1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

JaMychal Green would be Ennis on steroids, that's my get right now. McGee would flourish here in a backup role, finally someone other than part-time Nene. Great Rocket, but I just needed him to move on though. Iggy would be Shumpert on steroids, just not sure he's worth the money at this point, and on this team...

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Tomorrow outside? Hahah

hongxingli and Reeko like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Guess that says more about the Rockets than it does Iguodala. ;)

If Ariza wasn't worth $15M, Iguodala sure as hell ain't worth $17M AND a first.

[​IMG]

4. forchette49

Yes, but that's not the issue, it's watching everyone around us getting better.

5. WestendMassive

Surely there is another way to improve this team than trading our first round pick again?!

How long has it been since the draft has been something to look forward to for Rockets fans?

Or has Morey lost confidence in his drafting ability with first round picks? His record really is less than stellar in that department.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Serious question: is McGee smart enough to play in our system?

I mean, for the minimum, I get it: he’s a body. I’ve just never thought highly of his basketball IQ or instincts.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its hard for us to gauge what guys are worth. as you said Joseph got $13M. I think it depends on how much it takes for the player to want to play for you, and if you think that's your best opportunity to improve your team.

the warriors get everyone for the minimum. the Knicks have to overpay everyone, where do we stand with Marcus Morris, JaMychal Green, Danny Green, Justin Holiday, Boogie, Parker, McGee, Pope? hard to tell.

I just assume this - the clippers, lakers, and mavs will spend their money. if kawhi goes to one of the LA teams, there is $50M left to be spent. if he stays in Toronto there is $80M left. those teams will sign guys to large 1 year deals somewhere in the $15-20M range. so assume the top 3-5 remaining FAs get overpaid by these teams. that's d green, Morris, and j green at least.

there are 5 teams with more MLE money remaining than we have. 3 more with the same amount remaining as us. so hypothetically we'd need to look at McGee, pope, Parker, boogie, RHJ, cook, Gortat, s johnson, koufos, j grant, Caruso, d miller. some might get overpaid to go to worse teams, some might sign with LA for the minimum.

this is of course assuming the rockets want to spend their remaining NTMLE. its possible they just want to spend their remaining TMLE which puts them slightly above the minimum for some guys so maybe that's a deciding factor in coming here.

Vivi, IvanLCPM and don grahamleone like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Are they getting better than us? No. Are they closing the gap? Yes. What else is new? This happens every season when paper teams are the most important thing in the world.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Agreed, but Iggy is a FA next year, so spending a 1st on him is dumb.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

of course the won't do a 1st for iggy. 1- it would put them over the tax and I doubt tilman pays unless its for a superstar. 2-feigan is Morey's mouthpiece so its possible that terrible scenario is put out there so that we are all happy with the other option he mentioned which is just spending the minimum on a backup center and calling it an offseason.

you hit it on the head when talking about the bad intel on butler. it ruined their whole offseason. first, they were so sure that they were trading ego/clint for jimmy that they set up meetings on day 1 with centers. well now we don't need any of them lol. so day 1 when all the good stuff was happening we were meeting with guys we had no need for and no intention of signing once butler was going to Miami. embarrassing. and now that all the MLE targets have signed elsewhere they tell us there's no one else worth signing for the MLE so why spend it lol... yeah well NOW that's true.

its a self fulfilling prophesy. if you don't spend the MLE until all the good players are signed you can look around and say none of these other players are worth the MLE so I made the right call.

J.R. likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I would not like us trading for him when he's making 17 million considering IF HE ACTUALLY WANTED TO PLAY HERE he would just sign here if he gets bought out. Sounds like we know he wouldn't want to play here and therefore are trying to trade for him.

I wouldn't like it, that being said, if we did something like S&T Shump with Clark or something for Iggy, I wouldn't riot. I'd rather us do something better with a Shump S&T, I'd rather us just sign Iggy after a buyout or just sign Thabo Sefolosha instead... but I could come to terms with it if that was the deal.

If we add a ****ing first to that trade? I'll riot. I would no longer trust Morey's decision making. That would be horrendous.

joshuaao and lionaire like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I struggle with the idea of giving up a first round pick for him.

Deuce, don grahamleone and sammy like this.
  13. forchette49

No team has.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Imagine Memphis getting two firsts for 35-year old Andre Iguodala. :eek:

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

But then you arent getting under the luxury tax line last year and would be starting the repeater tax clock. We delayed it a year. If there wasnt anything to acquire to truly make us better it was the right move. Short term thinking. If we offered house that contract last year it wouldnt have changed much of anything that season. We probably still lose and we would be sitting here already paying luxury tax and only 3 years till the repeater. All for what? we still had house , and we would net 3 extra million for the tax payer MLE that we had to use on house this year? I mean I think getting out of luxury tax was a much bigger deal for our championship window than the extra 3 million this offseason

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sign Shumpert to a three year $75 million deal with the last two ($50 million) not guaranteed and trade him AND that 1st to Chicago for Otto Porter Jr. ;) ;)

Deuce, lionaire and justtxyank like this.
  18. UrbanEnterprise

I hate Iggy and McGee

no thank you

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Deuce and steddinotayto like this.
  20. Rocketsfan3422

I
    is McGee smart enough?..... Pass the back to harden and box out. Not hard