1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigan: Rockets likely to choose between Radmanovic, Murphy, Jefferson at 13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 26, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/954258

Feeling a draft

Rockets play wating game in uncertain draft

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets know what they want. They are all over that. A versatile forward that can shoot and a shot-blocking center.

They know all about the draft's talent. Tonight's NBA draft is full of versatile forwards who can shoot and shot-blocking centers.

But the problem is that on the eve of the draft, they had little clue about what will be available at No. 13, much less their two other first-round picks.

More than any draft Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson could remember, the order of players taken remained uncertain late in the process, throwing the Rockets' options into limbo.

But barring a major shakeup in the draft order or the picks expected to be made, the Rockets likely will choose between whoever is left between; forwards Troy Murphy of Notre Dame, Vladimir Radmanovic of Yugoslavia's Red Star team and Richard Jefferson of Arizona, or the draft's deep collection of centers.

"We're confused because we don't know what the people in front of us are doing," said Dawson, declining to speak of specific options. "They're confused because they don't know what the people in front of them are doing.

"Every time you talk to somebody, you hear something different. In years past, by now you would talk to people and they would say the same thing. It's really volatile for being this late.

"It changes every day, every day. If it would stay the same, we could leave. It's different today than yesterday, totally different than yesterday. It always changes, but more so this year because of the youth that's in front."

After the constant demand that a player fits well with his current players, Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said the Rockets' priorities were shooting ability and size. Tomjanovich spoke of the search for a scorer and a shot-blocker. If things fall right, they have a chance at both.

"Our concerns are trying to pick players that fit the players that we have, the guys who create plays for us," Tomjanovich said.

"Areas like shooting are always a consideration. We also have to think about size. I think we're one of the smaller teams in the league. Hopefully with those three picks we can get a combination of some of those things taken care of."

Because there is an unusually large assortment of centers expected to be taken in the top 20 picks, it would seem more likely the Rockets go after their perimeter option first.

Radmanovic would bring the versatility and shooting touch the Rockets covet and seemed to have a chance to last until No. 13. There had been indications Detroit would choose Radmanovic at No. 9, potentially allowing Joe Johnson to fall all the way to No. 13. But the Pistons seem more likely to opt for Johnson.

The Celtics, holding the No. 10 and 11 picks, would then be able to choose between Murphy and Radmanovic, leaving the other for the SuperSonics at No. 12.

Seattle is considered especially high on Radmanovic. But the Sonics have a greater need for a center. The Sonics sent two coaches to see teenager DeSagana Diop's workout in Philadelphia this week and have praised Diop extensively since. Seattle also has shown signs of interest in North Carolina center Brendan Haywood.

But many scouts have evaluated Radmanovic and Murphy as better prospects than Diop or the other centers.

If Radmanovic and Murphy are gone before the Rockets choose, Jefferson could bring the scoring talent they were seeking with tremendous athleticism. But the Rockets could consider his talents too similar to Shandon Anderson's -- as a strong defensive guard/forward, outstanding in the open court but with an inconsistent outside shot -- to fill a need.

At center, the Rockets were impressed with the workouts of DePaul teenager Steven Hunter and Haywood. Arizona senior Loren Woods or Ohio State senior Ken Johnson also would bring shot-blocking talents.

The Rockets also have looked at Stanford's Jason Collins, Seton Hall's Samuel Dalembert, Georgia Tech's Alvin Jones and Kansas' Eric Chenowith, all potential first-round picks.
    But with a draft considered deep in centers, and few centers expected to be available in next season's draft or free agency, there could be advantages in using multiple picks to take a center that would need time to develop.

"You don't see drafts this deep normally," Dawson said. "We felt this is a good year to have three picks."

But the Rockets have been pursuing a deal that would package their picks -- No. 13, 18 and 23 -- to move up into the top 10. But Tomjanovich said Tuesday that the odds are the Rockets would remain where they are.
    "I'd say there's probably an 80 percent chance we'll take all three and then 95 percent we'd take (at least) two," Tomjanovich said.

"There's been a lot more talk about it this year because we have more ammunition," Dawson said. "We try every year to move up. It's very difficult. This year there is more interest. It has been a lot more congenial. You don't get the door slammed in your face.

"You get a million calls from people wanting the 18th pick or the 23rd pick from us. We're trying to go the other way. But you get a lot of calls from people trying to get our pick. This is the most busy I've been on the phone. We're trying to move forward."

