1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] How Rockets could get better quickly after lockout ends

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/nba/2011/11/i...g-shot-way-for-new-rules-to-help-the-rockets/

In honor of lost opening night, a long shot way for new rules to help the Rockets

Looking around, I’m pretty sure this isn’t Salt Lake City.

About now, we should be getting ready for the season openers.

The Mavericks should be getting rings and raising a banner. The Bulls should be putting the reigning MVP on the floor. Barkley bellowing about something.

Instead of Hunter versus Stern, we should be getting Durant versus Kobe. And the Rockets should be putting a re-tooled roster and a new coach to the test against an old rival.

By now we should have had, among other things, a free agency period that left at least a few teams expecting better times ahead, a surprising trade or two and the usual rise of anticipation leading to tonight’s openers.

Instead, the NBA and its players said they do feel great sympathy for the fans, and any workers and local businesses getting stabbed in the back over this. (They did not sound very sympathetic, however, when Billy Hunter boasted last week that players have not even lost a check, yet, and got the boost from that escrow rebate.)

By now, most that were not disinterested about the labor negotiations in the first place have long since grown sick of it. So in an effort to mark the occasion that should have been, we will for once talk hoops.

As with all things NBA these days, that involves the negotiations on the new collective bargaining agreement, but this will be a BRI free zone (other than the sentence that promised not to mention BRI. Damn, did it again.)

The changes in the CBA rules overall will not be ideal for the Rockets, but they have known that for some time.

They would have been better off with a hard cap, and not just because they believe they have the discipline to build with spending limits. A hard cap might have given Memphis pause before matching an offer to Marc Gasol. It might have kept Dallas from locking up Tyson Chandler.

Forget it. The new rules will likely be enough like the old rules to keep Gasol in Memphis. Dallas will likely find a way to keep Chandler regardless of the rules, though at $63 million tied up to just 10 players, it is possible that the rules for tax-paying teams could put the Mavericks center in play.

Revenue sharing doesn’t help the Rockets. They were one of the eight teams in the black. The provision to allow teams an amnesty cut, allowing them to jettison a player without having to count his salary against the cap or tax numbers, won’t do them any good. (And in a maddening irony, it would come after years in which they would have loved to remove a giant contract from the cap.)

The Rockets no longer have anyone making big money that they would want to lose. Worse, that provision rewards the teams that foolishly spent and got us into this mess.

Overall, the results of this process, like most things lockout related seem to exclude the Rockets, who have had few players involved in the charity games or negotiations, and whose owner, Leslie Alexander, is not on the labor relations committee.

There is one area, however, worth checking.

The Rockets likely won’t make an amnesty cut this year. Hasheem Thabeet has been mentioned as a possibility but the Rockets would still have to pay him, knew what he would be making when they traded Shane Battier’s expiring contract to get him and are already under the cap anyway. The tougher decision might be about the next season.

Other teams, however, will make amnesty cuts. The Rockets might be able to pick up a bargain.

The chances aren’t great. If players on the amnesty chopping block were so wonderful they probably would not be cut. DeSagana Diop, anyone?

Andris Biedrins could be interesting. Biedrins has fallen far short of the promise his 2007-08 season and has not played up to his contract, which has three years and $27 million left. But the Rockets were in talks about a trade for Biedrins on draft night and nearly landed him, so Daryl Morey surely would be interested, especially if he could get Biedrins on the cheap while the Warriors continue to make Biedrins very rich.

The Warriors, however, don’t need to make an amnesty cut and could prefer to wait until they do, especially with a new coach in town.

Mehmet Okur is coming off an injury. And since he has just one year left on his deal, the Jazz might not invite him to leave while they pay him $10.9 million. But the Rockets don’t have a range-shooting big man and if healthy, he would mix well with all those power forwards.

Then there could be another way to go.

The dream (and Dream like) scenario for the Rockets and most of the league would be to get in a Dwight Howard sweepstakes in the summer of 2012. The Rockets can’t offer Hollywood and seem unlikely to offer the buzz of a contender. But what if they can offer something else?

If Rashard Lewis is an amnesty cut of the Washington Wizards, he would seem a worthwhile pick up in his own right.

The second highest-paid player in the NBA, he might be able and willing to come home for the price the Rockets would offer. He could be the full-size small forward the Rockets lack. He could moonlight at power forward as he did for the Magic, bringing that range-shooting the Rockets don’t have at the position. And in the fantasy world that this is entire exercise – like tonight’s cancelled season openers – he (along with buddy and former teammate Courtney Lee) might be an enticement for Dwight Howard.

Sure it’s a giant reach, but it’s better than another discussion of exceptions for luxury tax teams while waiting for BRI to stand for basketball resumes immediately.

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

So according to Feigen the way the Rockets would get better quickly would be to sign a washed up chucker in Rashard Lewis, 2 crappy centers in Beidrens or Okur or the highly unlikely chance of getting Howard?

