has good feel for the game, product of being raised and coached by pro basketball father. He also isn't soft and should be a plus defensively. Also developing 3 point shot. Biggest question mark is lateral foot speed since thats so important to the Rockets defensive scheme.

BigMaloe, Voltik, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Would make sense. His build, skill set, and athleticism fit best for the Capela type of role as a "roll to the rim" center.

Zhou won't suck in the defense rolling to the rim, and I don't really know enough about Chriss but doesn't strike me as quite long & tall enough to be as much of a threat.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Is this guy tradable? Morey and D’antoni love Zhou. Hyping up IH for other reasons.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  15. esketit

esketit Member

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Our coach is Dan Tony. He wont actually play any big other yhan Capela.

JayGoogle and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

AKA, employing Murray's patented De'Anthony Melton Reputation-Enhancement Strategy™.

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

[​IMG]

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The years of practicing with James will either turn him into a monster, Hardenstein, or into a scrub, Hardenstain.

tinman likes this.