There were brief conversations with the Nets about dealing all three picks for the Nets' pick, seventh in the first round. Those talks did not develop, in part because the likelihood Rodney White would be available at No. 7 seemed to be diminished.

But with more recent changes in the projected draft order, White or 7-1 Spanish forward Pau Gasol could slip enough to offer a suitable carrot for the Rockets to move up.

But after weeks of trying to make a deal, a move that major would be a significant last-minute shift. But then this is a draft in which it might be best to expect the unexpected.

"We probably don't have a handle on it as much as in the past years, as much as we'd like to," Dawson said. "There's so many high school guys up in front of the draft, it makes it a little uncertain up in front of us. We don't know what's left for us at 13. It was crazy to start with. It's been longer and harder to figure it out than most years.

"But because the draft is so deep, it doesn't bother us."

It might even get them what they want, even if they don't know just how they will get it.

------------------
    The Mo Taylor Fan Site

"Basketball players win basketball games. Athletes win track meets."-- Shane Battier

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

Cat's Mock Draft

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Is it just me or do I think we are about to waste ANOTHER first pick on some overrated, no talent in the pros player?

I mean if Rudy and Co. go ahead and pick another first round bust, I am going to puke. After I finish puking, I am going to reduce my faith in their drafting ability with ANY first rounders. I mean, lets just skip the first round, Rudy, since it seems you can find HIDDEN gems and not the obvious, "no duh" picks.

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Thanks for the article kitty kitty.

Did Johnie say that taking the #7 is in the Rockets' court? That's the way that I read it... and it looks as if there's a greater and greater chance that White could slip to 7.

Hmmm...

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Achebe,

That's the very line/paragraph that made me perk up. The way it's worded, it almost seemed as if they were saying the Rockets could've gotten that #7 pick but since they didn't think Rodney White would be there, decided not to pursue it any further.

So the only way they'd move up that high is if White were there? How about Gasol or Johnson?

It all depends on what the intent of Feigen's wording was.

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Heb & Dr,

that would appear consistent with the "Don't talk about the player you most covet" approach the Rockets seem to take...

Smeg

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

6. Achebe

mmmmm hmmmm Smeggums.

Tomorrow we improve zee Rockets, zee nextin day we rename Mr. Smegemite.

7. Achebe

I just got a tip from my friends Ben & Jerry, and they made me wonder if Battier is going to still be available at #7.

Mmmmmmm... hmmmm.....

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

ESPN and others can beat up Battier sliding but there is no way he slides that far!!!!

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

9. Achebe

Smithers from chi-ca-go: The Nets also are in talks with the Rockets, who have been trying to move up and would trade their three picks for No. 7.

Smithers later goes on to assert that the Rockets would pick up Kirk Haston at the 7th spot (j/k).

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Insider today essentially backs up what Feigan said:

The Rockets will only it do it however, if one of the players they covet (Rodney White or Eddie Griffin) were to fall there.

Aside from that, here's something I just thought of. Let's imagine for a minute that the first six picks are Brown, Curry, Chandler, Griffin, Gasol, and Richardson. If the Rockets trade up for 7, do you pick Battier, White, or Joe Johnson? I would probably pick Battier... but was wondering what the consensus was from the rest of the BBS.

------------------
    The Mo Taylor Fan Site

"Basketball players win basketball games. Athletes win track meets."-- Shane Battier

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

Cat's Mock Draft

11. Toast

Toast Member

Isn't this a similar question to the poll on the homepage? I chose White then, and I stand by my decision.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

12. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Cat, what about Diop in your scenario? Please don't say he's a good pick at 11 or 12, but not at 7. Either he is a good pick or not. Either he will be a force for years or he will be Benoit Benjamin. Risk, reward, baby.

------------------

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Now that I've read my Feigan article according to ritual, The Cat, [​IMG] I can open this thread and reply.

I'm beginning to think that if our choices at #13 are gone we are trading down to #15 with orlando thinking 2 spots doesn't matter. Of course, presumably the reason they do this is to purge their pick and save salary cap. So it might have to be a 3-way where another team takes our pick. Detroit anyone?

So, am I do too boring and subtle in speculation to interest anyone? I mean, I did get excited about the Collier trade.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Was that before or after they announced it was Collier ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Aren't people predicting that Battier will move down to 7. I would trade all our picks for battier. We don't need anymore superstars. We got at least two, if not 4 next year (Franchise, Cat, Webber, Dream). We need a solid 3 who does the little things and can run the floor with the boys.

------------------