1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite or saddest moment at The Summit/Compaq Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robroy77, Jun 2, 2010.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Mine was in 1997, Rockets VS Lakers and Charles Barkley hits a 3 to give us a 2 point lead with 3 seconds left. I looked at my friend in crazy excitement and said "I hope the game goes to overtime, I don't want this fun to end yet!" Well Nick Van Excel hits a jumper to send it to overtime, and then Eddie Jones hits a last second shot to win in overtime! Moral of the story, no matter how much fun you are having, if you are winning the game don't wish for overtime. It could bite you in the butt! What you guys got? We need to time away from Bosh and the Draft trade rumors.

2. foo82

foo82 Member

Saddest moment when the Summit became The Lakewood Church Central Campus

1 person likes this.
  3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Worst has to be when that lil maggot Stockton hit a 3 to send the Jazzholes to the Finals. It completely ruined the Rockets vs Bulls finale that would have put so much debate that goes on today to rest. :mad: :mad: :mad:

:(

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My saddest moment was Stockton's 3 pointer in 1997, I was 8 years old and couldn't stop crying

Happiest moments were the 1994-1995 playoff runs where I went to every home game

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It was the first year the Summit opened and my first NBA game... Rockets vs. NO Jazz. I remember my dad being excited about watching Pistol, how Mike Newlin was my favorite player, and me thinking about how ugly Rich Kelley was...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Da Dream

Da Dream Member

my favorite moment in the summit/compaq center was the first time yao vs. shaq in houston. the first posession yao blocked shaq and on the other end he scored over him the first possession. we ended up winning the game in overtime much thanks to stevie franchise and a late yao dunk.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

One time, after a game, I tried to hurdle the guard rail leading into the parking garage and came up a little short. The people I was with still talk about it every time I see them, this incident happened in about 1976. I think it is their favorite Summit moment. I think it is my saddest moment.

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

two favorite moments of actually being in the summit.

a 93-94 regular season game against Seattle, Dec. 11th 1993. Most physical, heated game in the regular season I've ever seen. Rockets won 82-75 in a dogfight. The crowd was really into it, because both teams had 18-1 records.

Went to Game 3 1995 Finals. No more to be said there.

Saddest moment at the Summit was losing a regular season game in OT to Utah in 96-97. Rockets were up 3 and Stockton hit a game tying 3 to send it to OT,(and this was after Barkley hit a three in the corner to put the Rockets up 4 with a half minute to play.). Jazz won in OT 105-100.

Who knew that Stockton's shot would be a preview of what he would do to the Rockets in the 1997 WCF.

9. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Saddest moment ever:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nd9TjOU08LQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nd9TjOU08LQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Favorite Moment: 5/1/1994 - Being at the Summit, on the floor behind the basket to watch Hakeem swat Strickland, who thought he had an easy layup after stealing the ball from Hakeem.

That was the only game I saw there. The rest have been at the Toyota Center during the disappointing Francis/T-Mac eras.

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

Stockton 3 point in WCF :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

I still refer to it as Compaq Center when it comes up in conversation; that's what it will always be to me.

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Saddest is obvious really but losing game 4 vs the Sonics in 96 is a close second.

Happiest, the championship years are #1 no doubt but another was Eddie Johnson's game winner.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

My happiest moment was when Hakeem shot and hit on a 3 point shot in the closing minutes of game 4 of the 95 Finals. I was on one of the last rows in the lower bowl and I jumped up punching the air and actually ended up punching the ceiling. My hand hurt for days afterwards. I did not care.

As for saddest, I agree with an earlier poster who said the moment it became Lakewood Church.

15. foo82

foo82 Member

Ya I saw that video again like a few weeks ago. If there was anything better than icing, cherry, or strawberry on the cake, that would be it. That is what I felt when Hakeem hit that three. It was just the best way to end it.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'm a young fan, so one of my favorite moments in the Compaq Center was then Steve Francis scored 44 points to beat the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers. Also once we were down by 5 in the final minute to the Clippers, and Glen Rice made two straight shots to help us force overtime, and Corey Maggette had a lane violation, and missed the other free throw to help us get to overtime.

Sadly, I was too young to remember the championships, so all of my basketball fan memories of the Compaq Center are pretty dark.

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

It wasn't either my saddest or happiest, but my most memorable moment was when Kevin Johnson dunked on Hakeem in the playoffs. It was pretty incredible. I has an awesome view of it.

18. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Well, I feel stupid. It happened in Phoenix. I've never been to Phoenix :)

19. stab

stab Member

Best: Game 7 of the '93 finals: Mad Max hitting the dagger 3ptr to put us up 8 and seal the 1st ever championship to H-Town..

Worst: Stockton's 3ptr and bear hug assist from the Mailman..

20. Pocket Rockets

I was at that game against Seattle. I remember it was definitely a heated contest. I also remember yelling at the refs to call illegal defense almost every offensive possession we had!

Favorite moment had to be Eddie Johnson's shot in 97 Game 4. I fell to the floor (aisle seats) after he nailed it. Ironically between the 1st and 2nd quarter I got to go down on the court and shoot freethrows for 30 seconds against another person. The day before I had won a shooting contest at Randalls on westheimer and won 2 tickets to that game with a chance to shoot on the court. I did end up making the most freethrows.

Worst moment (at the time) was 94 game 2 WC semis vs phoenix....blew that 20 pt lead in the 4th.