1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FA's coming to Houston next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Mar 13, 2017.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Ibaka is NOT a great rebounder. 6-7 rebounds a game is actually poor. In addition, Ibaka has regressed as a shot blocker and defender over the years. He's not worth a max contract. Pass.

Pen15clubber, Richie_Rich and Reeko like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't think anyone said anything about a max contract. Is he worth that at this point? probably not but he definitely should be a player the rockets should take a look at.

3. hakeemthagreat

Don't listen to some of these guys. If Ibaka was from Europe and looked like DMo, you'd never hear the last of his name. We should be DEFINITELY take a look at Ibaka. He's basically better than any current PF we have right now

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Got him there

5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

A max is what it will require dude. Ryan Anderson gets 20 million- do you thinkSerge Ibaka will receive less than that when the cap is set to increase again this summer?! Pass.

6. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Thats an ignorant statement. Being from Africa or Europe has nothing to do with me saying pass on Ibaka. Ibaka is in serious decline. He's not even as good as an older Paul Millsap offensively or defensively. I'd much rather have Millsap over Ibaka. Heck, I'd take Taj Gibson over Ibaka too. Neither look like broke back D-Mo who I didn't want either.

7. hakeemthagreat

Taj Gibson? Lol. The fact you posted that nonsense let's me know how off you are. Just because Milsap may or may not be a better fit doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at Serge. There is no rapid decline like some of you foolishly insinuate. He's athletic, defends, blocks shots, runs the court and hits 3's. The Rockets should ALL OVER Ibaka in free agency

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

once again so what he gets paid that much. it's pretty much relative to what ibaka decides. he could very well take a little less than his own max to maybe join a better situation. still doesn't change the fact that the rockets should give him a look.

I keep reading you trying to sell Ibaka and this massive decline. What's that based on? A default narrative? he doesn't look like he's on this huge decline you are suggesting. He's still playing like a solid player and blocking shots. nothing out of the ordinary that we've seen from him

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

As Ibaka's game has moved more toward the perimeter in recent years, his shot blocking and rebounding numbers have declined. Some of that may be the effect of age and wear and tear, too. But I don't think he's fallen off significantly.

Oh, yeah, and then there are the "he's actually 45 years old, you never know about these NBA players who came from Africa with their false birthdates" etc etc.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

a lot of that has to do with the how the game is played now and adjustments guys are making to be effective. Same can be said about all of the other bigs that are actually good in the league as far as moving toward the perimeter

if he's 45 and doing this still, sign me up lol o_O

11. fattz

fattz Member

So you don't think he got a "rub" by playing with two of the best players in the league? Just a thought.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Sources tell me Jimmy Butler wants to play for the Rockets if we change our name to the Tomball Rockets and turn SANTIKOS SILVERADO movie theater into the new arena.

Rodman23, samtaylor and HTM like this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

I like that movie theater tho.

samtaylor likes this.
  14. AirPower

AirPower Member

Why does it seem like you always turn discussions in something racial?

DudeWah, justtxyank and Pen15clubber like this.
  15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why we trying to get rid of Ryno? Dude keeps the court spread. Llull C

Pen15clubber likes this.
  16. hakeemthagreat

Is that what i did? Lol. You seem more focused on race than i am. Calling out euro biased fans have nothin to do with race. Facts are facts

17. AirPower

AirPower Member

It's not "what you did", it's "what you do". If you're only intent is to call them out for being from the Euro league that's one thing, but you qualify it by saying "looked like Dmo" which I can only assume means white. What does who the individual looks like have to do with anything?

Hey, I could be wrong here, and entirely possible I'm getting you confused with some other forum goer, but the original comment comes across as if you are saying "If he were a white European" vs "If he played in Europe".

DudeWah likes this.
  18. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I'm going there on Saturday to see Beauty and the Beast

19. ilias

ilias Member

Millsap is the better player, but Ibaka is the superior fit because he can play both PF and C, plus he can shoot the 3. You can run him at the 5 next to Anderson and not lose any of Capela's rim protection and rebounding, while having 5 shooters on the floor. That lineup would break the NBA offensively. You cannot do that with Millsap, playing him at the 5 next to Anderson would be a disaster defensively. Putting him at the PF spot next to Capela would improve our defense, but worsen our offense. Perhaps you could play him next to Dekker for some minutes, but that would not improve our rotation dramatically.

In any case, most likely we cannot afford them without trading someone in our rotation, which could create another gap. Best way to upgrade is at the 3 spot, where we can offload Ariza to create more cap. I think we have around 16m space (assuming we remove wiltjer, nene etc), moving Ariza and Lou would get us to 31m, which would be enough for a max player like Hayward or PG.

D-rock likes this.
  20. rockets13champs

JJ Redick come to Houston and be our 6th guard that can shoot 3s!!!!!!