1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

February 8: NBA 2018 Trade Deadline Predictions Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...ll-star-break-feb-8/8tfnd7dj1v6n1ovifabwkx9mm

"The Board of Governors has voted to have the trade deadline the second Thursday in February, which will be Feb. 8, 2018, this season. In previous years, the deadline has fallen on the third Thursday of February, which is after the All-Star Break."

February 8
    NBA Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET)

QUESTION: Does Moving it before the All Star Break Matter?

Who do you think will be moving before that date?

As of now - I am clueless but we are 2 months away.
    Gasol maybe on the market
    If N.O. looks crappy they may ship Cousins

I am not recommending anyone for the Rockets
    Just asking in general

Rocket River

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

I think if Clippers keep slipping, we could see a DJ on the move. Gasol, Cousins, probably not.

xiki likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If OKC can't get it together at all and the playoffs look unlikely, I expect them to move George. Would be hilarious to see if they could get a haul anywhere near Oladipo and Sabonis.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I doubt OKC sells at the deadline, regardless of their record. They will limp into the playoffs just like the 2013 lakers and 2016 rockets, and if @RocketsTruth is to be believed, will either lose in the first round or win the title.

New Orleans will not sell at the deadline, too many bottom tier playoff teams dealing with injuries for them to miss it tbh.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am wondering how long The Brow will be ok with N.O.
    How many more years will he play there before he is ready to bolt

Rocket River

ghettocheeze likes this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wasn't a haul when Presti made the deal; now, deck the haul with boughs of Russ-y.

7. rockpileindisma

It's weird that you think that but you haven't made a thread about it yet

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Moving the trade deadline to before the ASB was a very good idea.

DJ, Julius Randle, Jalil Okafor, Lou Williams and Greg Monroe are all very likely to be traded before the deadline.

Memphis will stick with Marc this season but he could be gone next summer.

If the Pels trade AD this season or next summer, it will be to the Celtics. They can walk right in and trump any offer the Pels have on the table. IMO, if there is a blockbuster trade prior to next season, this is it.

mikol13 and seeingredtx like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj/Lowe:

(Blazers $115M salary, not including Nurkic/Napier/Davis/Vonleh next year) Lowe: I've heard any calls to break up their backcourt has been severely rejected.

Woj: Harkless has been discussed in different places. Kings had interest in the past. For Portland, they checked in on DeAndre Jordan. Neil Olshey drafted him the 2nd round. I'm told Portland has backed away a bit from that. If you're Portland & you do DeAndre Jordan, you're locked in financially. That's your team. You're giving DeAndre an extension. Is that team good enough? As of this weekend, I'm told Portland...that doesn't seem to be a road they'll go down. Portland is trying to figure out that 3rd piece. What will Nurkic be? Probably not a coincidence he didn't get an extension this summer. He's talented but up and down. You want consistency. They'll keep watching Nurkic. They could be active this week. On Lillard/McCollum, it's a great strength for them. If you're gonna move one, you want to make your team better. This is a team that has won a lot. Given everything, they've been to the playoffs 4 straight years. The group has had success. They want to keep building off those two. The guy they're excited about is Zach Collins. He's a building block for them & won't put him in any deal.

Lowe: Unless Clippers love Vonleh or Nurkic, I don't know. Evan Turner + Nurkic + Blazers pick isn't lighting my world on fire. I don't know what the deal would be. ... My impression is the Clippers are still open for business.

Woj: Very much open for business. More on the board for Lou Williams than DeAndre. Entirely possible DeAndre doesn't get traded. Anyone who trades for him, you want to know the cost of an extension. Not everyone is ready to pay him 4 years $100M+. Teams want him & would pay him but Clippers don't want to take back future money. Their preference would be to let him walk instead of taking back bad contracts just to get a late 1st. It's one thing if Cleveland gives the Brooklyn pick & Tristan Thompson. But you aren't taking on Tristan for the Cavs pick. They're trying to be disciplined in what they get back for him. If it's bad contracts that go multiple years, even with a pick, they may choose to let him walk.

Lowe: You reported Boston has made Marcus Smart available. He'll be a free agent & wants to get paid. What do they want for Smart?

Woj: Ideally, everyone wants a 1st for everything. Don't think they'll get a 1st for Smart. A lot of teams like him. He's a winning player. He can win you a game or two in the playoffs different ways. He brings intangibles, helpful to winning. 1st round picks are now only moved in 2 scenarios: to get money off & for a star player. ... It's probably likely Smart stays but when he didn't take the extension in the Fall, it's only natural you're going to be in trade talks.

Lowe: Any other teams you want to talk about before you go?

Woj: Boston will be interesting. Tyreke Evans? Got Greg Monroe. Brooklyn will be interesting. They've developed some second chance guys like Spencer Dinwiddie & Joe Harris. DeMarre Carroll has value. Brooklyn wanted to show progress & win more games. They've done a good job. Maybe Joe Harris gets them a 2nd. They have Dinwiddie under contract next season. You aren't giving him up without getting a lot back. Brooklyn put themselves in position to keep gathering assets here.

Lowe: If they could get a 1st for Dinwiddie, I think they'd think about it.​

BigMaloe and Vivi like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi and BigMaloe like this.
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

I predict:
    - DJ will be moved
    - Lou Willams stays
    - Tristan Thompson & JR Smith traded
    - Ryan Anderson stays
    - Kyle O'Quin traded
    - Aaron Gordon trade (if possible with injury)
    - Vucevic and Fournier stay
    - Clarkson traded
    - Reggie Jackson traded
    - Tyreke Evans traded
    - George Hill traded
    - Z-Bo stays

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Now Adams maybe moved??? LOL

Rocket River

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Bold prediction: Kenneth faried will be on the Rockets this year.

I always thought he would be a good get for us Energy guy. Like a younger nene. Trade black for him. I think a lol move like that would put us over the top. Plus a Brandon Jennings like signing

Codman and roslolian like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I would love Gasol for this team. Gasol for Anderson lol

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Kenneth Faried would be totally useless for the Rockets. At best, he's just a better version of Montrezl Harrell. The last thing in the world they need is a PF that cannot (1) protect the rim or (2) shoot the 3.

IMO, the NBA has passed him by like a freight train.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great post for discussion. Added my 2 cents.

- DJ will be moved I think he stays because his contract requires the Clips to take back salary
    - Lou Willams stays A near-certain goner
    - Tristan Thompson & JR Smith traded IMO, only one can be dumped and that would require the Nets pick
    - Ryan Anderson stays Definitely
    - Kyle O'Quin traded Agreed
    - Vucevic and Fournier stay Fournier is untradeable because of his contract
    - Clarkson traded Randle is more likely
    - Reggie Jackson traded Nobody wants the selfish loser
    - Tyreke Evans traded Definitely

More guys I think could be traded: Kemba, Mo Harkless (near certain IMO), Avery Bradley, Robin Lopez, possibly Rodney Hood.

Guys with bad contracts are likely stuck with their teams. Pending UFAs and RFAs currently in reasonable contracts are what contenders covet.

17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

My prediction is whatever cyberx/Codman/bimathug/potatohead predicts.

18. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Oh, and Burt Steele!!!!!!

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Have u been watching Montrezle lately lmao. Dude been averaging like 15 a game. I don't wanna be hostile. But do u watch basketball. There will always be a need for a energy guy, that goes for 50/50 balls set screens n roll. I don't know why u would think that lmao. Why do we have blk then for his 3 point shooting lmao. Think please