1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Father on hospice...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Andre0087, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How do you handle it? My mother passed already but my heart right now just hurts so much.

Exiled likes this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

I'm sorry you're going through this Bro, there is really nothing that anyone can say to ease your pain. Trust in God and try to make the best of the moments you have left together. Tell him everything you've always wanted to tell him, ask him every question you've always been curious about and tell him you love him

boomboom, mikol13, K mf G and 2 others like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is his passing imminent? I am sorry for you and your dad and your family. @Fantasma Negro said it as better than I could.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you are on hospice it means they believe you have 6 months or less to live.

To the OP, I'm sorry for what you are going through, there's nothing that anyone can say that will make you feel any better. Unfortunately this is just one of those things that will take time to cope with.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While that may generally be true, my mother has been in hospice care for almost a year.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It might just be a medicare rule and there are certainly cases where people have been diagnosed with less than 6 months to live and ended up living much longer than that. Either way, when I've had loved ones on hospice care in the past it has always felt pretty imminent. Hope your mom continues to beat the odds.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

:(

sorry you're going thru this breh. my thoughts are with your dad. @Fantasma Negro has said it best with better eloquence than i can ever say.

#7 Jontro, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Hospice is viewing inevitable death 1000 miles away. You know its coming.

Every relationship is different. Some want to leave life knowing they left it a better place. Others need to know they are going to a better place.

No matter of the situation, you will always have that haunting thought. That regret. The wish you could go back and relive a moment over.

The important thing to know going in is to remember the good times in the final days. You'll have the rest of your life to regret the bad things. Perhaps keep a journal during your experience, making sure you note the good times together and leave out the bad things.

Jontro likes this.
  9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

My father died suddenly, not sure what's worse. Honestly the stress of worrying day in and day out is way worse but as poster mentioned before this is an opportunity to have those deep discussions and ask anything you want. I wish I would of said and done things different.

I'm very sorry your dealing with this, yes it's a part of life but it's never easy

Exiled likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Remember the good times, be there right now in the hard times.

There is nothing any of us can say that will make things better. It sucks, there's no way around that, worst year of my life, but I do promise that you will get over and beyond.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sorry to hear this. I lost my mom earlier this year after a prolonged battle with kidney failure. All I can tell you is to take advantage of the time you have left.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This.

My father passed away in hospice care. We literally pulled the plug on him with the assisted breathing at the hospital. He survived the trip back and lasted for another four days. It wasn't until we told him that it was okay to go that he finally left us. He had fallen in a coma while he was in ICU and I remember everyone telling him to come back and fight up until his last day at the hospital. But the facts were there, cancer had spread throughout his body, and it had to have been painful.

So even if he's in a coma or in a vegetative state, make your peace with him and don't hold back because of habit or your relationship with the way things were. This is your last chance.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This gives you and your father a chance to say to say goodbye. Take full advantage.

boomboom likes this.
  14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. My father was in the hospital for a month and a half in an induced coma from which he never awoke. My advice is to enjoy the time you have with him. As hard as it may be, don't mourn him. Just enjoy the time you have with him. You and your father are in my prayers.

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I want to echo all those that said now is the time to go talk to him and say all the things you wanted to say. I only got to see my dad once while he was in hospice care (it was at his house). With kids and work, and blah blah blah, I couldn't be there much. He passed pretty quick (I want to say like 2 or 3 weeks). I got a call from my brother to try to get to the house because they thought he'd pass soon.

I was probably like 3/5's of the way there when they called me again and said I should say goodbye on the phone, because it was going to happen soon. I did, and he passed almost immediately (like he was waiting for some closure). I still feel bad that I wasn't there to say goodbye in person.

16. BleedsRocketRed

My father was just diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer in October. Inoperable, and at this point its not about curing him, but keeping him alive. So I feel your pain OP 100%.

Everything right now is just a shock and blur. I thought to myself why can he just die suddenly and not have to grieve his impending death. However after having some time reflect on things, at least now I can cherish every single minute with him. Tell him things I have always wanted to say, take care of any legal business and tie loose ends. I told him how I felt about him and what he has meant to the family.

Its hard, I wish this upon nobody, but it is something we all will have to cope with at some time. You will go through all the feelings. I know I have thats for sure.

If you need to reach out, hit me up. You can always use a bro

boomboom likes this.
  17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Thanks everyone for your prayers and advice. He passed away this morning, he was unconscious for most of the weekend but Saturday I asked if he recognized me, he nodded slightly and I told him I love him very and if he understood, he looked at me then back to a blank stare and gave me one last slight nod. He hadn't eaten or drank anything for almost a week but I thank God for that moment since it's the last we would ever share on this Earth.

boomboom and BleedsRocketRed like this.
  18. the shark

the shark Member

Sorry to hear this.

Spend as much time with him as you can. Talk about the things you always wanted to talk about but for whatever reason you haven't. No idea how much time he has left. When we moved my dad to a hospice facility he passed away about 14 hrs later.

It was extremely hard to go through this and I leaned on my faith with Christ every step of the way.

Hang in there Andre. Be there for your family as I know you will be.

Sorry to hear about your father as well BleedsRocketRed.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

So sorry that you are going through this, but I am very happy for you that you were able to share that moment with your father. You have my condolences. May your father rest in peace.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I feel you, bro. Sorry about your Dad's passing. I hope you get some closure.

I mentioned on here before my Dad has Azheimer's and his dementia is pretty bad. He took his first fall a few weeks back while walking the dog and busted his face up pretty good...which made his mental state worse. He's lucky he didn't die. My Mom is also really fragile. I'm not sure how much longer they have but it feels like life is on hold. There is no fun to be had anywhere in my life right now. And, my brother's situation is worse because he basically had to move in with them and I have to be there to give him a break from it. It's just all about them right now and taking care of them. I feel pretty alone right now. Life sucks. Not sure how much of this I can take but, somehow, I guess I have to go on. I guess all we can do is hang in there. But, it's just going to get worse. I don't really look forward to anything anymore.