1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] How James Harden worked overtime to build scoring streak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 2, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, I know, Harden work-ethic threads are boring. Never make it to 3 pages. But this is another level of increased workouts...maybe we'll make 3 pages.

Explain this: What is Harden not telling us?

James Harden lifted his season to record-book standards by working overtime. When asked what triggered the run unsurpassed in his career and in some ways in NBA history, Harden said he knew but would not say. But Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni revealed Harden took his conditioning “to another level.”

The run, D’Antoni said, began when the workouts increased.

btw: I thought Kenny Smith said there were no more Hand Checks in the NBA.

[​IMG]

How James Harden worked overtime to build scoring streak
    Jonathan Feigen , Houston Chronicle Jan. 1, 2019 Updated: Jan. 2, 2019 1 a.m.

Practice ends with the customary gathering at midcourt for a few words and a group shout of “one, two, three Rockets.”

Now, it’s time to go to work.

The previous 90 minutes were not wasted, filled with drills and instructions sorely missed during the heavy demands of an NBA schedule. But the practice still was not enough.

James Harden lifted his season to record-book standards by working overtime. When asked what triggered the run unsurpassed in his career and in some ways in NBA history, Harden said he knew but would not say. But Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni revealed Harden took his conditioning “to another level.”

Harden comes in early to do extra lifting. He runs the arena stairs before video sessions. On game days, he has added a morning session of treatment and stretching. And when each practice ends, Harden joins teammates Gerald Green, Danuel House Jr. and P.J. Tucker for one-on-one battles, sparring sessions in which the sparring partners hit back. MCW -- the rested man with length, not invited.

“He’s bringing his ‘A’ game,” House said of those competitions. “Of course, there is no referee so everybody gets real physical.”
    Harden was not out of shape before he cranked up the workouts. At the time, he led the NBA in scoring for a second consecutive season.

He has long been compulsive about never changing his training routines, never sitting out a game or practice. He was the last holdout when the Rockets all but eliminated morning walk-throughs. (They have held two shootaround this season.) His shooting drills remain largely unchanged from when he arrived from Oklahoma City in 2012.

Yet, he has increasingly added to his regimen, especially this season when the Rockets got off to a stumbling start.

“Every day, man,” Harden said. “I love doing it. I’m happy to be playing professional basketball and I would never take it for granted. So every day, I put the work in and I expect good results. And it’s happening.
    Road map to the greats

It’s happening beyond anything before, with 10 consecutive 30-point games, an NBA record eight straight with at least 35 points and five assists and a career-high four in a row with at least 40 points. He joined Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan as the only players in his lifetime to score at least 400 points in a span of 10 games.

The run, D’Antoni said, began when the workouts increased.

“Especially now, he sees that we can win the title,” D’Antoni said. “We could have won one last year. We’re as good as we were last year. This is a big moment for him to do that extra stuff he’s doing — eating right, getting in great shape — that’s what makes him so valuable. He does what he needs to do.”
    Harden has never done more, starting long before he arrives at the arena, from cutting out most processed and fast foods to the extra workouts.

Much is just from his ambition, undiminished by last season’s MVP or scoring title, “to be mentioned with the greats.”

“That’s what I put my jersey on for,” Harden said, “what I lace my shoes up for — to be the best I can be. When it’s all said and done, be mentioned as one of the best players to ever touch a basketball.”
    As with the Rockets’ championship aspirations, Harden adds that to reach those lofty goals he “has a long way to go.” He has settled on a road map to get there.

“At his level, he’s competing against himself and the game,” Rockets vice president and athletic trainer Keith Jones said. “I think he just competes to get better. It’s a whole other level physically and mentally. I mean, how do you get better than MVP? He’s out there working on it every day.

“He’s smarter about taking care of his body. There’s no pulling him out of games because he’ll fight you on that, but he’s gotten better at that. In practice, James practices harder than anybody. He comes in, won’t sit, always gets his extra shooting in. On the road, we have to wait for him to finish. At home, he’s the last one to finish. He comes in at night sometimes with his guys and gets more shots up. He’s not where he is by accident.

“His diet, he has a chef and eats a lot better, a lot cleaner to fuel himself. His massages and stretching, we don’t have shootaround so he comes in to get stretched and body work done and ice his knees. … Every year he evolves and it gets better and better for him.”
    All of that has built a game unlike any others, filled with crossover dribbles that can only be mastered in drills, and step-back 3-pointers he has incorporated into those shooting drills. This is not uncommon for the league’s top players. Harden has cited the examples of Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook when they were all together in Oklahoma City. Stephen Curry’s regimen is well-known. Jordan had his “breakfast club” workouts.

