1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Does MDA Love Corey Brewer more than JBB does?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 7, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Gives us a little insight on why he played so much and was rewarded with that post-WCF contract.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ppy-for-Thunder-s-12733275.php#photo-12556108

"That's one of my favorite players, one of the funniest guys of all time," D'Antoni said. "He'll bring them energy and everything else. He's super.

"He was great in the locker room, first of all. He's funny, so he keeps things light. You know that every play, every day, practice, he's going to bring the right energy, the right amount of levity without being silly. He's a pro's pro. He doesn't shoot the 3 well, but the game we played against him with the Lakers (when the Lakers won in Houston with Brewer going 7 of 9 for 21 points) he made every one of them. It ticks me off. He's a big-game guy.

"There's so many positives. You can't go wrong signing a guy like that. Guys wanted to re-sign him just for being on the airplane laughing with him. He's terrific."

Don't forget the "ran out of talent" line

But there's nothing D'Antoni loves more than a good story, which is why ex-Rocket Corey Brewer will forever have a place in D'Antoni lore. Early this season, Brewer, who was traded to the Lakers in late February, took a pass on the baseline, drove, spun, shook two defenders with a 360 and missed a point-blank shot at the rim. "Coach, I did my thing," he told D'Antoni, "but then I got to the rim and just ran out of talent."

"Ran out of talent," D'Antoni repeats. "Best line in the history of basketball."​

[​IMG]

As I said in the Love anxiety thread, Corey must be the happiest guy in the world.

Btw: anyone have a link to that NBA joke video of players in a fake action film movie. Brewer was the one-liner guy.

D-rock, Deuce, TheMystery008 and 9 others like this.
  2. riko

riko Member

Funny and being a nice guy doesn’t get you wins in the nba or negate his horrible shooting and game momentum changing turnovers he was doing in regular occurrence

3. hakeemthagreat

He brings high energy & hustle. Those ARE things that get you wins. Also don't forget his 1st year here he was pretty solid, especially in the playoffs against the Mavs and the LAC (the comeback game). Brewer has his flaws but his energy is definitely valuable to certain teams

D-rock and joeson332 like this.
  4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

HE looks far better than ISO Joe so far....

Shoulda brought the brew back instead of the veteran home candidate

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

He def came up huge in that Clippers/Rockets series. Wouldn't have made that amazing comeback without him or Josh Smith. He lost his shot after his contract that off season unfortunately :(.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Brewer is easily in my top 10 favourite Rockets and people in the league.

7. riko

riko Member

He brings energy but he also has a lot weaknesses that negate his positive contributions.

saleem likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

What player doesn't have negatives? It depends on what the team needs at that particular time. Brewer was great coming off the bench his first year and brought much needed energy off the bench. His 2nd year was pretty bad. But he does have a value as a energy guy, which is why he still has a career in the NBA

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The thing about Brewer his second year was that he was missing at the rim. It was so amazingly bad you had to move on.

You could live with him not making 3s as long as he was running out turnovers and converting at the rim at a high clip, but suddenly that fell apart. He was blowing layups, missing bunnies, getting blocked by the rim, etc. that made his bad 3 point shooting even worse.

That said, the game has changed a lot since even his last year here. I'm not convinced you can win giving major minutes to a wing player that can't shoot 3s that isn't a game changer somewhere else. As an energy spark off the bench? OK for a few minutes maybe. As a regular in your rotation? No.

YOLO likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he retires a Rocket

11. threepointshot3

People forgetting how bad he was ?

seeingredtx likes this.
  12. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Nope, he was terrible and has no where near the talent needed to be on this team....great for OKC though...

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

A reminder... that it could be worse.