1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fascinating article! What's wrong with the music industry...?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrianKagy, Jun 16, 2000.

Tags:
  1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

I'm telling you, the recording industry is evil.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Fascinating.

Those leeches.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Unfortunately true, for every millionaire rock star there are 100,000 cases outlined in the article. I recorded and played club gigs for over 10 years in the LA area. Here is a personal case in point:

A friend in Los Angeles had a moderately successful club band (Alternative Rock) that played all over Southern California and did alright. Desperate for the deal, he & his band signed a contract with Capital Records for one record with an option to do another. Recording fees, front money, etc. put him & the band $100,000 in debt to Capital. They finish the album, present it to Capital Records, and the label tells them it is "substandard". They ask to re-record. The label says no, terminates the contract and demands $100,000. When they don't get paid, they file a lawsuit. The bands "lawyer" (the same one who "negotiated" the contract) basically tells them that the music business is a gamble, and they got ****ed.

My friend now works at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. He makes minimum wage, and he lives in his car in the Tower Records parking lot.

Space City is correct. The recording industry is evil. That's one reason why I'm glad I moved back to Houston.

------------------
    Bring It!!

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm curious about this....is Capitol permitted to release that album since they terminated the contract?

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

RP...no they are not. The only way it can be released is if someone pays Capitol off to get it out of their vault. Either way, Capitol makes $$$ big time. [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

7. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

I've read this article before along with many others on this subject. In my research, I've found that in many cases bands would be MUCH better served by signing with and Independent(Indie) Label. The record industry is indeed evil. Long live the independent musician!

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I also read a similar article, it's true though that is whats wrong with the record industry.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This has been floating around for a while now. Basically, the record industry sucks.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com