1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FAQ: Amnesty Rules, Dwight Trade, Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Richardson would be a prime candidate for stretch buyout if we are right about how it works. Depending on how our search for a center goes, DAvis may come in handy, he has the bulk and the experience playing C in the NBA.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure the answer but ESPN TRade Machine's salaries are not up to date. Still showing Dalembert on the team and no cap room.

Also, whether HOU is under the cap for the purpose of a certain trade may be a matter of trade timing and structure. HOU may have cap room now, but then lose it after making a deal.

#42 Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

got an opinion on this whole "using stretch provision on traded players" question Mr Herrera?

Are we understanding it correctly?

4. Pete the Cheat

Have any of our trades become official? Could we conceivably ship some of these non-guaranteed contracts to Orlando direct from where they came in a pseudo-multi-team deal?

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

The Dalembert, Camby and Lowry trades are all official.

As of yet, no offer sheets sent out to Asik and Lin, paperwork for Scola amnesty not due in till tomorrow if you believe the reports.

6. Pete the Cheat

so before any Dwight deal (as presented) could become official... we are basically looking at some time tomorrow after the amnesty ink drys

7. Knight

Knight Member

I am confused. Can the rockets send Orlando a pick protected from being oother the lottery much like the Toronto pick we got? If so this would allow us to possibly send Orlando our pick next year. Ie if we are in lottery then Orlando gets the pick. If not Atlanta does. The other team gets the 2015 pick.

8. TheresTheDagger

You must spread some reputation around before you can give it to justtxyank again.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thats the consensus I think.

Scola was amnestied to clear some cap room to help absorb the additional players ORL wants to send back. If that was the dealbreaker(not enough cap room to absorb all the players) then the space would not be freed up to finish the trade till after Scola has been *officially* amnestied.

All of what I said is null and void if the reports are false. (kinda wish they were, I liked Scola)

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

No, not possible, because then you technically wouldn't be guaranteed a first rounder is 2014.

11. kgw

kgw Member

What happened to the first round pick we acquired in the deal sending Brooks to Phoenix?

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The Suns pick was the #23 pick in the 2011 draft. We moved up from #23 to #20 to select Motiejunas.

13. Road Rash

Road Rash Member

damn....... repped.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Updated with stretch provision, twitter links and other useful links.

Glad so many people are finding it useful.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member

Can we talk about sign and trade options once we have howard? If we have howard and he wont sign ,our next step is to do a sign and trade? Presumably with Brooklyn?

So we should be looking at Brook Lopez? I am assuming that there might need to be a 3rd team and perhaps Morey feels that he can get a better deal for Rockets next year in a sign and trade getting rid of Howard, than the ORL since ORL has all these bad contracts. Right?

I mean I guess I am not clear on what kind of better deal we might be able to get from Brooklyn that ORL couldnt get now. How are we going to be in any better position to work with Brooklyn?

We have to be looking at this as what 3rd team can we work with along with Brooklyn, perhaps a trade to someone else even, or sign howard. Seems like the 3 choices.

Stupid question can howard go into FA and sign for 1 year at min or something like that, then go ahead and get max money the next year at team of choice? How long or years does that all work for?

Thanks..

16. justtxyank

Not stupid questions. I'll answer these as best as I can, but keep in mind that part of the answer is going to be opinion.

1) Sign and trade with Brooklyn or during the season: To me (my opinion) this is an absolute non-starter. Brooklyn has nothing of significant value unless you consider maxed out Lopez a star. I don't and I don't think many in the league. In fact, aside from Ric Bucher, I haven't heard anyone say they thought Lopez was good value for Dwight. If I'm the Rockets I simply refuse to trade him to Brooklyn just like the Magic have done. If he refuses to play for you and you have no choice but to consider sign and trade options or a deadline deal, I'm willing to talk to LA for Bynum or other teams for really high lottery picks or a superstar.

In other words, I don't think we will have any good trades to make for him aside from Bynum. I think this plays into Morey's thinking. He can refuse to trade Dwight.

2) Can he go into FA and sign a 1 year deal for the minimum and then get max?
    No. To establish his bird rights with a new team (which is what he would need to do in order to get max dollars from a team over the cap like Brooklyn) he would have to be under contract for 3 seasons.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like brook lopez come to rockets. I can almost hear morey saying that 'he had an eye on lopez' and 'our kind of player' and 'with the picks and other assets we can contend and maintain flexibility' just knowing this whole thing and the bad way it could go ..no shocker.

Sign and trade seems to be the next step once we get Howard.. and we need to understand what we can and can't do then. I don't, and that's why I am asking here. Thanks!

18. justtxyank

I'd be stunned. Lopez is not a star player and as such he doesn't fit what Morey has said whatsoever. Morey gave that interview where he described his plan as either getting the foundation star and then putting pieces around him and sometimes overpaying for them OR avoiding debilitating contracts for players that aren't foundational and maintaining flexibility.

Lopez isn't a foundation piece. Not even close. Taking him back on a max contract would be ridiculous.

This is a matter of opinion. Many of us do not believe Howard will ultimately be signed and traded. To do so he'd have to give up a lot of money.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member

I'm just saying who knows with morey. I am speculating based on one reality being that I think we will have to work with Brooklyn pieces.

20. justtxyank

Why? Orlando just rejected Brooklyn and we can do the same. He has no leverage to get himself to Brooklyn because he can't sign there.