Rarely have the results of training done in private been as clear on the floor.

“With James getting so many double-teams and having to handle the ball and work to get his own stuff, having to work against Gerald, against P.J. against guys like that in a confined space, you learn even more how to get your shot off,” Rockets director of player development John Lucas said. ’“I told him I never thought anybody got three MVPs in a row. It turns out Larry Bird got ’84, '85 and ’86.

“Now, James should have had two in a row right now. He has got to be in the conversation of MVP now. He’s on another level right now. And I think there is another level in James. We talk about our turnaround. The biggest thing in our turnaround is him.”

Teammates benefit

D’Antoni said having the NBA’s reigning MVP running stairs is a good influence, but quickly added that he has a lot of that on the roster, citing the drive and leadership of Chris Paul and Tucker. Still, every day after practice, the player with the most on his shoulders piles on more.

“He kind of raised everybody’s level up and gets to the games in better shape,” Lucas said. “This is something he really wanted to do and it’s taken off from there for him. It’s helped Tuck. It’s helped Danuel House and Gerald Green. It’s really competitive. It really helps. A big part of our offense is iso, so it makes sense. They make him compete so hard, the games are easy.”
    More Hand Checks for grins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 heypartner, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I am so unbelievably proud.

Also, almost no one in the league is respecting that hand check rule.

Handles, Swiss Roll, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

man, I did a poor job of getting all the text the first go, copying around the ads. Added several paragraphs more at the end.

#3 heypartner, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    BigMaloe likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

IT isn’t a believer....

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Awesome article. Love PJ Tucker on this time. He is just as important as Harden in how he prepares and plays the game. I do worry about Tucker hitting a wall though. Last year he exceeded in the playoffs after a ton of miles. A part of me thinks he is one of those freaks (like Harden) that just get stronger and stronger the more they work instead of wearing out. That is the only thing I worry about with these intense workouts. Maybe other players on the Rockets will take notes and start putting in extra work.

Lawlruschang and Space City like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reader mode helps a lot. Keeps links too.

Handles and heypartner like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Let's take a moment to look at how T H I C C this MoFo is. Look at that muscle mass.

Harden-THICC.png

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Great Article!

Rocket River

AroundTheWorld and BigMaloe like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, he is a Piston.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thread title should be

How Mike D'Antoni over-worked James Harden to build scoring streak

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

heyp doing work with expert formatting, but make sure you give Feigen a click.

Great insight in that article!

theimpossibles1, BigMaloe and Voltik like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Harden is a damn tank. We should really try to save his body, don't want to break him down too much

AroundTheWorld and Lawlruschang like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Good! He still hungry and crazy to think he had another level. Now it’s time to come through in the playoffs, which still has not been on par with his regular season performance. Once he learns how to adapt and raise his level in the playoffs, then I have zero doubt that we can win a championship in the Harden era.

BeBreezy likes this.
  14. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I don't know about you, but I'm getting a much different vibe off Harden this year. I think he's solidly determined to take us all the way this year. He's adopted a Kobe-like grit since that awful loss to the Jazz at the beginning of December, a grit that I've not seen from him before.

15. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

[​IMG]

16. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

After reading this article i am so proud and feel so privileged to have harden on our team. You don't read about this stuff everday but it looks like he is mentally locked in and stepped up to another level this season

GreenHouseEffect and heypartner like this.
  17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It sounds to me that harden has finally figured it out and knows how to win and he the leader we alwsys he wanted him to be.

The whole team is following his lead.

We’re winning

I think we’re about to see James rip off a few titles for this city.

I don’t know how many could be 1 it could be 3 but I really feel like he’s going into Jordan/Kobe mode we’re he’s just not going to be denied.

18. theimpossibles1

It's been amazing to watch him evolve during his time here.

6th man --> offensive star --> MVP runner up --> MVP with good defense --> lately playing like an all time great with really solid defense.

Keep it going James, we're loving it.

GreenHouseEffect likes this.
  19. GreenHouseEffect

James Harden is boss. He about it. We gonna have back to back MVP, CP3 come back we going for that trophy again.

Deuce likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good user name