Great insight! :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty stupid. Rashard would be redundant. And I don't know if him and Dwight are such great buds that it would make a difference.

The way we get the deal done with Orlando is send KMart, Scola, Del Monte, picks, and contracts out, enough salary to take back Arenas and Dwight, then Orlando could cut Hedo and start over.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This makes me so angry. All of our prudence for nothing.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rockets are stuck, the new rules will benefit larger markets and instead of making it harder for the NYs of the NBA to get another superstar it helps them. If we are going to risk another FAgent class in an effort to get Howard, Paul or Williams...it might be a while before we are relevant again.

6. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Yeah, it seems like we are screwed no matter what.

Our best bet is to try to sign a guy like NeNe with max money and see if he bites. Yay mediocrity!

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Everyone knows what the Rox should HAVE done already but they chose a different course of action which wasn't a horrible choice but it was super risky and if they don't sign a superstar next summer...a disastrous one.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've said it forever and will say it again. We desperately need to tank. A top pick like Harrison Barnes can do wonders to our situation. Both in attracting a top free agent and being able to rebuild around in general.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey has said in interviews something to the effect of "all the best teams had to get very bad before they got good. Mr. Alexander does not want to go this route, but it is more difficult."

So Morey might very well think tanking (or rather unloading all talent/salary) is the way to go, but that is not his mandate.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Lowry's 3x5 is the most valuable contract on this team given his improvement and almost guaranteed to be in any and every scenario that Orlando would even consider for more than 5 seconds.

11. delishman

delishman Member

Sign Rashard. Trade for Josh Smith. Sign Courtney Lee to an extension. Make Dean Cain the new mascot.

Dwight Howard could not resist the Super-Friends team.

12. Raven

Raven Member

I've been saying this since Yao went down in the playoffs. We've wasted two years trying to build a championship roster Morey's way and it hasn't gotten us any closer.

I admire Daryl, he's a genius, perhaps too smart for his own good, and that's what I LOVE about this new twist in the CBA, it's going to force the Rockets to rebuild the traditional way, which is something that should have begun two lotteries ago.

Tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank!

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

[​IMG]

:p

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

To be quite honest, I thought the Rockets WERE tanking in 2009-10. Seriously. Our starters that year had 6-6 Hayes at center, two offensive non-entities with Battier and Ariza at wing positions, and a scoring point Brooks. That team to me seemed like a lock for about 30 wins.

Last season I thought rolling the dice with Yao was fine. I guess I'm just overly optimistic, but I thought it was worth it even if was like a 10% chance with Yao.

Going forward though, I honestly see no reason not to tank. The only way Morey can get away with it otherwise is if he somehow attract a superstar through trade. I can't see it happening. But it would be the only other road.

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Morey seems exactly like the kind of guy that wants to build through the draft. Les Alexander just isn't letting him.

So with that being said, I think Morey is making the absolute best out of the situation. He's doing exactly what needs to be done when his hands are a bit tied up. He's putting together a very good crop of role players that will keep this team in playoff contention for the time being while he tries to make that all-important move for a superstar. If that move comes along, that star will already be surrounded by good enough talent to make a deep run.

Is it an ideal situation? No, but it's the best we can hope for when the team's owner doesn't want to go through a full-blown rebuilding process.

16. cod

cod Member

Andris Biedrins, Mehmet Okur, and Rashard Lewis.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Tanking would make sense at any time for a team in our situation, but now, it's especially desirable. With a shortened season, a deep draft class, and a number of enticing free agents looking to join teams with talent, we'll never have a better opportunity.

My nightmare scenario is that we sign Nene or Marc Gasol and claw our way to a 6 seed in the West. :(

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

not sure what this means. Alexander has given Morey a lot of money to buy draft picks. And Morey has tried vigorously every year to trade up in the draft.

Do you mean Morey wants to tank and Les won't let him? Is that what you mean? I seriously doubt Morey's money-ball philosophy is about tanking. He's got way too much pride to purposely make bad trades, and that is the only way he can tank. He's been unsuccessful every year at trading up in the draft. When he was hired to build around TMac/Yao, he landed players who he'd now have to trade away for guys like Thabeet. We obviously aren't getting quality young studs, because I'm sure Morey has tried. So, it would have to be trades that Morey knows are bad.

Besides, it is McHale who has more ability to tank than Morey.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'd rather move Scola for expiring contracts at the beginning of the season and hope to lure Howard and CP3 to come play here together. Scola isn't age appropriate for this team anymore anyways so I don't really see the point in keeping him when we won't be a contending anytime soon.

20. Raven

Raven Member

I'm a huge fan of Scola, he's my favorite Rocket, but he's a "win now" player on a team that's years away from being a legit contender.