1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fast-Tracking a CoV-19 Vaccine: Why Should We Worry?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jim petersen84, May 26, 2020.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Instant vaccine.....no thank you! I’d rather take my chances now with my handwashing, masks, distancing and boosting up my immune system. Ya’ll can take the shots if you want.

B@ffled likes this.
  2. Senator

Senator Member

As far as vaccines go - what is the latest onset a patient can take it to actually help them beat the virus? If someone is in ICU, is there any point? Or is it only seen as a preventative? Hard to convince me to stand in a line and inject myself with yet another vaccine when I've taken so much care to not be a carrier.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC vaccines take weeks to be processed by the body.

If you are in the ICU, you will need a therapeutic.

Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With Trump going into election season throwing gobs of money at drug companies to have something... anything to claim to the public that he saved the day... now go vote for me and trust me... if you liked the first 4 years you’re going to love the next 16.

What could go wrong???

I think the public is right to be weary of this first vaccine that gets thrown out there but I do still think we’ll have some scientific data to go off of to make a decently informed decision prior to getting injected. Also it’s unlikely many of us normal people will be lucky enough to be getting a vaccine before the rich and powerful. We’ll have time between it hits the market and I’m sure people outside of the drug company that makes it will blow the whistle if there’s issues they find. Keep in mind there will also be competitive pressure with other drug companies to disprove the other company’s miracle drug and promote their solution.

I think the biggest concern is mostly Trump honestly. What is he going to do during this process because you know he cannot resist the ability to label himself as the savior of the world and he cares very little about the effectiveness of any drug come mid November the day after the election.

#5 dobro1229, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  5. ymc

ymc Member

Unless clinical trials show extremely favorable results, normal people might just get the first shots before the rich and powerful. After all, this is the first ever vaccine for any type of coronavirus. It is likely to have some unexpected side effects when it is injected to millions of people. I would rather wait for countries in need (e.g. Brazil) to test it out before I give it a try.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldnt think any young person should be in a rush to take a vaccine. This virus isnt as deadly as the flu for healthy people.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the effectiveness and safety is not certain, you can probably expect they'll prioritize essential workers to give the rich and powerful some time to see if it works. They can chill on their islands a little while longer.

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I imagine that the military will get it first. Usually how it worked when I was in.

JuanValdez, Ziggy and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Where did you get this idea from?

Amiga, London'sBurning, Nook and 2 others like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Fast tracking a retrovirus vaccine is a trope inside those exposition montages you see at the beginning of newer zombie horror movies.

That or planet of the apes.

Nook, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

According to German oncologist Claus Kohnlein, we may well be in the era of “virus mania.”
    ______

@Yung-T @AroundTheWorld

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Trump University, Trump Steaks, Trump Stimulus and now soon coming near you the Trump Vaccine...no thanks I'm no guinea pig. I'll follow the science and only the science...

13. Nook

Nook Member

What a lot of people are forgetting is that it isn't as simple as "I'm safe, I won't die from it". There are many older or compromised people that can get it from someone healthy. Those people can include family members and others.

Concerning the vaccine. It needs to be properly tested and not rushed for political reasons.

RayRay10, Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Looked him up.
    He's anti-vaxx (for all diseases)

things like ebola, Sars, covid etc were invented by institutions to make profits with the medication and vaccines

hiv isn't a result of aids, but things like stress or smoking.

TL;Dr he's a total f..in nutjob and shouldn't have a medical license.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Well of course we will have to wait awhile for better analysis but I havent read about very many young, healthy people dying from this virus. But you may be right as not many young, healthy people die from the flu either. I still wouldnt be lining up to take a vaccine very soon.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

we take vaccines for the good of the herd, and mostly to protect those most vulnerable.

my friend w R.A. May not be able to handle a vaccine, but if you and I can get vaccinated, that would help protect him.

Nook, RayRay10, Andre0087 and 4 others like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This is false.

The reality is that we really do not know for sure what the fatality rate is because we do not know what the actual infection rate it. It is all an estimate at this point. What we do know is that in the USA, between 4-5% of those diagnosed with it die from it and it is going to be higher looking at the number of cases where there isn't a resolution (those that are still in the hospital). The early research also shows that there are different fatality rates for different strains of the virus.

What is continuously not acknowledged is that healthy people that contract the virus and survive can give it to other people that are not as young or healthy, and in that case the fatality rate is double digits. There is a strong element of social responsibility that is being over looked.

A vaccination needs to be properly vetted and politics needs to be excluded from the equation. A vaccination that has not been properly tested can cause death or injury and undermine the validity of vaccinations overall which would be a horrendous outcome. People need to be vaccinated for a host of illnesses.

We cannot and should not live in a bubble as we do not know how long this pandemic will last. However, thus far we have not shown we are capable of doing so. There is zero excuse for people to not be wearing face masks in public places. It is incredibly rude and disrespectful to not do so, It should not be a political issue, it should be something practiced due to civic responsibility.

We need to open up businesses and public areas that are not massive contamination vectors. Responsible businesses should be allowed open with reasonable requirements to limit the virus. Those businesses that fail like the bars and clubs we saw should be shut down until further notice. Having a liquor license is not a right, it is responsibility.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and Yung-T like this.
  19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member