1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Feigen) - Canaan and Rockets have mutual interest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Jul 11, 2016.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Same thing I remember.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'd take him for the minimum for sure, based solely on the promise he showed here before injury. But I'm not buying the "he's one of the league's most prolific shooters" stuff. Not for a ~36% 3pt shooter.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

He already played in MDA's system. When he played for the Sixers last season, you remember, the season the Sixers had a conspiracy against Canaan to prevent the showcase of his Harden-like skills.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The Sixers were not playing in MDAs actual system

5. Sanity2disChaos

Lmao!!! Too funny.

6. buffalobills!!!

Clyde says we should sign the all-star

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA's system is never MDA's actual system unless prime Nash is running it.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

Would rather take a chance on Fredette

Lights out from 3, smart with ball, and good facilitator.
    Not saying he's a true PG, but I believe he would thrive in MDA's system
    with PnR's to help him penetrate.
    Can drain open looks

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Canaan never displayed a poor attitude from my recollection. What evidence do you have to support your claim about their attitudes?

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

McHale said it per Jopat the insider.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It was said that Canaaan was disgruntled cuz he thought he should have been playing instead of Jason Terry. Its part why Canaan was dealt, supposed differences with his place in pecking order. (I dont know who said it or how accurate that is)

I actually thought Canaan was every bit equal to Terry in on-court contributions. So its everything-equal go with younger player, but McHale I guess it was everything-equal go with experience.

I thought Canaan was gradually developing into what the Rockets wanted him to be, a spot-up 3pt bomber which occassional bomb off the dribble. But he also has big deficiencies in his game that were glaringly obvious with the Sixers. Which is probably what the Rockets saw up close too.

12. kevtse

kevtse Member

oh~ not this piece of **** again

13. basketballholic

This is pretty accurate. McHale picked at Canaan over his defense. Didn't want to play him. But he would play Terry who was every bit as bad (if not worse) defensively. But McHale justified Terry because he was the old man vet and had earned the leniency of not being picked on according to McHale. While Canaan was the young punk that needed to learn to respect the game.

IMO this was one of those situations where Morey should have told McHale to wake up and so being hard-headed. Canaan was and is the superior player to Terry at Terry's advanced age. But McHale made it clear that he wa s going to Terry and Morey gave in and traded Canaan for something that he thought might come in handy since McHale wanted defense so bad. Problem was KJ was and still is worse offensively than Canaan was and is defensively. Trade was a loser. We should kept Canaan and waived Terry for Prigs and then kept Prigs last season.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Terry was awful last year. Canaan could have helped us. I'm on board with the signing.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Come on, another non-defensive player...I generally don't like return of players, especially a guy like Canaan, but if he takes the minimum I guess it would be okay.

16. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I feel partly responsible even though I'm not responsible at all. I ran into him today at Summer League and I said "holy **** Isaiah Canaan. Come back to Clutch City, we need you."

And he gave me a fist bump and said "you tell them that, get them to call me!"

Now I wish I had taken a picture for the pics or it didn't happen crowd.

17. anchel

anchel Member

Terry was bad last year but was overall better than Canaan 2 years ago. Even defensively, let's be honest.

18. anchel

anchel Member

BTW, I always prefered Nick Johnson. But understand Canaan fits better in this team.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

For the minimum and 1 roster spot, it's not even worth a discussion. Do it or don't, will barely affect us. They are going to give all of the minutes to Harden, Gordon, Bev.

With Canaan I think he can become an effective backup. Focus on his development, have the coaches work with him on understanding his strengths and weaknesses and opportunities. Maybe by mid or late season he can give us some explosive scoring off the bench without MAJOR holes in his game.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

At this point, yeah, why not?

He's SG that will get PG minutes, which works for me given Harden runs the first unit and Gordon will run the second unit. Canaan could hypothetically play "point guard" next to either of one those guys.

He could potentially be a poor man's Barbosa.