1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Western Film

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Sep 17, 2013.

1. droxford

droxford Member

I never liked John Wayne in any movie.

Clint Eastwood, and it's not even in the same ballpark.

2. the shark

the shark Member

"I never liked John Wayne in any movie"? :eek:

I guess each his own but WOW I've never heard anyone say this about the Duke.
    What John Wayne movies have you seen?

3. TheresTheDagger

Need more love for 3:10 to Yuma.

Good calls on Tombstone, True Grit, Unforgiven and Open Range.

Also, no mention of High Noon? Magnificent 7?

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Then you haven't seen The Searchers, plain and simple. Then again, you don't have to LIKE his performance in that movie to acknowledge that it is GREAT.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NnsdJVMBQW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Raven

Raven Member

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I don't' consider it a western per se but The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the bomb!

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

(Cringe...)

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

win thread.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Unforgiven

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I put in High Noon a couple of pages ago and pretty sure Magnificent 7 was also mentioned .

How about The Missouri Breaks . Had this on the dvr and finally watched it a few nights ago . Not the best ,but pretty good movie worth watching . Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando .. worth watching to see Brando as a straight up psycho .

Can't even count the times I've watched this movie .. definitely makes my top 5

11. body slam

body slam Member

Unforgiven - overrated. Don't get me wrong it was good, but I don't see it being as great as its made out to be.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

That was quite the trollish response. Doesn't mean I haven't watched anything before then -- just wouldn't put any of the oldies in my top ten.

13. DAROckets

How about Mackenna's Gold ? Loved this one as a kid but have never seen it played on tv or talked about . One of the biggest all star cast ever assembled for a western .

Gregory Peck,Omar Sharif,Telly Savalas,Keenan Wynn, Burgess Meredith,Eli Wallach,Edward G. Robinson

14. droxford

droxford Member

^ Was an EXCELLENT western.

I've seen John Wayne in Rooster Cogburn, Rio Bravo, True Grit, The Green Berets (not a Western), How the West Was Won, ... and a few others... and I haven't liked him any any of em.

I haven't seen The Searchers, and I'll give it a try (with an open mind).

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

High Plains Drifter : Where frontier rape is justified and fun :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjFuN00yGzI

16. DAROckets

In most of these you named Wayne plays a similar type character . Besides the Searchers also check out Red River , The Shootist and maybe The Cowboys . He steps out of his typical role in these and may be more to your liking . Also try The Sands of Iwo Jima for another non western or maybe even The Quite Man . All excellent movies and very different from the Rio Bravo/Lobo type roles he played .

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The Proposition is a pretty underrated western. Brutal flick.

[youtube]G7V-CW_SUos[/youtube]

Also a big fan of The Assassination of Jesse James, beautiful cinematography

[youtube]-FsN_utDELE[/youtube]

18. Buck Turgidson

Has anyone mentioned Pale Rider? Glaring omission.

"YOU!!!"

And 'Tom Horn' and 'The Man From Snowy River'

19. DAROckets

I had Pale Rider back on page 2 .. Tom Horn is also a good one based on true events . I think TMFSR is the only movie mentioned in the thread that I've failed to watch .

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Here's several of my favorites. Most of these have probably already been posted. I've posted a comment here and there. I've attempted to keep them in order of the year they came out, but they are not in any order of preference. I don't doubt that I've forgotten some good ones. Sorry the list is so long, but I simply love a good western. Except for a few of the earlier films, I saw these in a theatre when they came out. My Dad was a movie junkie, and he loved westerns. I got hooked.

Stagecoach - 1939 - John Wayne becomes a star as this film changes the Western.
    The Ox-bow Incident - 1943 - One of the early "adult" westerns.
    My Darling Clementine - 1946 - One of several treatments of Earp and the OK Corral, and one of the best. James Stewart is excellent as Wyatt Earp.
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 1948 - Brilliant acting, brilliant direction, the best role of Tim Holt's career, and one of the best films from Bogart.
    Red River - 1948 - Wayne proves he's an excellent actor, if anyone needs proof, and Montgomery Clift is a perfect foil.
    The Gunfighter - 1950
    High Noon - 1952 - Brilliant!
    The Naked Spur - 1953
    Shane - 1953 - A classic! Easily Alan Ladd's best western.
    The Searchers - 1956 - John Wayne's best role, in my opinion. Another "adult" western, and another classic.
    Rio Bravo - 1959
    The Magnificent Seven - 1960 - A western "buddy" picture, and it's really good.
    One-Eyed Jacks - 1961 - Brando!
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - 1962 - Another terrific film from Wayne and Jimmy Stewart.
    How the West Was Won - 1962 - Too big, literally (I remember seeing this when it came out at the Cinerama Theatre, not far from where the Galleria is now), but highly entertaining. Love the soundtrack.
    A Fist Full of Dollars - 1964 - Like Stagecoach, a film that changed how westerns were made.
    Cat Ballou - 1965 - Hilarious!
    The Professionals - 1966 - Sam Peckinpah. What more do you need to know?
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - 1966 - Is the spaghetti ready?
    Will Penny - 1968 -Often overlooked, and one of Charlton Heston's best acting jobs. Don't miss it.
    Once Upon a Time in the West - 1968
    The Wild Bunch - 1969 - Another great western directed by Peckinpah.
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - 1969
    Little Big Man - 1970 - I saw this with my Dutch girlfriend in Amsterdam while drinking Heinekens, in 1971. A special film. See it.
    McCabe and Mrs. Miller - 1971 - Hard to describe. One of my favorites.
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - 1973 - See above!
    Blazing Saddles - 1974 - Like Cat Ballou, hilarious!
    The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976
    The Shootist - 1976 - Wayne's last film, and he's tremendous.
    Unforgiven - 1992 - Deserved its Best Picture Oscar. Dark and amazing.
    Tombstone - 1993 - Another one of my favorite westerns. I don't know how many times I've seen it. Are you my huckleberry?
    Lone Star - 1996 - Another western often overlooked. Terrific.

#80 Deckard, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013