1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FCS Playoffs] Quarterfinals - Sam Houston vs. Montana St.

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by leroy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sam Houston State (11-0) vs Montana St (9-2) in the FCS quarterfinal round this Saturday @ 11 am in Huntsville.

Game will be shown live on ESPN.

This will certainly be a very tough matchup. MSU is a very good team and was previously ranked #1 before SHSU took over the top spot. Their only 2 losses on the season were to Utah and to in-state rival Montana (the #5 team in the FCS).

Here's a very good scouting report on MSU.

I don't think, outside of Montana, they will have faced as complete a team as SHSU. In the end, I fully expect to be 2-0 against bobcats this season.

#1 leroy, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Ready to watch this. Hopefully the Bearkats don't pull a UH/Sumlin and stink up the place. Would be nice to see the locals show up for this one.

4. leroy

I didn't get to see last week's game. How was the crowd there?

5. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Good luck to Sam Houston State!

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

It was full and loud. Coach Fritz and the players that were at the postgame presser last week made a point to mention that the crowd was great.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Can't believe this game is on ESPN. THE ESPN, not ESPN 12 or anything like that. Reminds me of when I went to school there and we played Alcorn State (with Air McNair) on national TV.

I have sort of a bad feeling about this game. Montana State seems like they're in the playoffs every year so this is nothing new to them. I hope I'm wrong.

8. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

I plan on going to this game even though I have no ties to Sam Houston whatsoever. Any idea if the game gets sold out early or anything? Or can I just show up to the gate that morning with tickets available? Any experienced Sam Houstoners out there to help me out?

9. leroy

You should be able to walk up but I'd do it early. Game starts at 11 and they expect to sell out.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They should sell SRO tickets and just let people sit on the grass. I would hope they want the place to look as full as possible for ESPN.

[​IMG]

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

They've been to the playoffs five times since 2002. They are actually overshadowed in their state by the Montana Grizzlies. The Grizz won the Big Sky Conference title every year from 1999 to 2009. They have only missed the playoffs three times since 1993. On a couple of occasions, the Bearkats have faced off against the Grizzlies in the postseason, most notably in 2004.

Montana was actually offered a spot in the WAC when they expanded last year, but they declined. Probably a smart move, as the WAC is a sinking ship and they have something good going down at the FCS level.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After watching tonight's game, it's good for Sam Houston they are playing Montana State instead of Montana.

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

If they win tomorrow, they'll get Montana as well. If there is a team in FCS hotter than SHSU right now, it's the Grizzlies. They've now beaten their opponents by 25 points or more in five straight games.

Thankfully for SHSU's sake, if they get there, the game won't be in Missoula.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Absolutely sick catch from the Montana State player.

15. jman255

jman255 Member

What a surprise to turn on ESPN this morning only to see the Bearkats being broadcast nationally. They're 12-0 this year and they were terrible while I was there, so it's exciting to see them win!

16. jman255

jman255 Member

What a run back!

17. leroy

Wow. That was just pure domination...especially in the third quarter when Sam pulled away.

13-0. I loved the sign in the crowd that said "Bring on LSU"

EAT EM UP KATS!

18. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

I think Sam Houston St. can beat UH, Boise St., and all the teams from the Big East.

19. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Go Kats! Hopefully all the way to Frisco

20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I hope you're joking. Watching that game was painful.